I'm such a running nerd, so forgive me. But my ALL TIME FAVORITE RUNNER, Deena Kastor, announced today that she will run this year's Boston Marathon. I am so excited! Granted she'll finish about 1-1/2 hours before me, but I will be running in her fast little footsteps and feel inspired. Ever since I watched her win the Bronze medal in the 2004 Women's Olympic Marathon in Athens, I have been a loyal fan. She came from behind (at one point being in 28th place), suffered through the heat and humidity (80-degree weather) and pulled out a medal for the U.S.A.! When she entered the stadium they announced her name, and then they announced she was in position for the Bronze. At this point she broke down crying as she continued toward the finish line. When she crossed the finish line she was bawling into her hands, dropped to the ground and kissed it! I lost it and started bawling myself, extra proud to be an American, AND a runner. I told you I was a nerd.
Here she is again, setting the American Record in 2006 for the Women's Marathon. That's 26.2 miles at a blazing pace of 5:19 per mile!
Thanks all for sharing my enthusiasm (or at least pretending to).
C'ya tomorrow.


4 comments:
Lillie said: but I will be running in her fast little footsteps and feel inspired.
ahhh that's great you are going to have a blast in Boston!!
I would have teared up on that Athens race to if I saw it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
and WOW 5:19 per Mile by Kastor is SIMPLY AMAZING!!!
You are not alone being a nerd! I read that yesterday and was actually excited (even if Boston is just a very long term goal for me).
And I hope you noticed that Jelena Prokopcuka and Rita Jeptoo also confirmed! Wow... that will be a memorable race on the women side!
BryanK
There once was a Big Guy
So is Meghan Arbogast! She was F8 last year at WS100. She will be trying to qualify for the Olympic Trials 2008 in Eugene. She missed it in the Twin Cities Marathon.
No, she is not as fast as Deena Kastor but she will be riding and running with the Elite gang.
I saw her at the MLK run in Eugene a few weeks back and she thinks she has a pretty good shot. Both her and I PR'd in Boston in the past. It will be fun to watch her, and the other ladies of course.
lol...I was tearing up just reading your blog about her. I remember watching that finish! Gives me the chills!
Post a Comment