Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

FREE Running Day

Quick recap before getting into today's post. Yesterday I ran 7 miles at the butt crack of dawn. Took it easy after the 15 miler the day before.

Today was my "free" run day. The day when I don't wear a watch or Garmin when I run. It was just me, the baby in his stroller, the morning breeze and the birds singing (okay, and the morning commute traffic). I LOVE these runs when I'm not a slave to pace. I get to look around and smile at everybody, I get to talk to the baby as he hangs loose in the jogging stroller, I get to check out the trees and the flowers. All these great things I seem to ignore when I'm constantly looking at the pace feature on my Garmin. My "free" running days are so great because they remind me of the other side of running, the non-racing, non-training, non-competitive side. I think we could all use a "free" day.

I did 6 miles today followed by a hodgepodge of core work:
3 sets of 15 pull ups (I did 5 kipped ones ON MY OWN)! I'm so excited!
3 sets of 15 dips with my feet propped up in front of me
3 sets of squats with 30 pounds on my shoulders
Tonight I'll do 75 situps and 3 sets of 15 back extensions.

Tomorrow is a tempo run day. I'll be resting and stretching as I do laundry later. Enjoy the day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right about "free days".

One of the best runs I have had was
a Friday in May after I ran Cleveland the Sunday before.

I had my Garmin but only to track the total time. I did not hit the lap button once.

Interestingly enough........I enjoyed all the pleasures you point out and I wound up running very fast overall.

I think Higdon, Daniels and Pftzinger should definetely consider writing this type of run
into their programs !

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Strong !

(Only need one word to SUM up
ur day) :-)

keith said...

You totally kick tail.

All of my long runs are now just timed. No mileage, just time on the feet. I like how it makes me pay attention to the things around me. Keeps me in the moment.

Ms Eva said...

Love it! I'm definately going to add them into my run - I just won't bring the Garmin along on my easy day. :)