Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Monday, February 12, 2007

Almost Recovered & Feeling Like a Girly Girl

I'm feeling so much better today. After polling many different runners, they came back with the same recommendation: skip the 16 miler this week, take Monday as a rest day like usual, and proceed with my training schedule as I normally would on Tuesday. The consensus was that one missed training run would not adversely affect my marathon training at this point. As a running addict it was hard to accept that advice, but I'm glad I did because I feel almost 100% today!

So I'm going to talk about Katherine Switzer and RunningSkirts! Katherine Switzer was the first woman to ever run the Boston Marathon with an official number.

(Photo courtesy of AP Worldwide from KatherineSwitzer.com)

In 1967 she registered as K. Switzer (smart gal), and at approximately Mile 5 she was practically assaulted by race organizers as they rushed her in an attempt to tear her number off her body. Her boyfriend at the time protected her by tackling the race organizers and knocking them to the ground. Who said chivalry was dead? She finished that race quite shaken, but she finished! She went on to run many more marathons and she paved the way for gals like me who just wanna run and race!


In the book I'm reading, 26 Miles to Boston, there are some great photos of Katherine running in her 3rd Boston Marathon wearing a tennis dress. She looked strong, feminine, athletic, beautiful, all at once. I looked at the picture and thought, "You go girl!" Who said running skirts were lame? Those women have never run in one! My favorite skirt is from RunningSkirts.com. I have the link all over my blog site in case you hadn't noticed. :)


I've tried other brands and returned them because either the material felt cheap or the skirt was frumpy and baggy. What I like about RunningSkirts brand is the fabric is high quality and wicks moisture away. The seams are reversed so there is no chafing which causes raw skin, and there is no bunching between the upper thighs as there usually is with shorts. There are built in bottoms that don't creep up at all while you run, everything stays put! What I like about that is I don't have to mess with tugging here or pulling there while I run, I can just run. And you know what, they're darn cute! I have a feeling the pioneer in women's marathon running, Katherine Switzer, would give a thumbs up for running skirts (no matter what brand).


This is me crossing the finish in my running skirt. I'll be wearing one in Boston too.

Run on and run strong!

4 comments:

seagull junker said...

I see them all the time on the trail also. And the next race here in the Oregon Trail Series, Hagg Lake 50k all the men are suppose to wear them too!!! I don't know if I can do that, I'm chicken you see.

Saw Katerine Switzer last June at the WS 100 awards ceremony. Pretty cool.

When you go to boston they will have what she had on during her race also. Check it out.
tom

Anonymous said...

That is so cool that the men are supposed to wear skirts. Go fo a kilt. You'll still look manly. C'mon Tom!!!

I will definitely check out Switzer's dress when I get to Boston. Thanks for the tip. I cannot wait to run there!!!

Arron said...

great pic of her boyfriend laying the smack down on that dude! glad you feel better, now get back to training :) !!

SoberMommie said...

Love the running skirts! I wear them all the time. ;)