Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Saturday, September 29, 2007

"Not My Best 10K" Rationalizations

I wanted to better my 10K PR set last April just before the Boston Marathon. As you can tell from the title of this post, I did not achieve my goal. I'm okay with it because I'm going to consider several factors as to why. Bear with me as I rationalize away. (I hate it when I do that, but it'll make me feel better). ;)

A. I ran a 6:49 first mile and knew it was too fast.

B. I slowed to 7:01 at the 2nd mile and then a half mile later, the two fast females ahead of me (my rabbits) turned around at the 5K turnaround... leaving me alone! I immediately thought, "Okay, I think I might win this 10K. But without any females to chase I don't think I'll PR." The two runners in front of me were male and at least a full minute ahead. That set the tone for the rest of the race.

C. We had a fierce headwind between miles 2-5 (20mph). I hate wind. I could feel my efforts against it just suck the energy out of me. My splits for those miles were 7:13, 7:16 and 7:04 (the wind let up a little for that one).

D. Mile 5-6 were run w/ the 5K walkers and the Half Marathon walkers and runners. Crowded, and again there was wind! Damn! Split was 7:13. The last .29 miles (the Garmin 305 said I ran a 6.29 mile race today) was run in 1:56 (6:40 pace). So I had something left at the end.

E. I don't know if the race distance was indeed long, or if the Garmin was completely off. Either way, the results are what they are. 10K (maybe w/ an additional .09) @ 44:35 (7:10 pace). To rationalize some more, if the course was long at 6.29, then I ran it at a 7:05 pace. But who's coming up w/ excuses??? Oh, ME!

F. I did not taper for this race, and actually ran 2 speed sessions within 5 days prior. I think I left it all on the training field, and definitely not on the race course. Good news is that at this very time 12 months ago, my best 10K was 46:13.

G. Did I mention the wind, and basically running the bulk of the race alone ???


Okay, I'm through w/ my nagging thoughts. Now on to the good news: I WON THE 10K WOMEN'S DIVISION AS WELL AS MY AGE GROUP OF 30-SOMETHING. I got a plaque, 2 ribbons, 2 medals and $50.00. Woot woot! I turned today's race into a 10.2 miler (running 2 miles each for warm up and cool down).

I got to see my hubby and the baby just before I crossed the finish. Always sweet! I wish my older kids were there, but they are now at their dads on the weekends.
Time to get the baby down for his nap. And then my daughter's soccer game later.
Have a great weekend!!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Well done GB. Congrats on winning your race despite the head wind. :-) I am so very proud of everything you've accomplished and continue to accomplish. You're an inspiration.

I can't wait to see your trophy wall!

Love your sis.

Anonymous said...

Glorybelle, that's a great day any way you slice it. I dealt with the mental game in my recent 15k. If there's nobody threatening your position and nobody you can or need to pass, your brain convinces you to lighten up.

The big thing is you pulled out enough to win the turkey. Fantastic job.

I did an official Yasso 800 session today and passed the test. My fitness level is appropriate for a sub 3:20 marathon. Now, we'll see if it happens or not.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the win Glory Belle !
(only in my dreams :) )

Good to hear from you and glad to hear you are running strong !
carl t

Unknown said...

Hey GB!

GREAT RACE!!!!

I can now say I "Know" someone who has won a race!!!

You continue to amaze and inspire me!

Enjoy the day with your family.

G

Arron said...

not sure if i have ever mentioned this, but you are faaaaast :)!

congrats.

later.

Nancy said...

GB ~ awesome, girlie. That is really fast, and still very fast compared to one year ago. I have no idea what the front of the pack would look like. I trying to SEE the back of the pack today!! But, here's the good news, I now have a "race pace" :)

Awesome job with the WINDS and the WINS. So you were running with the FAST 5K people? That's pretty cool!!

Ms Eva said...

So Cool! Congratulations on the win! That's awesome! It may not be a PR - but with the wind and w/o another runner to aim for... super tough! Way to go! :)

Nuke Runner said...

Congratulations on the WIN! The wind can be pretty tough when you're stuck to deal with it all alone.

DawnB said...

You did good GB, great race congratulions on being overall female!!! awesome

John Fenton said...

Great job, GB. I usually run for PRs too, but I'd "settle" for an overall victory at least once. :)

I'm glad to see you have your mojo back (big time). See you in April!

John