Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Friday, March 14, 2008

On the Down-Low

Yaaaay, the quality workouts are behind me for this week and after a nice recovery run of 4 miles today, I will be in the clear until race day Sunday. I am looking so forward to the race, although the weather people say it's going to be quite windy (which I DO NOT like). Ya' can't win 'em all I guess.

Yesterday I ran a V02 max workout. 4 x 800s and 4 x 400s, all intervals with 1-1/2 minutes recovery between. I sandwiched the speedwork in the middle of a 9 mile run. My splits for the 800s were 3:02, 3:08, 3:04 and 3:01. For the 400s they were 1:29, 1:29, 1:28 and 1:24. Speed intervals are tough, but less stressful mentally to me than the longer tempo runs. I don't know why though.

I'm carbo loading and hydrating very well today and tomorrow. My plan is to not have to stop at more than 2-3 aid stations during the race. That really waterlogged me during the October half marathon I ran. I don't want to suffer through that sluggishness again.

Tomorrow my dear hubby runs a local 5K and I can't wait to cheer him on. He's looking forward to running it and I am so happy for him!

Have a great Friday and I'll try to post pics of the my hubby at the 5K tomorrow.

8 comments:

Mir said...

Good luck to you and your hubby at your respective races this weekend!

Unknown said...

I hope no one takes your advice and trips him accidentally - on purpose - because of anything he posted on his website.

What would jesus do indeed....

jen said...

Awesome speedwork. I like the breakdown of 4x each. Might try that next week for my VO2! Plus I can always call it quits after the 800s. hehe

Good luck to you this weekend in the Half Marathon and good luck to Mr. GB in the 5k! Have fun you guys!

GB said...

Jack, it was a joke.

Anonymous said...

GB,

May you and your husband have great races this weekend.

Jack,

What would Jesus do? He would have a sense of humor. That's why Christ followers are not dried up, sour faced religionists like sister bucketmouth and brother sawdust.

Keep pressing toward the finish line!

gaj

Ron said...

BG,
I'll be pulling for this weekend. Your speed sessions, loss of weight and mileage are impressive. Focus on running even paced.

It's easy to start too fast when you've made a big jump in speed. But think of hitting the 10-mile marker with the juice to pick it up on your last 5K.

Go get 'em!

steve b said...

you're gonna kick major tush this weekend, GB. You've put in the work, now just go out and get it done.

Good luck to Mr. Lillie too. =)

DawnB said...

Good luck GB you've trained hard it will pay off!! no go kick but and have fun!!

Good luck to hubby as well.