What a race!
Just a shout out to Catra (Dirt Diva), Steve (Racetraining) and Jill (racemomqt), Eva (Makita), and Bill (Westside). It was so nice to meet you this weekend. What a cool thing to finally put faces to names. :)
I went into this weekend feeling healthy, with slight sniffles that never turned into a full blown cold, no injuries or nagging pain anywhere. I felt “on.”
I drank 80 ounces of water everyday from Thursday morning until Saturday at bedtime. I ate so many carbs that I don’t want to eat any pasta, sports drink, sports nutrition bars, bagels, pretzels, etc. for months. Give me steak and lots of wine and beer.
I went to bed at 9:30 the night before the race and tossed and turned until about 10:30, but then slept well until I woke up. The night before that, I slept crappy. Anyway, I woke up at 4:05 a.m. on race morning. Choked down 2 instant oatmeal packets and a toaster sized bagel with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. I drank about 32 ounces of water here and there with the food. I felt FULL.
My body got itself ready for the race (if you know what I mean). After the “cleanse” I drank about a half cup of regular black coffee (I usually drink decaf).
Got dropped off at the starting area about 45 minutes before the race started. Literally stood in line for the port-o-potty for 30 minutes, until 6:45. Jogged around for about 5 minutes and then got into the crowd at about 6:55. Race started promptly at 7, and my brother and I crossed the start line about 10 seconds after the gun. He and his wife ran the relay and the both got new half marathon PRs in the process..
The rolling hills felt more challenging for me today then they had been in the past. They didn’t burn my legs, but I could feel my IT band and old piriformis issues rear their ugly heads. And just like last year, I was so happy to be DONE with the rollers. But anytime a little roller popped up after the halfway point, I’d silently curse at it.
I was a little worried in the first 6-7 miles when all they had at the aid stations was water. I know how badly I cramp without those electrolytes and I needed sports drink early on. Oh well, I drank water at almost every station and whenever they had sports drink I would take that instead. I used 4 GU gels along the course (miles 8, 14, 18, 22).
I found the 3:20 pace group at mile 1. They started about 1 minute behind the gun. It was a BIG group. The leader was kind of off pace (we needed 7:38/mile) for most of the race. As soon as he'd get on pace, he'd stay there for maybe one mile and then it seemed like he'd speed up. I looked at my Garmin several times and wondered, “Why is he running a 7:15 pace when we only require a 7:38?” It was frustrating. You'll see the randomness of my splits later in the report.
I spent most of the last half trying to catch up to him and the group after all the water stops, and then they pulled away slightly. I ran behind them by about 45 seconds to a minute from about mile 16 to mile 23. I could see them fine, I just couldn’t speed up enough to catch them. Those miles were tough on me mentally and physically. This was the time that I had to pull from my resources and dig in. I thought about Ray and Sugar from the Runner’s World Forum and the kind words they sent me before the race. Ray is an amazing runner and always inspires me to train hard and smart.
I thought about Cody quite a bit too. He’s the son of another forumite, Deck Ape (aka Mickey). Cody is fighting another battle with cancer and he’s only 4. That’s just not right. I thought about my training partners, Cheryl, Ali and Kim and knew they were out on the course feeling the rough spots too. I also thought about all the hard training that I put in this season, and knew I could handle the discomfort my body was feeling. Lastly I thought about the “prediction” thread my Masters Forum friends had started, and I WANTED to beat my 3:20 goal BADLY!
While lost in thought and “pain,” I noticed that the 3:20 pace group fell apart at about mile 23. People were dropping behind like crazy. But I was feeling okay, not great, but not bad.
I passed a lot of the runners in that group between then, and the finish. The pace group leader finally slowed down to finish at the 3:20 pace (I don’t know if they get in trouble if they finish faster, but he had to slow down a lot). None of the runners in the group were with him at mile 25 when I passed him. Even though a lot of them dropped behind, I’m sure a lot of them sped up and took off.
I felt dizzy a few times in the last 6.2 miles (at one point I thought I was going to faint). I also got a ton of calf cramps (the ones that MAKE you wince in pain because they lock up the calf muscle in debilitating ways). I also felt waves of nausea here and there. Not a good feeling. But every time a challenge arose I prayed and prayed, actually begged God to make the pain or discomfort go away. And amazingly enough, it did go away!
I don’t know if the prayer was a distraction or a way of keeping hope alive, but I meant it, and it certainly helped! A wonderful thing happened in the last couple of miles. The leaves were falling on our heads like snow flakes. There were so many and it was absolutely breathtaking. Just a little reminder that there's so much going on around me, and to not get lost in my own world!
I saw my husband and 2 year-old at mile 26. I actually got to high five my husband on the way to the finish.
I felt strong as I finished. As I rounded the final bend, I saw the clock overhead and it said 3:19 something. I knew I could break 3:20 if I hauled booty. Surprisingly I was able to pick it up in the last straightaway. When I crossed, I got all teary eyed. What a sap!
My splits were:
7:46
7:36
7:31
7:48
7:22
7:38
7:24
7:50
7:30
7:30
7:40
7:36
7:31
(My Garmin said 1:38:48 at Mile 13)
7:39
7:33
7:24
7:31
7:34
7:21
7:23
7:32
7:34
7:32
7:41
7:35
7:42
2:48 (The last .2 was at about a 6:52 pace).
The official results are 3:19:44, with an avg. overall pace of 7:37/mile.
I’m ECSTATIC! But exhausted. Time for bed. Thanks for reading!!!
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


16 comments:
I knew you could do it!! You definitely rocked that marathon. I was checking last night up until I went to bed, hoping to see how both you and Jen did, but this morning at work I got my reward. Hopefully Jen posts soon too. :)
You are such a strong, amazing woman, and you inspire me so much. Congrats on another AWESOME race!
Good Night, GB!! (that is an exclamation, not telling you to go to bed, although I guess it works since you were going to bed!) YOU ARE AMAZING!! Way to pull from the depths and keep going. You are such an inspiration to me.
NICE KICK at the end :D
Wow, what a race! You never cease impressing me. Way to hang in there through the dizziness, nausea, and calf cramps for a big PR and to achieve your goal. Congratulations!!
Congratulations on reaching your goal pace. I glanced at my watch at 3:17 and I immediately visualized you crossing the finish line. I knew you would do it - awesome run!!
It was so fun meeting you before the race. Too bad neither of us had had a camera at that point.
I loved running CIM and hope that I'll get another opportunity. You were so right... it is an awesome course and well organized.
Thank you for inspiring me to continue to train and aspire to qualify.
:D
CONGRATS!!!!
I've been reading along, you areen so motivating and inspiring. Thank you so much!
Janis
Yay yay yay!
I knew you could do it, GB.
I can't wait to see you in April!
John
Thank you so much, Mir, Nancy, Nuke, Makita, Janis and John!!!
My body is hurting today, but not as bad as past marathons. I'm going to enjoy recovery properly this time and start Boston training nice and fresh.
Makita, you ran a GREAT marathon and I'm so proud of you for knocking 37 minutes off your previous PR. AWESOME!
John, see you in Boston! It's going to be a great year there w/ the women's trials and all. Can't wait!
Congratulations! You ran a beautiful race! Great job focusing on the inspirational people in your life and praying, that really does seem to help you run strong. I think that is very cool. :)
I definitely share a lot of your feelings on race- those rollers felt bigger to me than last year, and our pace groups were both off some. You did an excellent job running your own race and trusting your pacing skills.
I'm so proud of you! Really impressive finish time- you are smokin' fast. Enjoy your recovery and I will see you in Boston. :)
Congratulations, you did amazing!!!! You did such a great job pushing through those tough mental hurdles and totally deserved crushing 3:20!!! You rock!
Enjoy lots and lots of cold beers on your cool new coaster. :)
Wowie! What an awesome race report. Congratulations on an amazing time! You are such an inspiration to us all!
WOW Lillie!!! That was a super race report! I hope someday I have enough experience to know my pace like you do!!! I'm all over the map. Cool that you got to meet some RW'ers also! ScottyDog is the only one I've met so far....hope you are enjoying some well-deserved rest now, and that you are healing well. You constantly amaze me, I see you all over the forums and you are such a positive blessing to us all. Congrats on a great race, well run!
Woo Hoo!!! Great race and way to hold yourself together during the tough parts. You should be so proud of all your hard work as it really paid off during the race. Enjoy your recovery and be proud of how AWESOME you did!!
GB,
Yoiu are AMAZING!!! I wish I could have been there - but made a smart decision to heal my injuries instead of being bull headed and run onoly to get a bad time. And more injuries! My goal is to get stronger and train harder and haul ASS at BOSTON in 08!!! Watch out for me......:) I ran for the first time in 2 weeks yesterday and the pain in my hip has diminished and now it's time to train speed....you did amazing!!! I am SO PROUD of you!! 3:19!!! You are a fast little thing! :)
Congrats on your awesome CIM time! You are amazing and an inspiration to other mommy runners out there! Happy recovery to you!
you are awesome. great job. it has to be the most satisfying thing in the world to put in the effort and get the results.
have i ever mentioned that you are faaasssst!
later.
Lillie,
First of all, I think you're a great inspiration to a lot of women. I know I haven't posted earlier about your progress but I do follow it and actually once tried to post on your blog a while back when you had that half PR but couldn't remember my gmail password! As you can see I'm still learning a lot about running and will continue to, but it's nice to a female close to my age (ok, I'm two years older than you :) ) to excel the way you have. Congrats again on your remarkable performance!!
Post a Comment