What a fun race today! Let me get the 'bad' points out of the way. It started at 11 a.m. and by that time it was already in the mid-70s. There was no water on the course, and even though I normally don't take anything during a 10K, I also normally don't run one at 11 a.m. MANY people needed fluids out there, including me. And I felt sorry for the volunteers who had to control traffic because motorists today were just plain jerks and some even attempted to fist fight a couple of volunteers. That just angers me! Next year they need cops to do traffic control!
Okay, the good points. Beautiful, sunny day. Light wind which helped cool us somewhat. Some very fast runners showed up and that always pushes me harder. I purposely left my Garmin at home and ran only with a normal sports watch. There were no mile markers so I couldn't get hung up on pace and was forced to run by 'feel.' And let me tell you, it felt so difficult and challenging and it just HURT! But my goals were to take a spot in the top 3 females overall, to place in my age group, and to PR. That being said, I met all 3 goals!
I took 2nd place overall female, and 2nd in age group behind the overall female winner, and I shaved almost 2 minutes off my previous 10K PR. Finished in 41:26 which is a 6:40/mile pace. Not bad considering I have done only 1 quality workout since Boston and have just ran mostly recovery miles. Marathon fitness does have some perks! The fun part: I won $150 cash. That'll buy me some new running gear. Hee hee. But I think I'll treat my hubby to a nice dinner instead.
A lot of runners from our running club showed up and that was so great. The overall female winner is a friend from the running club, and the overall female MASTERS winner is also from the club. So cool! The men's winner was none other than Miguel Nuci, our hometown hero who ran in the Men's Olympic Marathon Trials last November. He finished in 30:29 and he was followed by 2 guys he coaches... all from our hometown. :) My husband says there must be something in our water!
Well, time to get ready for a little birthday party we are attending today. I'm going to have some cake, and a frosty, cold beer! Yum!!!
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


10 comments:
Way to go on the PR GB! You are one fast girl!
I ran a PR today. You can check it out at http://www.gajohnson.org/gregjohnson/2008/05/silverton-hospi.html .
You are an inspiration to me!
gaj
Glorybelle, a fantastic race, as always.
I wanted to sign in and wish you the happiest of happy Mother's Day. You, your hubby, and children are the perfect family in my eyes and I wish the best for all of you. A happy mother is the core of a solid family. Like the old saying goes "if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"!!
I hope your day is filled with love and happiness.
Congrats on the PR and placement...that's fantastic! You're improving all the time and it's been so fun to watch. :)
Happy Mother's Day!
GREAT JOB! Not only did you get a major PR but you got $150 too.... sweet! :)
congrats on another outstanding race! You just keep getting stronger and faster. I can't wait to read the 50k report.
Happy Running!
cindy
I meant to tell you this yesterday, but congrats on your race! Excellent! Also, I appreciate your feedback on my new blog. I have a ways to go on it, but it already seems sort of fun. It reminds me of an adult diary. Our regular computer is being repaired, so I will add more pics soon. Have a super week and Happy Mother's Day!
Rebecca
(LA Runner)
Way 2 Go! You totally ROCK, GB! :D
Smoking! I can see the burnt rubber your shoes left on the ground! Great stuff sis! Happy belated Mom's Day!
Great race, GB. I knew you would nail it.
And $150 prize money! That totally rocks. The best I've ever done is $30 in gift certificates. :)
Keep kicking butt, my friend.
John
GB,
I think I'm late to the party but just dropping in and wanted to congratulate you on your 10km PB! Pretty soon you'll be knocking on the sub 40 door! Way to go out there and also good on ya for winning $150 bucks! :-)
Gregory (Pudov)
Post a Comment