I love rest days. I've said it before and I'll say it again, they are the best! Met some girlfriends for coffee this morning and it was so nice to be in their company. I miss my girlfriends from work, so it's great to get together with friends around here.
So yesterday I watched American Chopper on TLC and it was part 2 of the guys' trip to Europe. They visited Stonehenge, they kissed the Blarney Stone and they finished with a trip to Omaha Beach in France. I was intrigued. Here these guys are, big, rough and tumble, custom motorcycle builders, being humbled by the history that surrounded them on their journey. They showed great appreciation for all of it, especially when they visited the beaches of Normandy. I couldn't help myself when the camera panned over Omaha Beach and all the decaying bunkers... I sobbed uncontrollably! My heart just felt so sad yet so grateful for all of the American soldiers who bravely fought there during WWII. Talk about being humbled by it all, and I was just watching it on TV. I think I was also crying because somewhere in the recesses of my heart I worry about my nephew in Iraq.
My husband looked at me and said, "Are you crying?" I laughed and he laughed and I said, "Yea. Can't help it." Then I added, "There's no crying in American Chopper!"
Anyway, on a lighter note and back to running. I'll be running an easy 6 tomorrow up in the hills again. It's my dad's birthday tomorrow and we're celebrating with a BBQ, then I'll run before we come home.
I hope you all have a great weekend! I have only 2 more 20+ milers to run, then it's taper time! Woo woo!
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


4 comments:
Ya the emotions of those who have close ones over in Iraq is tough...very emotional time for many many families! War Sucks!
But ya I agree NO Crying in American Chopper :-)
Take care hun and have a good weekend,
Bob
american chopper and crying? i bet that is a fist :)
that kind of stuff always gets me too. i mean its REAL, it happend, and it is happening. very sad.
later.
I hear you GB, thinking about those who gave their lives in the WWs and others is different when you know someone fighting in the current war. Just thinking about it can make me tear up.
Thanks for all your thoughts and insight! I think you are right. I've been doing a lot of reading lately on training and I'm coming to realize that intervals in marathon training are different than the intervals I've been hardwired to doing since high school/college (I'm only three years out of college).
I did recently discover the Macmillan calculator, which is such a fun tool! That's a great idea about shortening recovery times.
Hopefully I can learn how to slow down in order to speed up, and get back to those PRs! It's hard having the same motivation now as I did on a team, but so far this year I've done really well. I'm so grateful for all your comments! I hope you enjoyed your rest day. =)
Taper time is a tough time. Do you think you will have runners withdrawl?
Post a Comment