Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Saturday, May 03, 2008

2 Weeks to the Ohlone 50K - Oh Boy!

I was just reading Scott Dunlap's blog and found his Ohlone 50K race report (again), and so I reread it. I am in for quite a run!

I hope he doesn't mind if I post some pics here that he included in his race report from 2006. I used to hike these trails to Mission Peak as a teenager and in my 20's. I even ran up to Mission Peak once (slowly) when I was in my 20's, but cut the run a little shorter than I had wanted because a momma cow didn't like that I scared her little baby. (Cows run fast)!!!

Here's the kicker, the trail up to Mission Peak is only about 4 miles out of the 31 I get to run! Hahahaha, joke's on me!

Anyway take a look at some of the nice climbs I have ahead of me... YOWZA!

(photo courtesy of Rick Gaston on Scott Dunlap's blog)

(photo courtesy of Scott Dunlap's blog)

(photo courtesy Scott Dunlap)

(photo courtesy Scott Dunlap)











Thankfully Danny B. and Mike B. will be there to push me along to the finish. Thanks guys!

Danny is on the right.

14 comments:

F. Lee said...

First off, running the 10K "...balls out?" Don't you mean "...ovaries out!" At least that is what I say :P.

Honestly, I am kind of jealous that you'll be running this 50K. I would love to power thru this run with you, Mike and Danny. Next year.

I've got this great loop around here...very hilly and at least 15 miles. It will be a great trainer. I'll map it on map my run and send you the link, you'll dig it.

209Mike said...

I thought you were pushing me!? I'm looking forward to this torture.

Anonymous said...

Silly Lillie,

Face it, you picked a doozy for your first 50k. Your in shape, so don't sweat it. My advice is to treat this first 50k as you would advise a first time marathoner to treat thier first time marathon.

You might want to walk the trip up to Mission Peak. If your going to run up the hills, save it and wait unitl the climb up to Rose Peak and then be cool, watch your effort, by all means walk before going anerobic. I think it's 3,000 feet in elevation gain over 9 miles or so. If you get to the top of Rose Peak and you feel dead, it's kind of downhill from there to the finish.

Good luck, be sure to thank the volunteers and have fun.

Fishmagic said...

Good luck with the 50K. Scenery is beautiful.

Preston said...

OK so you gonna dress like the lady in the last picture? From your post on the RW forums, I know you have style :)

Good luck on your first 50K, I am sure your going to do well in it, hills and all :)

cindy and christy said...

Wow! I can't wait to watch you finish this one & get your full race report. You are well trained & in terrific shape...it will be a great time! enjoy

GB said...

209Mike, we'll be pushing each other!

Anonymous, trust me, I plan on walking a lot of those uphills and probably some downhills too.

Thanks Fish!

Preston, the gal in the middle is a famed ultra runner and a very sweet gal, despite her rocker look. Catra Corbett is her name and she's an amazing distance runner. If I could run half the miles she does, I'd be ecstatic!

Cindy & Christy, this one is going to test every fiber in my body! I can feel it already. I'll keep you posted. And you KNOW I'm wearing one of your skirts! Speaking of which, I have some Boston pics to send to your site. :)

Danny B said...

GB,
You will do awesome, you are in great shape!! You will fly down those hills like you've done this before. I know this because Mike and I will be holding a rope as you pull us down. Just a warning, falling in love with the Ultra and the trail could be hazardess to your health :) Oh ya, the photo in my profile is from Rose Peak with Mt. Diablo in the distance.

Danny

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Good Advice from Anonymous...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GB I was glad to read u say you will walk the uphills (smile) best way to walk uphills is "SHORT QUICK Steps", just lift those legs up!! DON't LONG Stride them....wasted energy!!!!

Just ENJOY it, and I know you WILL! ...KEEP Ahead of your FUEL also, I said this before and I will say it again, the race reports I have read about fast marathoners doing their first ultra is GOING OUT TO DANG FASTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT & they bonk... now that was more on 100 milers but whatever it is PLEASE pace urself...then do what you do best & Close strong!

I am SO very excited for you, ur going to have such a great time and do very well!!

God is GOOD!

cope said...

Hey, at least it will be a beautiful run. I am really looking forward to getting into ultras myself, but I'm going to give it a few years and kind of tap out my potential with marathoning first. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
I've been checking in on your blog for, oh, almost a year perhaps. I am a friend of Catra's and I found you on her blog. You just mentioned that you used to run around Mission Peak when you were a teenager and early 20's. Now I'm curious -- did you grow up here in Fremont then? You went to your high school reunion recently and I was thinking how funny it would be if we went to the same high school. I went to Washington and Irvington. Have a great day!
~Jo Lynn
P.S. I was going to do the Ohlone 50K but Catra wants to do my first 50K with me and she wasn't planning on doing this one. By the time she decided to do it, there wasn't enough time for me to prepare :( You'll love it though.

GB said...

Hey Bob, I'm going to think about you dragging a big, fat tire behind you on your runs over that bridge! :)

Jo Lynn, thanks for posting! I went to Mission w/ Danny B and Mike B (the guys I'll be running the 50K with). I was fortunate to have finally met Catra the day before the CIM last December. She's just awesome! Isn't she running a 100 miler the day of the Ohlone 50k? Where did I read that???

Anonymous said...

Hey gb,
Catra is running 100 miles that weekend, in which she's including the Ohlone 50K.
~Jo Lynn

kelly said...

Good luck at Ohlone. It's a tough course and it can be scorching hot, so be prepared. You will do awesome as usual. Just remember to pace yourself so that you won't be dying on the way back to the finish. Can't wait to hear all about it.