The baby was my alarm clock. He got up at 4:30 and I nursed him like usual. By 4:50 I was getting my running clothes on. After I sneaked a kiss to my sleeping husband, I took a deep breath and said to myself, "Let's git 'er done."
It was 5:00 a.m. when I stepped onto the porch. The rain was coming down but as I locked the door I felt a little excitement, as though I was about to head out on an adventure. I haven't run at 5 a.m. for almost 2-1/2 years. I hadn't had coffee yet, just a few sips of water. It was very dark. If it weren't for the street lights and the kind neighbors who leave their porch and driveway lights on, it would've made for a cancelled run.
Turns out it was just fine. I saw three cars drive by on the major streets, but I was running through the more residential areas. At 5:15 I heard my neighbor's rooster crow. I smiled. Aaaaah, "good morning" said the old fashioned way. I love it. When you run alone in the dark, you tend to be on HIGH ALERT status. At least I was this morning. My eyes did not stop scanning my surroundings for a second. I also carried some protection and I'll leave it at that. But alas, I live in a peaceful and safe neighborhood, thank God. Still, you never know who might be coming through the neighborhood and it's best to be prepared.
I finished the 3.2 mile run at a 9:13 pace. Came home and made coffee, which I am now sipping. Hubby is off to work and the kids are sound asleep. I'm going to have a nice, hot shower before getting on with the day.
CrossFit Workout of the Day (WOD) is:
For time do -
50 - 20" box jumps
5 - Rope climbs
50 - Kettle bell swings
50 - Sit Ups
50 - Dumb bell hang power cleans
800 meter run (I'm skipping this)
50 - Back extensions
I will do it but improvise on the kettle bell (use a dumb bell), and the rope climb (use a towel hanging over the pull up bar). For box jumps I'm going to jump my stairs, and for back extensions I'll use the floor. I can't wait. I love these workouts! Don't forget to see the CrossFit "exercises" page for clarification.
As I finish this post, I hear the rain coming down HARD. So glad I got out there this morning, but I prefer running with sunlight.
TOTAL MILES: 3.2
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


1 comment:
Lil Said: I haven't run at 5 a.m. for almost 2-1/2 years.
Geesh the only time I get up that early is to go deep sea fishing...hmmm I need to plan a trip soon....
yes, glad U had some protection...U never know what whack is around that early... funny about the roooster that is old school
Ok well let me finish my sec cup of coffee then I am off to the POOL, gonna run in the late afternoon... that seems to working pretty good for me.
TC,
Bob
Post a Comment