Here's an excellent article from Runner's World Online called
Race Your Best 5K Ever. Based on the calculations I should run the first mile of a 5K around 6:45-6:50 to set a new 5K PR. I don't know if I can run that fast right now, but I digress. Anyway, I can see how this logic might work. When I run the
Goal Pace - Tempo - Goal Pace miles back to back, the last round of Goal Pace miles usually ends up faster than the first round. Is it muscle memory perhaps? I don't know. I'm running a two mile race at the end of the month. I don't know what the course is like (hilly or flat???) but I'll run my fastest for the first mile and try to hold it for the 2nd, and see what happens. I can't wait!
It's soooo cold out right now. The dog's water was almost completely frozen this morning around 7:30 a.m. I had to break it out of his water dish. The pieces of ice are still intact right now and laying on the lawn where I broke them. CRAZY! I want to go on an easy run of 2-3 miles today before picking the kids up from school, but don't know if it'll be too cold for the baby in the jogging stroller. We'll see. I might just have to bundle him like a little eskimo.
My Little Eskimo
Okay, we made it back from the windy 3-mile run. We stopped at the park so I could do the CrossFit WOD (workout of the day) which was pull-ups. I did 10 "jump" pull-ups with several seconds rest between each one. The "jump" means assisted and was from a foot bar underneath the monkey bars I used. I have a weak upper body, and I am already sore! Glad to be home now. The kids are home from school & it's time to play.
TOTAL MILES: 3
9 comments:
It must be awesome to be a runner who can think of improving race times. I'm still all about FINISHING. :) My training pace is my tempo pace is my race pace: S-L-O-W.
Yes,it is good to do shorter races to build speed. After all to race fast you have to train fast also. (not all the time of course.)
Did you check out the article on Tweitmeyer? What a stud! He ran his last WS100 this last year and finished M9!
Like Athena and so many others, I'm all about finishing. I have my 1st race next month and it is an 8.15 miles. I don't know how I will do. My only hope is that I could finish it. That is why I'm trying to increase my run by 10% evey week.
Anyways, hope everything is going well with your training even in a cold and freezing place.
Increasing your long runs by 10% each week is a very good way to do it. Your most likely to avoid injury that way.
Jojit, you will definitely finish your race! And you will LOVE it.
I'd seen the link to your blog on the RW masters group...just want to tell you, you're pretty awesome! I understand the guilt of the "selfishness" of training when you have a family, but that's the thing that keeps you sane.
Put all your efforts into Boston...it seems like you're balancing everything right now and you have a husband that makes it doable for you. Amazing too you're in that kind of shape with a little one....my hat goes off to you!
Your son is ADORABLE bundled up like a little Eskimo!!! I wish it was that cold here...LOL. You can sweat without exercising just by walking outside!!!
Thanks again for the encouragement. I think I am just so frustrated that I tore my ACL back in June and it is STILL not fixed. If I wasn't so scared for surgery, it wouldn't be as bad to wait another month either. Waiting is stressful...LOL
Great post Lillie. I'll check out the 5k article. I may have read it but just don't remember.
Athena and jojit .... keep up the good work and train both fun and smart. Add some speed or races when the time is right but not too much. Keep running fun and you'll keep running.
Ray G.
Hello Lillie, grrr on the pull ups--whew!!
I was never really into weights even when I played sports in HS and College and the PULLS UP was always my worst :-( so way to go on trying them, they are tough!!...
WOW Good luck with your Boston race and hitting your PR.
Great Blog I will be back,
Bob
WOW, it's REALLY cold where you are and you're still running. Frozen water? Yikes! I'm in San Diego and the weather has gotten cold for us and I considered going to the Y instead of running. And it's not even nearly cold enough to freeze water. Now I feel like a wimp!
Post a Comment