Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Saddened

Can I share some bad news? My dear, childhood friend, Mario, was struck by a car yesterday during his bike ride and unfortunately did not survive. He was just 38. I went to JR high and Highschool with him, and we went through all our Catholic education together. Many many good memories of him. He was like a brother to me. I'm heartbroken, but okay. I remind myself that God's will has to prevail.

As far as running:
Yesterday I opted for stupidity and ran 3.2 miles in 101 degree heat at 3:15 p.m. I drank 16 oz. of water in the first 3/4 mile. It was so hot that I could only manage a 10:00/mile pace. I was dizzy for 2 hours afterward, even after rehydrating and eating. I wonder if it was a sign of something (related to Mario's accident).

This morning I put the baby in the jogging stroller at 7:30 and we did 4 miles together at an easy 9:00 pace. I just finished some core work: As many sets possible in 20 minutes of rotating through 15 tuck jumps, 15 burpees w/ full push up, 15 box jumps (used the 2nd and 3rd steps on my staircase) and 15 towel pull ups (threw a towel over my pull up bar and as I jumped off the ground, I see-sawed the towel to mimic rope climbing; one pull w/ each jump off the ground was all I could handle). I managed to complete 4 sets. It felt therapeutic and today I need that.I'm wiped out for the day, I think.

Please say a quick prayer for Mario and his family. Thank you friends. Be careful out there, please, and whether or not you're a believer I'm going to pray that God bless you!

7 comments:

Ms Eva said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. My heart goes out to you.

DawnB said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. God be with you and his family during this period of mourning.

Curro Ergo Sum said...

My deepest condolences. All I can say is RUN IT OUT. When I lost one of my Marines in Iraq, I found great solace in some good long runs. Sweat and tears look a lot alike, so it's a great time to get those feelings out. My prayers are with you.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! How did you hear the news? I can hardly believe it.

kelly said...

I am really sorry about your friends accident. Celebrate his life rather than mourn his death. He was so young and it is so sad.

GB said...

Hi Kelly, you're so right. I will indeed remember Mario for who he was rather than how he died. He was an angel and would want us all to remember the fun times with him.

Mr. JK, thanks for those encouraging words. I did run hard today because I needed it. Thanks for your prayers.

Dawn and Makita, thanks gals so much. I deeply appreciate it.

Maxe, sister, I sent you an email about Mario. I'm sure we'll talk soon. Love you!

Mir said...

I am so sorry to hear about your friend! It's so jarring and terrible to lose someone you're close to. I hope his family is getting on okay. Hang in there yourself!