Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Feels Weird to...

...have a cutback week after the half marathon. I am following my marathon training schedule now and this week is only a 34-36 mile week. I feel like I should be doing a ton more. But I remember this time last year after the Half, not cutting back at all or recovering properly, and that's how all the piriformis syndrome issues started. I vowed not to make the same mistake again this year.

Monday I rested.

Tuesday I worked and then ran 4 easy/recovery on the treadmill (about a 9:10 pace).

Wednesday I did the CrossFit warm up with the MOMS Club at the track. Then I ran 1 mile to warm up more and followed it with 4 x 800s (3:21, 3:24, 3:21, 3:22) with a 400 meter recovery after each, then 4 x 400s (1:29, 1:33, 1:33, 1:36) with 200 meter recoveries after each. Then a 1/2 mile jog cool down for 6 miles total. I felt a little fatigued when I tried to pick up the pace.

Today I rested.

Tomorrow I do 2 x 4 miles at tempo pace (aiming for 7:20/mile).

I'm still kicking myself for not getting 1:35 in the half. I know I had the training in me to get it done, but it just didn't jibe perfectly during the race. Man. Oh well. The good news is my 1:36:57 time gets me automatic entry into the New York City Marathon for 2008. Hmmm, Boston or New York? Which would you do???

6 comments:

Nancy said...

You outsmarted that McMillan, and that's not easy to do. I'd say you ran pretty well. You definitely need recovery time, Super Girl. :D

Arron said...

first, rest and recvoer.

second, you did Boston. go for NY this time.

later.

Ms Eva said...

I vote NY as well. You rocked Boston! :)

?? - Where do you do your speedwork? track? treadmill? road?

How about tempo work?

Janette said...

I am a blog stalker... I love reading your blog and find it very motivational. Great job on your half!

I was looking at the CrossFit info on their website and I have a question for you since you seem to do it regularly. Do you do their daily workouts? Where do you get your workouts from? I guess that's two questions. : )
Thanks!

Elizabeth said...

I vote NY since you've done Boston before. I love reading your post, thanks for the inspiration.

GB said...

Well I picked Boston again for a couple of reasons. I want to watch the Women's Olympic Marathon Trials. It will probably be the only time in my life that I will get to see that!
And I want to run Boston in good or decent weather. I heard the crowds in '07 weren't what they normally are, yet to me they seemed incredible.

Janette, regarding CrossFit. Before marathon training I used to do 2-3 workouts per week. Now I'm lucky to get one in. I usually just do the standard warm up a few times a week, which includes, squats, push ups or pull ups, dips, sit ups and back extensions. All the workouts on on their website, www.crossfit.com/