Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Friday, February 16, 2007

2nd Speed Day

I'm tired and sore and I'm gonna post this quick because I want to soak in the cold water pool before my hubby and baby get home. I also need to eat.

3 part speed workout today: 3 @ Goal pace -> 5 x 800s -> 3 @ Tempo pace
Started with 1.25 warm up to the gym
A) 3 miles @ 8:16 pace (24:50) on "hill" program. 8 minutes total uphill time. Inclines were 3.8, 4.9, 6 & 7.1.
3-4 minutes recovery brisk walk

B) The 800s
1. 1/2 mile, 4% incline, 4:01
2:30 recovery brisk walk

2. 1/2 mile, 0% incline, 3:27
2:30 recovery brisk walk

3. 1/2 mile, 4%, 4:04
2:30 recovery

4. 1/2 mile, 0%, 3;26
2:30 recovery

5. 1/2 mile, 4%, 4:01
3.5 to 4 minutes recovery brisk walk

C) 3 miles @ 7:18 pace (21:55)
Followed by 1.25 mile cool down home

I need to figure out how to push it harder than that on race days. I think I'm racing my workouts too much, and not racing my races enough. I have to knock that off if I'm going to race faster, win age groups more, and improve my times. God help me.

Combined with the recovery distances my TOTAL MILES: 12.5
YESTERDAY'S MILES: 5

1 comment:

seagull junker said...

It is good that you train fast sometimes. (I am no expert on the subject mind you.) But read Scott Dunlaps blog on VO2max. You have to scroll down a bit but can find it on the right. Lot's fo good information on training.

http://runtrails.blogspot.com/2007/02/my-vo2-max-test-results.html

Scott's blog link can also be found on run100s.com web site.

Good luck. I am starting to understand it. I think it helps to alternate training days. Plus, I like my long slow runs.

good luck,
tom riley