Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Long Steady Distance Day & The BLUES

Oh man, I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Ask my husband! I was a crusty crab all through breakfast. Coffee was no help, again. After breakfast I felt so blah, I didn't want to move. I laid on the couch and crashed out for a little bit. When I woke up I felt much better. I suddenly got the fire in my belly to run the 20 miles scheduled for today. It was raining out so I resigned myself to doing it all on the treadmill at the gym. I survived it only because I had a headset.

I ran the 20 miles in 2:55:48 for an overall pace of 8:47. Miles 1-10 were done at an avg pace of 8:54. Miles 11-15 were done on the hill program with 15 minutes total uphill time at an avg pace of 9:00. I alternated hills with flats every other minute. The last 5 miles were done w/ 0 incline at an avg 8:27 pace. (My last 2 miles were done at an 8:05 pace). I cooled down with a quarter mile jog/walk.

At 2.5 miles I suddenly began crying, on the treadmill! I don't know what happened but I was overcome with emotion and sadness. People just looked at me like, "What the hell?" I said some prayers for God to get me through whatever it was I was feeling, and He heard me. I felt better by the time I got to Mile 3.

I was so glad when the run was over. I almost jumped up and down like Rocky, but decided that crying during my run already freaked everybody out enough.

After I got home I soaked in the cold pool again. Always so refreshing (said with a touch of sarcasm). Now time to relax with the family.

Here's a picture of the medal from yesterday's race. I thought it was neat because instead of using a traditional ribbon, they used a shoelace! :)

TOTAL MILES: 20.25
WEEKLY MILES: 45.95

6 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

That is a COOL Medal !!!!!

Hey NO CRYING in Baseball !! oh wait that was from a movie... ummm NO Cryin' on the Treadmill :-)

well jeez maybe after the 20 miles U can Cry .... OK it's OK to Cry a little bit. I would have gave you a hug after your Run on that treadmill...yes I would have Hugged you... Miss Sweaty :-)

so when You gonna plan some ULTRA's You would be a great Ultra Runner...

Bob

GB said...

Aaw Bob, thanks for saying you woulda hugged me! It's really quite a bummer that everybody just looked at me strangely and NOT ONE person asked, "Are you okay? Can I help you?" Oh well, at least I can count on you buddy! :-)

seagull junker said...

great run after having such a great race! Smokin'

keith said...

sometimes finishing a race leaves one a little more emotionally vulnerable than you think...either that or 17 miles to go on the treadmill...

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tom! You're smokin' those Ultras!

Keith, maybe it was the fact that I had 17+ left to go on that Dreadmill. But I'm thinking it's that I was just exhausted. I needed a longer nap.

~GB

Unknown said...

AHHH emotions!!

Let it out girl!!!
Why do we always beat ourselves up for letting our emotions flow???

I think the older I get I am coming to terms with my emotions and of course hormones almost never are blamed for a good mood ;0)


Great job on your run on Saturday! I do love the shoelace idea!

Have A Great Week!

Gladys