Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Why Do Mile Intervals HURT?

The local all weather track where I usually do mile intervals is closed for renovations. I decided to run along the canal banks to do my repeats, 4 x 1 mile and then 2 x 800s. There was some wind along the canal in both directions and I do NOT like running in the wind. Maybe that's why these hurt today, or maybe my legs are just tired, or maybe I was just tired.

Anyway the intervals panned out like this:
4 x 1 mile: 6:57, 6:46, 6:53, 6:53. I ran into the wind on the 1st, 3rd and 4th.
I walk/jogged a 2-3 minute recovery between each.
Then 2 x .51 mile: 3:20, 3:27 (yes, wind).
I walk/jogged a 2:30 recovery between them.

The .51 repeats HURT more than the mile repeats. The 3:20 translates to a 6:32 mile and the 3:27 into a 6:45.

Well, time to pack for my trip with the MOMS Club. We're heading to Portland for a luncheon. Should be fun, but I'll miss my husband and kids. I will run a 6 miler up there and then do my last 20 when I get back.

1 comment:

keith said...

you're getting faster...that is so awesome!