Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Sore and sore again

I think I'm on the verge of feeling a burnout. I ran this morning with the baby in his jogging stroller. We went for 7 miles and the entire time I just felt tired. The thought of walking was so, so appealing. In fact, I completely relished the several seconds here and there that I got to walk to drink water.

I think I'm overdoing it with the mileage build up AND the CrossFit. I don't officially start marathon training until the week of August 5, so I'm not quite sure why I'm pushing myself so hard. Stress? Boredom? My 20 year reunion? haha.

Anyway, I ran 8.7 miles yesterday by myself and I felt tired then too. Maybe I should just swim tomorrow for something different. I also feel my IT Bands tightening up more and more, and my knees are more stiff than ever, even though I've been faithfully taking Glucosamine w/ Chondroitin tablets. Is it that I'm just getting too old for this?

Yesterday morning the kids and I played outside until the baby started to have his "I want my nap" meltdown.

Here they are on the swings...


My daughter shooting hoops...


The baby's meltdown begins...

After lunch, my older ones and I went to see Ratatouille while my hubby and the baby ran errands. My kids loved it and I LOVED IT! I can't wait to buy the DVD.

Time to stop procrastinating and start scrubbing the bathrooms.

Total miles for 7/10-7/16: 45.5
Total miles for 7/17-7/23: 40

8 comments:

JWU said...

GB,

You are a superstar - not too old and are certainly still human and have the right to feel a bit burned out. I suspect once the "official" training kicks into gear that things will improve...

For now, maybe a few low key weeks are in order - your body (and mind) seem to be saying so...

Or maybe toning down the crossfit workouts as the focus moves more towards higher mileage

Anonymous said...

GB,
I saw Ratatouille, too and I LOL throughout the movie. It's funny and somehow inspiring in a sort of way!
Anyways, I think you just need to take it easy and probably spend a little more time resting and letting your body heal. As far as getting old, you are superwoman! You don't get old, you get stronger! ;)

Brooke said...

I thought that movie was too cute.

You cross-fit people are my idols. I don't think I could get through one set, let alone one complete workout!

Sarah said...

You are definitely not alone! My 11 miler today felt really sluggish and I was happy to get stopped at a few traffic lights to get a quick break! And your crossfit workouts would kick my butt...you must have muscles of steel after all those lunges, squats, and crunches :)

jen said...

GB, I know what you're going though! The months before starting marathon training bring up a tough decision- build a large mileage base or cross-train/run minimal mileage so that you're rested and ready to train... tough call! I'd say you've got a great base, so take a recovery week so you're ready to go next month.

Cute pictures. And now I want to see that movie!

Deck Ape said...

You rock GB... Take an extra SRD or two and you will feel better. Now is the time to do it before you get into your next marathon training schedule. Thanks for the nice comments on my blog. As far as being a Grand Pa, I started early... :D

Anonymous said...

From your posts and the details if looks to me as though you are doing awesome. As far as getting too old for this... never give in to that. 20th reunion?? I just celbrated my 25th and my wife said that it looked as though I was celbrating my 20th and the others were celebrating their 25th. You will be suprised at how the running will make you look younger then you former classmates. Keep up the good work.

SoberMommie said...

We all have our tough times. Just take it easy and you'll kick back into gear. You are an awesome runner. Maybe your body is just trying to tell you something.

I have not seen that movie yet but want too. My daughter liked it too!

Have a great weekend!