The countdown has begun. I am in the carbo load and hydration phase, and officially letting my legs rest for the next 2 days. I could barely walk straight on Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday while the kids were in school, I put the toddler in the jogger and we went for a recovery run. My quads were SO shot that I had to alternate walking and slow jogging every other half mile. I managed an overall pace of 12 minutes/mile for 3 miles. Ouch!
On Thursday I decided to do a run around the track in 98-degrees while the kids had track practice. I felt a lot better, but still very sore. I ran a little over 4 miles at a 9:40/mile pace. Today I am able to walk down our stairs without any stiffness or soreness in the quads. Thank God. I'm praying just to stay healthy, and to finish the race on Sunday. The more I look at the course profile, the more I think this will be the toughest physical challenge I've had since giving birth 3 times without an epidural. Even that seemed easy in comparison!
After the 50K, I'll be recovering for 2 weeks and then I start following workouts that my new coach will be giving me. We begin during the first week of June. I am very excited to work with him, to better my marathon times. He's an elite marathoner whose PR is 2:15 and he finished mid-pack at the Men's Olympic Marathon Trials.
Here he is, having just won a local 10K in 30:00 in 80-degrees.He seems to have my best interests at heart and doesn't want to overwork or overwhelm me, but will be giving me tougher workouts and I think I'll be peaking at about 80-85mpw in the fall. For this summer he wants me to maintain about 50-55 mpw, and to work on leg speed and turnover.
Okay, time to finish cleaning house. We're celebrating my son's 9th birthday tomorrow. Yaaaaay!!!

Should be in the 90's and we'll all be making good use of the pool.


4 comments:
Hey GB,
You are so brave. Good luck with the 50k. I hope it isn't too hot for you.
I think you will enjoy training with a coach. I can't wait to hear/see how training goes for you.
I just know you are going to be improving by leaps and bounds.
Be carefull out there. Enjoy and then recover well!
Yay GB, You will do great, we are rooting for you!
I have one word that describes you GB. AMAZING!
gaj
GB,
What training plan did you use to BQ?
gaj
Post a Comment