Oh man, what a race. What a day! That was exhilirating to say the least. It was sooooooo cold this morning and sooooooo windy. The temp was about 40 but it felt like 32. My husband is a champ for standing out in the cold waiting for me to finish. I couldn't race without his support and amazing support it is!
Let's see, 2 days leading up to the race I threw all the calorie counting out the window. I didn't eat pure crap, but I ate more calories and indulged in some foods I don't eat anymore, like 100% real crab sandwiches with mayo, lots of pasta, mini chocolate bars and jelly beans. I felt so full and bloated on Friday and Saturday.
Breakfast this morning was a large cinnamin raisin bagel with 2 tbsp. peanut butter, 1 packet of instant oatmeal, a small Starbuck's coffee, black with sugar, and a bunch of water. About 45 minutes before the race I drank 12 oz. of Gatorade Endurance.
There were 6 of us from my hometown running this half. Three of us are running Boston, 2 are running Big Sur and 1 is running Avenue of the Giants in May. This was a tune up race for all of us and we all wanted to gage our training and aim for PRs. The weather was beautiful, but the wind was NOT.
I ran one mile for the warm up because I was short on time, and did only 2 strides. I ran the first mile too fast, but it felt good to loosen up. I settled in to pace for the 2nd mile and by the third mile I fell into a nice groove. It helped that the 1:30 pace group (which I did not know existed until today) sucked me into their group. They were a good bunch of runners, pleasant, and the leader was knowledgeable beyond my dreams so I decided to hang on to them for dear life!
It was WORK. There were many times that my mind played tricks on me, but the comfort of the group helped me through it as did my usual prayers, and thinking about the hard training and mileage I've been putting in. It all clicked. When the wind was unbearable, we all worked as each other's shields. Have I mentioned it was really a wonderful group of runners? The pace group leader, a long haired man in his late 40s or early 50s, wasn't overly chatty but reminded us to stay close and help each other, he would tell us to slow down or pick it up in certain spots on the course, he would remind us to not lean forward when tired and to tuck our hips under when heading up the few hills along the course. He was a dream of a pacer.
Here are my splits:
6:39
6:52
7:01
6:47
6:47 (drank 3 oz. of sports drink)
6:49
6:55 (took a GU with water)
6:48
6:52
6:57
6:43 (took 2 sips of water)
6:48
6:36
I forgot to turn off my watch at the finish so I don't know what the last .1 mile split was. Oops!
Chip time: 1:29:17
Gun time: 1:29:21
1st place in age group. :)
Avg overall pace of 6:49/mile
I was so elated at the finish that I hugged the pacer and he was thrilled that his entire group of about 15 runners made it within 1:30!!! Now that is a pro.
Ali and Cheryl both got 2nd in their age groups (Ali was the 2nd female overall. Cheryl was the 2nd female Master's runner). Kim placed 3rd or 4th in her age group. Toxie finished 3rd in his age group. Chris finished in the top 10 of his age group. We all set new PRs. What a joyous race for all!
After the race I had a Carl's Jr. Bacon Western Cheeseburger and a Diet Coke. Yum. Now it's back to regular eating habits. I'll be resting and stretching tomorrow and will resume training with very easy miles until Thursday (then it's back to the hard stuff). Thanks everyone for reading and for all the good vibes and well wishes ahead of time!
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


24 comments:
Congratulations! What an awesome race; I can't wait to see how you run at Boston :)
You are amazing! Gosh I'm so proud of you!
Holy Moly Sillie THAT is an awesome race! You are going to be kciking some Boston butt! Way to go! You are awesome!
Absolutely outstanding, though I can't really say I'm that surprised. Your training, especially your dual tempo workout last week, certainly indicated that this was well within you.
Boston is a bit over a month away, make sure to take this next week easy and then get in a couple good solid weeks before your taper. Don't sit on your laurels now over a half PR.
OMG GB what a great day you had congratulations!!! Girlfriend you totally rock!!
Awesome race! I knew you'd come in around 1:30, and you made it under. I think your training has been really effective and will also help you run well in every distance. Your last 5K was probably well under 21:00, so if the races are there, you've got lots of PRs coming. Congrats!
Ron
CONGRATS on such an amazing PR!! I really enjoy reading your blog & you definitely inspire me to become a better runner. Good luck at Boston!
1st place in age group. :)
Avg overall pace of 6:49/mile
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
GB I am so proud of you, you SO rocked that race and all ur training and determined focus is really paying off... You are one fast Mommy :-)
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
GB,
I left a comment in the thread on RW but just wanted to leave one here as well and let you know that you are so FAST! Great going and a wonderful race! Like others have said, many people saw this coming as your training has been going so well! Way to knock it out of the park! Proud of you! Sub 1:30! Fantastic! :-)
Gregory (Pudov)
YYIIIPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Way to go GB! You rocked that half! I'm so proud of you... your hard work has definitely paid dividends... Boston, beware!
WOW, what an awesome race. You've put in the work and it is sure paying off. I was thinking of you yesterday, and I'm so glad to see that you did so well!! You continually inspire me. :)
Woo hoo! Woo hoo!
I was so psyched to get your call Saturday. Thank you! After we hung up, my son asked me, "Why did you scream?" :)
Five weeks to Boston!
John
Damn, girl! You definitely earned your (incredibly fast) PR! All your hard work, smart training, constant dedication, healthy eating, and even sitting on those baseballs resulted in an AMAZING race. You're an inspiring runner and an amazing woman. Now that you've had a PR in Feb and in March, it's only right that Boston brings a PR in April!
i wish it was felt like 32 degrees here in the Windy City!
nice race.
later.
GREAT job, and you totally deserve it with all the hard training, attention to diet, and speedwork you've been putting in. You're a great example of how a continued, sustained effort will lead to some spectacular results.
I think you're faster than I am now!
You are such an inspiration. Keep it up!
Jun (Singaporean)
WOOO HOOO - way to go and way to use the resources. That pacer sounds fantastic. Loved your post race meal. Yum!
Congrats! GB. You're the best!
gaj
Congratulations!! Great race. Pace groups like that are hard to come by- you really lucked out. I'm sure it helped to have them shield the wind and keep you going mentally, but you took every one of those speedy steps and finished strong on your own (ahead of most of the group, I assume!). You are amazing. Way to go!! :)
Wow!! What a great race. You totally kicked butt! Amazing. Thanks for all the inspiration you are to me. Many times I read your blog before a run to motivate me to get my butt out the door. Thanks! Keep running and doing what your doing. You're awesome.
Amazing! I love reading about your races and training, this last one was such a treat! It's so exciting to see your times dropping in such a steady, strong manner. You are an inspiration for us newbie racers. Keep it comin'!!
wicked fast. saaawwweeeeet. tear it up at boston.
Wow! Another amazing PR! You are such an inspiration. Have a great Boston!
Whoo hooo! Way to kick booty!
Post a Comment