Thanks again for everybody's very kind words! You all know how to lift a person's spirits. :)
Monday night I met some friends from work for a great dinner to celebrate my good friend Lisa's promotion to Police Sergeant (she's on the right in the picture). Yaaaay Lisa!!! We all had a great time talking about old work stories, old romances (and laughing at those) and all kinds of funny, present day stuff.
On the way there (2+ hours) I literally sat and kind of rolled on a tennis ball and it worked WONDERS on my sore spots, the piriformis and the hamstring tendinopathy. It was like 2 hours of trigger point therapy. It hurt, but I tell ya' I feel a thousand times better. I also sat on it on the way home. I will never underestimate the tennis ball on pressure points again!
Yesterday I was able to do a solid 11 mile run on the treadmill. 5 of those miles were the Newton Hills Simulation workout and I ran that entire portion at an equivalent 7:08 pace. I say equivalent because you have to adjust your speed on the hills but you still put out the even effort as you would on the flats.
After a quick pitstop, I did another 4 miles on the hill program setting of the treadmill, slightly slower than tempo pace and during the flats I ran at marathon goal pace. My butt started to get sore toward the end, but overall no pain and no problems! Thanks to the tennis ball.
Anyway I was cooked, done, toast, by the last mile. I was so dehydrated that I couldn't even talk to my husband and kids afterward and it took a good 2 hours for my body to feel normal again. I slowly ate and drank and eventually it got into my system and I felt better. I have to remember to bring water to the gym next time. Hello!
This morning I met the gals for an easy 4 mile run followed by 6 strides. It felt great. I think I'm at about 80%.
Tomorrow I will run a hard workout with them again and then it's a very busy day with the family. But we will end the day on a GREAT note. Out for a pizza dinner and then I get to watch THE SPIRIT OF THE MARATHON. Woo hoo, I cannot wait! My hubby and kids opted not to watch it. (I think they just don't share the same love of marathons as I do). ;)
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


9 comments:
I'm glad to hear your feeling much more positive...you are such a great runner and role model so I'm glad you are doing better.
I too moved to a different part of the state with no friends here and it took about 3 years to start to really build some strong friendships. It's hard but they're out there and it sounds like your running pals are a supportive bunch. I don't doubt you'll find your niche.
I'm glad you're feeling better, GB, mentally and physically. I do wish we lived a lot closer to gather. I'd love to train with you.
I seem to be over my piriformis/high hamstring tendinopathy issues too, and I'm just about to call an end to pure base building and start incorporating tempo runs and mile-long hill repeats into my program.
I have my ticket for the marathon movie tomorrow night too. A dozen or so of us from the running group are going together.
Keep up the hard work. I can't wait to see you and Moonbeam in Boston.
John
Tough, tough workouts! Way to go!
We are shopping for a treadmill - I'm just beginning to gather info to c/c models. What would you suggest I look for in a model? I'd likely not use it for my long runs - but certainly mid-week runs (easy, tempo & speed).
I convinced DH to see Spirit of the Marathon with me... I'm hoping he gets inspired! :)
Hugs
GB....you and I have a common issue.....hamstring problems....did not even know the name for it until I researched recently.....piriformis.....I have read about the tennis ball and may try it.....mine has gone on for years.
Yay!! I'm glad things are looking up. Great idea about the tennis ball--I will have to keep that one in mind. I'm so excited about the marathon movie tonight (it's funny how runners across the nation are all going to the same event in different places across the country tonight)!
Hi Silly Lillie! I found your site in a roundabout way...looking for others like myself, I guess (and some running inspiration). I really enjoy reading your blog...it's just what I needed to lift me up and remind me of the things I love about running (and that a mom can be a hardcore runner too!). After two kids (and now working on our third), I'm getting frustrated with the fact that I'm not the runner I was at 20! But your blog has inspired me that I can achieve it again...look at you! Great mom AND great runner...it's possible! If you get a chance, I'd love for you to check out my website: www.avascloset.net (named after my daughter). I have some great kids' running shirts and I'd love to send you one free...for being a great inspiration to other mommy runners out there! Let me know if you're interested! And thanks for the inspirations!
KD
Wow, awesome treadmill run!! You're going to rock the real Newton Hills (again!).
I am going to see Spirit of the Marathon tonight with Maritza- can't wait!! Just the inspiration I need. :)
Would love the article GB......appriciate your help.....yes....I have pain to deal with from time to time....this one has been a moderate problem for years....if I could heal it up some....I would gain some speed back....the woes of high mileage....for some reason I am not able to start a PM on RW...so when you get this....could you PM me and I will PM my email back.....TY.....PS...great blog.
enjoy the movie GB, wish I'd gotten the chance to go today.
Post a Comment