I had a great new workout today. Most of you wouldn't consider this a workout, but since I NEVER swim it was definitely a workout for me. I haven't swam for exercise in months, and the last time I did it I was hurting!
At lunch today I went to the gym and swam 40 laps, which in that pool is equivalent to 804 meters. I did it in 35 minutes, kind of slow because I had to stop frequently to get my breath back. I really worked on form, trying not to kick so much, trying to roll side to side, and trying to prevent my hips from dragging. So I went slowly, and you know what? I loved it! Every minute! I can't wait to swim again next week. I'm hoping to get good enough at swimming that I can eventually give triathlons a try. (Just the mini ones though).
My toe kind of hurt around lap 14, but then the soreness went away and I think it was actually good for it because the swimming forced movement in the area but without the impact of walking on it.
Tomorrow is a rest day. :) Thursday is more CrossFit, and the elliptical for 1 hour.
Here are the pics I wanted to post.

These are the wonderful kids in my daughter's class that I taught the JUST RUN program to. They had just finished their marathon mile and got their finisher's medals. I was SOOOOO proud of them. Can you tell?

Here are the awesome kids in my son's class that I also taught the program too. They're toeing the line to start that last mile! I was so happy for them.

The children that did not participate in the Marathon Mile program lined the "course" and cheered for their fellow students, high fiving them along the way. It was so great to see the support for the runners.

Lastly, here's my little slugger about to connect with the ball and hit it clear over 3rd base to the left field. He's also got quite an arm for being such a little guy!
Thanks for reading.
9 comments:
Great photos! I love swimming, too. Do you have a Masters swim team where you are? I enjoy going to their practices as it provides variety to my swim workout. :)
Tri's huh? pretty cool. you won't ever see me do them, swim as good as a lead weight i do.
Ultra's maybe??? Really, the best place to learn is at
http://www.run100's.com
Kevin Sayers site is just as good.
http://www.ultrunr.com/
Really, there are so many links to information it will keep you busy for a long time.
at Kevin Sayers site you can subscribe to the Ultra list. A forum that holds discusions on ultra stuff. it can be informative and sometimes the topics are not worth reading, because of personal interests. All you have to do is say you are a runner and would like to join the list. The only problem is you will get anywhere from say, 20-80 emails a day. it is going to get really busy before and after states, like always.
but even these two sites have links to books.
basically you build up milage the same way you do in marathons, but just to a greater degree. oh, you do have to learn about taking care of your body much more in an ultra (ie, salt intake, foods, hydration, etc, etc). you just can't fake an ultra like you can in short races.
much easier on your body running on the trail. plus the commradarie is incredible. how great is it to have a leader of a race cheer me on when i am at the back of the pack when they have done the out and back in some race? pretty cool i think.
the scenery? incredible. ok, there are some pretty awesome marathons too. but really being in the mountains running with friends, an me, taking pictures is pretty awesome.
plus, it is cheaper than marathons. i think i paid $40 for my last 50 mile run. (that's 4X cheaper than a marathon mile for mile for the most part) and i did 3 50k's last december and the total for ALL events was $3.
good luck checking out those sites. if you want to email me feel free so i don't take up so much space on your blog. or i can continue to blab here, if you don't mind.
mbtriley2002@yahoo.com
tom riley,
have fun in whatever you do.
Mini-tris, my foot. You'll be an Ironman in no time. :) I have a feeling that once you train up a bit you'll be just as awesome at triathlon as you are at running.
Hope that toe continues to improve!
How great of you to teach running! I wish someone had taught me that running could be fun when I was little! :)
Also, it rocks my socks off that you are a police officer! I didn't know!
I use swim somehow but I've tried to come back a few times I even took lessons about 1.5yrs ago the coach infront of the whole group yelled "you, you its all in you head!!!" I'm still strugling to get back
official time for the marathon was 4:18:26
Ditto Mir... you won't be doing sprint-tris for long. You're an Ironwoman at heart. :)
I have not been swimming in ages...i use to all the time...i do miss it :)
Great pics..
way to go on the swimming, I need to step that up more...great pic of the Kids!!
Hi SL,
Glad to see you have recovered nicely after !oston.
I am doing well. I haven't been online much lately. Ash and I took a loong weekend off down at Amelia Island, Fl but I still managed to get in 21 miles of running last week. It is hard to get online now that the weather is nice. We have been spending so much time outdoors lately.
Take care
Post a Comment