MY OFFICIAL RESULTS FROM WEBSITE:504th place out of 8,787 runners.
13th place in my age group of 35-39.
75th woman out of 4,082 female runners.
Chip time: 1:36:57 (oops, I clocked 1:36:56 on my watch).
I had a blast today. I felt great the entire race and I gave it everything I had but fell short of the 1:35 - 1:35:59 goal. I finished in 1:36:57 (7:24/mile) but I'm okay with that. I seriously thought I'd finish in 1:37 something, so to break 1:37 is good for me. It's also a new half marathon PR of about 6-1/2 minutes.
While running warm up I saw Khalid Khannouchi #8 in pic. I also saw Miguel Nuci #20 in pic. They are both running in the U.S. Men's Olympic Marathon Trials in November. It's ALWAYS inspiring to me to see these elite runners up close and personal. It makes them more human.
I didn't wear my Garmin today and wanted to run based on how I felt at each mile. Turns out I didn't feel super fast. Hee hee. I had preset goals in mind for the 5K, 10K, and 15K splits, hoping to finish in roughly 1:36:10. My goals for them were: 22:46 for the 5K (ran 23:02), 45:34 for the 10K (ran 46:02) and 1:08:18 for the 15K (ran 1:09:28). See a pattern? I was slowing down as the race went on. Ah well, it is what it is.
In hindsight, I did not cramp up at all, did not feel dehydrated. I actually felt smooth. I just tried to pick up the pace in the last 5K, specifically the last 1.1 miles, but my legs just wouldn't turn over fast enough. I just didn't have the leg speed I needed. Looks like I can't slack anymore in training!
Looking ahead at the marathon in December, McMillan calculates I should be able to run a 3:24:26 marathon based on today's half. But I'm still going to set my marathon goal for between 3:20 and 3:23.
Based on my recent 5K time of 21:24 and my recent 10K time of 44:35, McMillan Calc says I should've run between a 1:38:55 and a 1:39:12 half marathon today. So all in all, I'm pleased. Not ecstatic, but definitely not disappointed. Thanks for all your well wishes prior to the race!!!


13 comments:
You might not have met your goal, but 6-1/2 minutes is an enormous PR. Congratulations! Looks as though you're progressing well towards CIM.
That is such an impressive half! So awesome. What was the course like? You are going to be so ready for your upcoming marathon. I hope you recover well from this big PR!
Congratulations GB! great race. Outstanding job.
Great PR. Sounds like you had a fantastic race.
Great Race GB!!!!!
One of the great things about running is that you can race with the pro's!! Ive also been a big Khalid Khannouchi fan, hope he is past his injuries. Keep pushing on to CIM!!
Wow, great job!! That is a really impressive time. Congrats on the huge PR. You defintely excel at the longer distances, so that marathon goal is very realistic. Excellent work out there. :)
Impressive as always, GB! Could you bottle up some of your speed and send it my way?
You did great GB. Congrats!
gaj
You think you're slacking?! Come on! You did awesome! Congratulations! :)
fantastic!!! a sub 1:30 is in your future. later.
fantastic race!!! do you cramp in longer races??? do you know about S-caps??? they really help.
but really, man, you are running really fast. great job.
That was a magnificent race. Can't wait to read your race report after the full!
Congrats on a great race. You are just so inspiring! I have a hard time keeping motivated, and then I read your blog.....
Way to go!!
Post a Comment