Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Monday, May 26, 2008

The Mind IS Willing, but the OLD BOD is Weak!

Okay, so I was really good with recovery last week and cross trained up until today. Legs felt great all weekend. No issues with stairs, bending down, etc. etc. Today I put on the Balega socks and the Asics DS Trainers and both felt awesome. No toe issues at all!!! Headed out for at least 30 minutes recovery pace, but was aiming for 45. Felt a little stiff in the first half to 3/4 mile, then loosened up a bit, then started to feel little pulls, aches and soreness in places where I hadn't been feeling anything, prior to this little run. They started to nag me more and more as I got the the 30 minute point, so I decided to head home instead of go longer. Total run time of just 34 minutes. That's okay!

I got home and did the 10 core exercises from Running Times magazine. Yeeeouch! My sit bone area could use some good strengthening. I want to prevent the hamstring tendinitis from acting up when I resume speed training.

Overall I'm happy to have run. Beautiful day out, not too hot. Nice breeze. Not a lot of traffic. Couldn't ask for a better day to run. :)

5 comments:

Ms Eva said...

Glad to see that you DO take it easy once in a while! You always push so hard, I worry a little. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I lurk over at the RWOLFs and stumbled upon your blog months ago.

YOU ARE SO INSPIRING!

I was a competitive runner through college, and then for a few years after - but had a severe injury for nearly four years I just couldn't kick.

Anyhow, since reading your blog I have decided to finally kick the injury - and I hired a coach who has helped me to improve my form - and I just got back from a great track workout - pain free. What fun it is to do a intense, pain-free track workout again.

Anyhow, I think your ability to be so positive really helped me get motivated to be fast again. It was always a goal of mine to qualify for Boston. I think I'm gonna go for it!

Thank You!

Wendy said...

Yes, it is true what the above poster said. You are inspiring. I post on Runners World as well and am always jaw dropped by your mileage and pace times. I think the mornings that I don't feel like stepping out and running I'll come here and read a few of your posts. You are a running machine and you ROCK!!

Ashley said...

LOL, I don't even want to know how much further you get in 34 minutes than I do. You go girl!

DawnB said...

GB sorry I'm so late but I wanted to say congratulations on a outstanding 50k.