Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Monday, May 19, 2008

My Long and Winding (first) Ultra Marathon Report

I have never been so proud to show off my feet as I am today. They are the ugliest they have ever looked, but I worked HARD to get them that way!














I ran my first Ultra Marathon yesterday, May 18, 2008. I have to say I was more excited and fired up about this race than I was for Boston this year. My life (and possibly my feet) will never be the same. But I say that with nothing but love in my heart. They say, "Ignorance is bliss," and most of the time I disagree with that statement, but now I am in complete agreement. If I had known or had any indication of what the Ohlone Wilderness 50K would be like after the Sunol Aid Station, I would have pulled a DNS (did not start).

I had always heard about the mysterious trail that you could run from Fremont to Livermore, but I never really believed it was there. Well, the beauty of that is now I know it is very real, indeed!

In early 2008 I knew it was time to sign up for my first Ultra (which is any distance greater than a marathon). I had two in mind, the Quicksilver 50K in San Jose and the Ohlone Wilderness 50K in Fremont. My friend from high school, Danny, talked me into the Ohlone 50K. He had run it three times prior and said I could handle it, but he neglected to describe the difficulty of the course! God bless him for that.

As I shared in a previous blog entry, I did a practice run with Danny on Mother's Day. We ran from the Ohlone 50K start line to Little Yosemite Valley, about 2 miles beyond the Sunol Aid Station. It took me a good 5 days to feel truly recovered. I remember that Danny pointed left and uphill and said, "During the race you will run up there and continue on to Rose Peak." I looked at where he was pointing and thought, "Oh, Dear God." My stomach was doing butterflies. Here was the cause of my butterflies.

In the car on the way to the starting line on race day, my husband held my hand. I looked to the mountains and said, "Honey, I'll be running over those today." As I said it I felt fear. I felt doubt. I started to cry. He asked me why I was crying and I said, "I'm going to miss you and the kids today. I wish you could all do it with me. I need you there today." Yikes, my moment of weakness.

He just squeezed my hand and said, "Babe, it's just another run. No big deal. You'll be fine." But I know he was thinking I was crazy. It was supposed to be in the high 80's during a good portion of the race. Turns out it was closer to 100.

Anyway, at the start the race director said there was one change to this year's race. He said that in the past runners had skipped going up to Rose Peak, cutting it out of the course completely. He said this year we had to have proof that we ran up and around Rose Peak by picking up a rubber bracelet at the top and wearing it back down. I knew at the very least, I HAD to get that bracelet.

The starting gun sounded and off we went. Mike, Danny and I all started together. It was awesome to have friends there. We power walked the steep climbs until we got to points that we all felt were 'runnable' and then we'd run. I remember hearing Mike say, "Jesus!" a few times. Or "Holy shit!" You know, things to that effect. :) Yes Mike, I know what you mean.

There was a lot of friendly conversation among many of us runners while we power walked that first climb. At one point we even joked about the grade of the climb we were on. My Garmin said 26%. The funny thing was that later during the race I would look at my Garmin again and see 46% on what I felt was the gnarliest climb! Yes friends, it was that steep out there.

While going up the Horse Heaven Trail another runner asked me if I was the person that ran the 3:14 marathon. In my head I was saying yes, but I know the Boston Athletic Association wouldn't cut me any slack on my potty stops so I said, "No I only ran a 3:17." He seemed disappointed and we ran in silence for a while. :( Eventually we separated and I never saw him again.

All was well as I hit the Laurel Loop aid station. I took my first S-cap ever. It really did leave a salty taste in my mouth as I was told it would, but the good part about using those is they pretty much make you WANT to drink fluids. The volunteers there were beyond helpful and nice, and I would find that to be the case at EVERY aid station. The volunteers at the Ohlone 50K were first class! Mike, Danny and I were still together as we got into the Sunol Aid Station. Danny's mom was working at that station and it was nice to meet her. I had some boiled potatoes dipped in salt, more fluids and another S-cap. Tasty stuff.

The climbs were really testing me now and the first set of downhills into Sunol had already started irritating my feet. I found myself just plain out of breath on some of those hill climbs. I just kept telling myself, "Move. Just move. Just fricken walk." And sometimes I would just stop, but then it hurt more to stop so I'd keep moving. It was a vicious cycle, really. The heat was also starting to get to me, but I still felt strong for the most part.

Somewhere between Sunol and the Backpack Area, Danny, Mike and I separated. I latched on to a very strong runner named Clare. She said she has run several ultras and I later found out that she had recently won a 50-mile race a month before Ohlone. Ultra runners just do not stop! We had actually all kind of been running together from the beginning, but she was power walking like crazy up all the hills and I could not keep up with her. I was only able to catch her on the downhills. We traded "leads" back and forth for quite a while, and she was so kind and positive. She was also wearing a running skirt! Right on, Clare! Anyway as I ran right behind her on one of the downhills, I looked up from the trail for a split second and then SNAP, I rolled my left ankle something fierce. I let out a big, "OHHHH," and started to bounce up and down on my right foot. Clare asked if I was okay and I really didn't know at that point. I told her to run strong and that I'd try to stay with her as long as I could.

I trailed behind her for a while and met up with her again at the Backpack Area (12.48 miles) This is where I met Rick Gaston, another blogger and quite a talented ultra runner. I took a liking to him right away because he looked like my younger brother. It was not until after the race that I learned that legendary ultra runner and ultra pioneer, Ann Trason, was there volunteering! Oh what a moron I am to have missed her. :( I hope I was at least polite. I took my fill of boiled potatoes in salt and potato chips, refilled on the fluids and head out and back UP. UP, UP, UP. Time to get to Rose Peak and claim my bracelet.

Somewhere between the Backpack Area and Rose Peak, Clare and I separated. I got this burst of energy, my left ankle felt fine and I ended up taking off. I never saw her again until after she finished. I thought about her a lot while I was on the course and kept saying, "If she catches me, I won't be disappointed in myself... I'll be happy for her!" But she never caught me.

It would be about 5 miles to the next aid station and I did not see this coming but I ran out of sports drink, and was down to about 4 ounces of water before I hit Rose Peak. When I left Goat Rock I had 40 ounces of sports drink and 20 ounces of water! During this 5 miles, I experienced strange things. I couldn't see the trail or the trail markings, I wobbled as I ran, I had a hard time keeping my balance. For several moments here and there, I wondered where I was. I don't know how I came out of it, but I'm sure my guardian angel was with me, holding me up.

Due to the lack of fluids, my quadriceps cramped very badly as I got to the base of Rose Peak. I asked the volunteer guide if he had any drinks or food and he told me the next aid station came down the trail AFTER I went up and around Rose Peak. Bummer! I power walked up to the peak and that helped. I was cramping so badly. I took the melted Power Bar out of my waist pack, ate half of it and washed it down with the last 4 ounces of hot water I had. Within minutes the cramps were gone! Thank you, God!

I got to the top of Rose Peak and saw a box not much bigger than a shoe box. It was loaded with the rubber bracelets. I picked one up and threw it on as I made the descent.

I ran past the helpful guide and waved as I said thank you and headed on to the Maggie's Half Acre Aid Station. Oh yes, this is where I drank Coke and Sprite and ate a little peanut butter sandwich and chips and boiled potatoes. I made sure to fill up on fluids and I took an S-cap. Then I ran down, just enough to get my feet burning again. Ouch! My legs actually felt okay though because if I recall correctly this downhill stretch was a little gentler. I started to feel a little better.

It believe it was somewhere around here that I met Joe McDonald, Beth Vitalis' boyfriend. By the way, Beth is 42 and she not only WON the woman's division yesterday, she set a new PR with 5:28. But I digress. Joe said he and Beth ran the course out and back TWICE (in one shot) over Mother's Day Weekend. Goodness gracious! And here they were racing the course a week later. Amazing, I tell you, amazing.

He asked me if I'd run Ohlone before and I told him I'd never run any Ultra before. He told me I picked a doozy for my first and I told him I'd heard that all day long! I was already convinced that they were all dead on in telling me that. Well, Joe did a wonderful thing. He pushed me when he saw I was slowing down, and he encouraged me to get to certain points on the course. He said he's run Ohlone 18 times and has seen something new and different on the course each year. So cool! He's tough, though. There were times when he actually yelled at me to get going. At first I was irritated because who was this guy yelling at me? He didn't even know me. And I was tired. I wanted to say, "Look dude, run on and leave me alone," but then I realized he wanted to see me succeed at Ohlone. He said, "I don't know if this matters to you, but you're the 5th woman right now and the 4th woman is only about 200 meters ahead of you." With that, I got another wind and left him.

Shortly after I left Joe, I came upon my Ohlone good luck charm, Catra! I told her that if I saw her on the trail while she was doing her 100 miles, I would take it as a sign of good luck. And it was! She also told me about being the 5th woman, and encouraged me to try to catch the one ahead of me. Catra, you were fantastic out there! I'm so happy for your accomplishment!!!

I saw the 4th woman many times from there to the last aid station. She looked strong. She pumped her arms as she power walked the steep uphills and as soon as she got to a runnable portion, she wasted no time and took off. Damn! The closest I got to her was within 100 yards. I never did catch her.

Anyway I wouldn't see Joe for a while, but I would meet him again before the finish line. For a while I ran downhill and it was really just HURTING my feet. But I kept telling myself that my LEGS felt great and who cares about irritating blisters and toe nails, and then I'd push on.

I passed right by the self service water pump at Stewart's Camp (mile 23.6) because I didn't even see it. Running this downhill section was okay. I think I just felt numb. Lucky for me I still had enough fluid to get me through to Schlieper Rock (mile 25.65). At this aid station I drank more Coke and Sprite, took another S-cap, soaked my head and upper body with a sponge (which I had done at every aid station prior), and ate more food. A male volunteer asked me if Glorybelle was my real name and I said it was. He said, "My wife's name is Glorybelle, too." I thought he was pulling my leg to cheer me up and make me feel better, but he wasn't! He told me she spelled it differently and went by "Gloria" but that her name was the same as mine. Small world after all!

I quickly asked another volunteer how much downhill was left. He said that I was about to embark on a single track, steep downhill for a while and that I could make up some time. Little did he know that downhills were my weakness. He then said I'd hit a fire road and head uphill. It would feel like fire because there was no shade and it's steep climb. I was actually okay with that. Then he said, "And after that, it's 2 miles downhill into the finish." I almost cried right then and there. I couldn't even fathom more downhills. I already had hamburger toes.

I headed out and before I knew it, I was on the single track. BRUTAL. STEEP. Downright scary for me. I prayed and prayed. I think my Garmin said -40% several times during this downhill section. I was slowing way down because I was afraid of flying off the side of the mountain into a ravine. My feet were on fire. I just told myself that it probably felt worse than it actually was. Joe and another male runner that I had passed way back when went flying past me as soon as I saw a safe spot to step off the trail. Joe yelled as he flew by, "Come on, get going!" Hahaha, damn that Joe! ;)

I was so happy to see the little stream at the bottom and the immediate, steep uphill portion of the trail across the water. The other man that passed me on the downhill plunked himself right down into the water and I was tempted. I said, "I wish I could do that, but I just want to get this over with." I wasn't kidding. At this point, I was just ready to be done. I was barely making it up the hills, shuffle walking is what I'd call it. There was no more power in my walk. Finally I hit a flatter portion of the trail that I could run. Well, barely jog is more like it. It was in full sunlight, no shade, high up on a ridge. The views were beautiful but I was too pooped to even enjoy them. I was so relieved to make it to the mile 29 Aid Station at Stromer Spring.

I soaked my body with a sponge, ate, drank, tried to work up a smile for the volunteers. The guy from the stream came into the station, went off to the side and puked. Then he got fluids and a little food. Damn these ultra types are TOUGH! I needed to suck it up and go. I took a deep breath, looked at all of them with fear in my eyes and said, "Okay, off I go." They said, "Don't worry, just 2 miles of all downhill." OH I CRINGED WHEN THEY SAID THE D-WORD!

As soon as I headed down it felt like my right pinky toe nail popped off and was cutting into my toe. I tried to run through it but it felt like a thumbtack was embedded in the tip of my toe. Boo hoo. I plopped my sorry butt down on the dirt and pulled off my shoe, then gaiter, then sock. The nail was still on but looked like it was lifted off the nail bed, and the blister that had formed all around it was just so nasty. At this time the male runner from the stream, who puked, ran by and asked if I was okay. I said, "I think my toe nail is about to pop off. Should I just pull it?" He said, "Nah, do it later. Who needs toe nails anyway?" And he was off. Freaking stud! With that I told myself to harden the fu** up.

I got everything back on as fast as I could and just ran down the hill as fast as I could without screaming in pain from the fire in both my shoes. Two miles of downhill to go. I kept telling myself that it should take no more than 20 minutes (if I walked). I knew I wouldn't walk though, so I'd finish even faster. That was my way of getting through it.

Then JOE caught me! It was so good to see him. This is where he got really tough with me though. Kept yelling my name this time and telling me to speed up, tuck my hips forward and lean into the downhill. Ha! Right. Mentally I was done. I think at one point I yelled back very sarcastically, "Yea, Joe. Okay." He would not leave me alone though, God bless him! He said, "Come ON. Two laps around the track to go. You can do that. Anybody can do that. Let's give them a show." Then he took off and I tried to keep up. He was awesome! I finished a few seconds behind him, and he was so gracious afterward. He immediately turned and shook my hand and congratulated me for finishing my first ultra!

I crossed the line in 6:45:36, 5th female, 31st overall, 2nd in age group and Female Rookie of the Year for being the first ultra-rookie to cross the finish line. Talk about being stoked! All the pain was worth it. I had finished my first ultra!
Steve from the Runner's World Forums had told me about the Rookie of The Year in the week before the race and I jokingly said I would go for it, but never did I think I'd actually get it! Thanks Steve for the heads up.

I met the woman I couldn't catch on the course. She finished strong in 6:38. Clare came in about 3 minutes after I finished. We all looked relieved. Clare said Ohlone was the most difficult 50K she'd ever run. That made me feel even better the effort I put forth out there. :) Mike finished in the top 50 at 7:28 and took Male Rookie of the Year! Danny finished in 7:53. The heat took its toll on him and thankfully he's okay. Two runners had to be airlifted of the course to nearby hospitals. One was still in the ICU as I type this. My prayers are with him (his name is Steve).

My husband said it was 97 degrees when he pulled into the finish line area down by the lake. I can only guess that it was much hotter up on the mountain ridges where we were running. It was a beautiful and brutal day all at the same time. I learned that ultra runners ARE special. I had always heard that they had a friendlier demeanor among us runners, and that they had a wonderful spirit. I heard that they were always supportive of each other, even in the dead heat of competition. And all the things I heard were absolutely correct! I was so happy to have run Ohlone with such a wonderful group of people. The course might have scared me away from ultras, but the people will definitely draw me back! But I think I'll pick an easier course next time. :)

Thanks to all the race organizers and volunteers for putting on a top notch trail ultra. Your smiling faces and incredible help at all the aid stations kept pushing me forward. Definitely one race I'll never forget.

And thanks to my sweet hubby and children for being there at the finish. I couldn't keep up this crazy hobby without your love! By the way, my hubby popped 5 blisters for me when we got home. What a champ!

Mike, Victoria (from Runner's World forums), Catra (dirtdiva), me and Danny at the post race picnic.

42 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is too bad that one of the first ultra-runners you met was Beth Vitalis & Joe. Do not be deceived by surface appearences. Inside they are no good. You would be much better off if you avoided them.

Anonymous said...

You are amazing! I jump into some RW forums every now and then and have followed your blog from time to time. I actually ran CIM last year and Boston four years in a row. Not near as fast as you but I keep going! Cant seem to get lower than 3:28, at least not yet. Maybe I'll try this plan you've shared one of these days.

The one 50K I ran was in Utah and nothing like this crazy epic adventure you experienced yesterday. Im very impressed at your mental toughness as well as physical. Im convinced the mind is about as powerful as a trained body.

Thanks for your inspiration, Im excited to see you make the Olympic trials one of these days!!

209Mike said...

Hey GB. Great race report. I didn't realize all the extra fun you had out there. Thanks again for sharing the experience with me. Congratulations on a great race. My report will be coming soon.

Gettin Older said...

What a champ! Great job GB!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Ok first of all I was talking with Rick today, he told he volunteered at Ohlone...I said "Awesome how did my blogger friend Lillie do?" he said you did fantastac and I was glad you met him...

Your re-cap was So Great!!!!! You are Such a Future big time Ultra Chick, let me take some words you said in ur report...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lil said: Well, the beauty of that is now I know it is very real, indeed!

"I'm going to miss you and the kids today. I wish you could all do it with me. I need you there today."

During this 5 miles, I experienced strange things. I couldn't see the trail or the trail markings, I wobbled as I ran, I had a hard time keeping my balance. For several moments here and there, I wondered where I was. I don't know how I came out of it, but I'm sure my guardian angel was with me, holding me up.

my LEGS felt great and who cares about irritating blisters and toe nails, and then I'd push on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Such Ultra Words!!! WHEN you do ur first 100 miler you will have ur family with you as ur crew, so that will be away to be close to them all day!!

Ahhhh I am so Happy for you & Glad you loved it..I said to Rick that I knew she would love it, wait until she starts to figure some things out(like taping the toes, wick-socks etc...), she will do so great in these Ultra Events!

OK sorry for the RAMBLE but you got me Fired Up!!!!!

God BLESS you and Recover well Hun

Rick Gaston said...

You couldn't have gone wrong with either race, Ohlone or Quicksilver but yeah I think Ohlone is the harder of the two. Good job. When you came through our aid station you looked just fine; coherent, good posture, eating, drinking and more importantly still smiling - all good signs. By the way it was the Backpack Area station where we met, no worries, a run that long will fuzzy up your memory a bit. That climb you guys had to take on after leaving us, in the heat and exposed trails..whew...painful. Congratulations on a great run. Don't let Ohlone scare you; you came, you started, you finished, end of story. I hope you continue to join us in these trail runs. There are more tough but spectacular 50ks in the Bay Area and if you ever decide to move up to the longer distances you'll have good options there too. Your ultra running friends can clue you in. Whatever fits with your marathon training. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and what an endorsement for our community.

P.S. Are you giving some serious thought about my zen rock garden idea for your two snazzy awards? Love those carved wood blocks.

Rick Gaston said...

P.P.S.
Ann Trason was the woman behind the table who kept telling you to eat and to take salt. She might also have tried to sell you on the Payday + Coke combo.

dlgoldman said...

GB -- that was so inspiring to read! I can't even really fathom what you went through out there. I guess I gotta do an ultra at some point. I've had it in the back of my mind... but I've also always been a little bit spooked as well! Anyways, I just gotta say that I'm pretty much in awe of how far you've come as a runner. You're an inspiration for so many others. Huge CONGRATS on your first 50K!

Heather said...

What a great report, and congrats on a wonderful run! I'm a ultra wannabe, still... your report is quite the inspiration!

F. Lee said...

I'm very proud of you sis! Way to not only push through your comfort zone, but absolutely obliterate it with a 50lb slegehammmer! Power thru as I always say. I'm proud to say your my sister!!

Victoria said...

Yay for you! You said that ultrarunners are tough as nails-- well, I think this race report (as well as your place yesterday) would put you squarely in that category. You are also full of positive energy- I look forward to seeing you in many more trail races!

Nancy said...

Just when I am in such awe of you I can hardly stand it, you go and rock an ultra. Nice going. You are amazing!

John Fenton said...

Awesome effort, GB, under brutal conditions. I don't know if I could have handled that kind of heat on a course like that. And thanks for the great report.

Just don't give up on road marathons entirely before you get your sub-3. :)

Now enjoy some more well-deserved recovery time.

John

keith said...

Kinda makes ya never want to run another road marathon ever again, no?

Great job! Can't wait to hear about more of your adventures!

Dave said...

GB,

Great Race, Great Report. Congrats on Rookie of the Year. You are inspiring. I only hope to do as well on my first 50 miler in September.

Dave

runningmandave.blogspot.com

Ms Eva said...

I am in complete awe as well. Not only do you finish an ultra... you pick a tough, hilly one and ROCK! Way to go! You ARE my hero! :D

rundangerously said...

awesome gb!! awesome!!

congrats on finishing, the ag and rookie awards, and most important of all - loving it!!

woo hoo!

Danny B said...

GB,
You are so awesome!! I am so proud to be part of your first Ultra. I'm glad Mike and I could be your rabbits as we watched you take off out of Sunol. You handled the heat like a seasoned pro. I know your not done with Road Marathons but you're next Ultra won't be too far away. Check out Don Lundell's photo site, just about every Ultra worth running has been shot by Don over the last 5 years. Don is the co-owner of Zombie runners. http://www.dclundell.net/running/images/ Thanks again for running Ohlone with us, you should be very proud of your accomplishment!!

Danny

Nuke Runner said...

Wow! What a run; congratulations GB.

"Who needs toe nails anyway?"....I love it.

Anonymous said...

GB, Congratulations on your first Ultra and Rookie award -- what an accomplishment! Your focus and determination came through at every step, from the ride in with hubby through the last down hills with your feet on fire. Great Job!

Unknown said...

I just printed out a copy of your race report and plan on re-reading it from time to time for inspiration and motivation. :)

You're truly an amazing woman GB. An ultra-runner (!!!), an accomplished marathoner, a great mom, a gorgeous wife, a law enforcement stud, a selfless friend, and a beautiful person with a pure, honest soul. You have to be SO proud of yourself and how hard you've worked to achieve all these incredible accomplishments. I have no idea how you manage to balance everything going on in your life AND remain on top of your game in each area. You rock so hard!!!

Can't wait to hear about your next race. I'm rooting for you, lady!

Erin

GB said...

Wow you guys! I am so touched by your words. I have cried as I read some of your comments.

Christy, thanks for actually thinking I could run the marathon trials someday. That made me chuckle though! Very sweet. Keep running smart and you'll keep getting PRs! :) See you at the CIM this year ???

Mike, I'm very proud of you. Your effort totally impressed me, and you finished strong! Are you never going to forget this, or what?

Gettin Older (Kirk), thank you so much for always cheering me on. Your support is amazing. You've been through so much yet you manage to be there for all of us.

BOB, Bob, Bob, I have always been in awe of your ultra running, and still am. This 50K is nothing compared to what you have run and what you will be running soon. Thanks for everything, and reading your comments made me cry!

Rick, awesome to have met you! I had a feeling I got the aid stations mixed up. Thanks for letting me know! I love those trail posts and yes, we are talking about putting them next to a path we'll be making in our yard... with rocks too. I'm bummed I didn't say anything to Ann Trason other than thank you. I remember her clearly now! Good luck in Wisconsin and I look forward to reading your report.

DLG, as Rick said, there are many great ultras to be run right in the Bay Area. Take a look and pick one. ;) I know you will.

Heather, thanks for dropping by. Be sure to keep us informed about your first ultra too. We'll be there rootin' for ya.

Lee, I wouldn't be in this mess if it hadn't been for you telling me about the CIM years ago! Well, we can go back even further when you came back from NY after running with Rainier all summer. Your enthusiasm for fitness has motivated me ever since. Rock on, Bro!

Victoria, you're awesome! Can't say it enough. You're so positive and I just dig that. Thanks for being so encouraging on Sunday!!! And I hope we get to run together again soon.

Nancy, I'm always impressed by your tenacity and your drive to improve. Keep up that hard work and cherish it!

John, my virtual training partner. You know me and no way will I stop road racing...okay, at least not until I get a sub-3. ;) Here's to our December goals.

Keith, you have also motivated and inspired me to go for an ultra ever since I read your first ultra race report. I am also tempted to use those Vibram Five Fingers... do they prevent dead toe nails and blisters??? ;)

Dave, thanks for your comments. I will think good thoughts for your upcoming 50 miler, as that is no easy feat! Someday, maybe, big maybe, I'll run one of those. But for now I will wish you well! :)

Rundangerously, I'm just trying to follow in your footsteps. Thanks for giving me that extra push.

Danny, my hubby and I were wondering how you're feeling and I hope you're recovering quickly for Dipsea. Can't wait to hear all about it. Thanks for making Ohlone happen for me! I really hope to return the favor when you run the 50 miler you told me about. Keep me posted. You know one of my goals is to beat your marathon PR. ;)

Nuke, oh man, you are another inspiration to me. If I could have your leg speed, I'd have it all. ;) Thanks for reading.

Anonymous, thanks so much for your kind words. I appreciate that you understand how important that moment with my hubby was. Are you sure you're not Bob Gentile? ;)

Manateechick/Erin, thank you so much for the sweet message. Please keep me posted on your running! Honestly there are days when I just can't balance all of it and i just have to say, "No" to things. And that's okay. I just try to say yes as often as I can to the things I love. :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the dark side Lillie.

Anonymous said...

Great job, beautiful lady!

I am so proud of you!

Karma

Urban Run @ Yoppi said...

HA! I was the guy who asked if you did a 3:14 marathon. I knew it was going to be a hot day since 9am had already looked like 3pm! I don't do well in heat because I'm from San Francisco and anything hotter than 65 degrees is considered too much. Coming back home, it was about a 40-50 degree difference. Good luck in your sub 3:10 (or is it sub-3 quest?) this fall! I'll be doing the same at Twin Cities this October with some other ultras as well.

seagull junker said...

gb
you are a rock star. with your speed you will do really well in other ultras. there is a ultra in your area almost every weekend. there are tons of races you can do.

you were on a course with ultra legends. ann trason and carl anderson. ouchie mamma. you finished MINUTES behind ken gregorich, a sloid 21:30 finisher each year at western states. you finished MINUTES behind joe swenson who finished under 19 and 3rd place at rio del lago 100 last year. and you finished in front of chihping fu who slammed last year!!!

hope you continue with these ultras. you will do very good. and oh, by the way for how close you finished to ken and joe, that puts you in top ten at western states if you can run that solid.

great job and great report.

the tom riley that didn't run the race. i just did a 50 miler and a 100k back to back weekends along with training every day in between. now i just wish i had your leg speed!!!

Anonymous said...

GB,

Wow! You are one amazing runner. My respect for you is at an all time high.

Thanks for a great report and thanks for being such an inspiration.

gaj

Urban Run @ Yoppi said...

Well, you asked for it. Race report is up!

mommyrun said...

AWEsome! You are incredible - great job on your ULTRA, blogging and filling us all in on the details (I felt like I was there with you!) - thank you for sharing!

Mir said...

GB, I am so inspired and awed by your report. I knew it was going to be a great read and I was right. :) I am not at all surprised that you did so well, but man what a journey. You are such an incredible role model.

seagull junker said...

gb
great report. you ran with some ultra legends. and having ann trason and carl anderson there wasn't bad either. having rick help you was pretty cool. and by the way, he does have some of the biggest calves in the ultra world. (i mean that as a complement) he passed me like i was standing still at miwok in '06. and the only reason why i passed him at states in '06 was he was sitting fixing a blister near kuput spring (the "pipe")(the halfway point at ws). what a great guy.

you were running in some pretty great company... ken gregorich is a consistane 21:30 finisher at states. joe swenson finished rio del lago 100 in 18:32! and you were only minutes behind them!!!

with your leg speed that puts you in top ten at western states, easy. think about it. keep running the trails.

you have tons of races near you. you could race almost every weekend there if you wanted to.

recover and look forward to reading about your next ultra.

tom riley, not the tom riley in the race. the tom riley that did a 50m one saturday and miwok 100k the next. all in preperation for WS. a race you should do...

cheers

Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) said...

I started reading your report looking forward to reliving the virginal excitement of a "first ultra." Wow, this was awesome, and got me a little choked up at the end. Thanks for commenting on my blog or I would've missed this.

Danny is so sneaky, suggesting this race as your first 50k, but I guess he knew you of all people could do it. I picked (not as my first ultra) the similarly hot and brutal Diablo 2003 as my first 50 miler and didn't fare as well.

3:14 = amazing, 3:17 = conversation killer --uh, am I missing something? Was the guy out of breath?

Cool to have Joe as your drill sergeant. I think I finished the Fremont Fat Ass in January with Clare--she's very nice.

Big congratulations-- not just for your ultrarunning debut, but for finishing as the female rookie! Very impressive.

I must say though that your toes would look much gnarlier without the polish...

Danny B said...

GB,
Wow so much peer pressure!! I know all those things seem scary, Western States and just hearing 100 miles! But we all know you can do it. Read about the race, look at photos and let it become a quest and you'll get it in your blood. Follow this years race online. Then go and do the training camp and have a blast. BTW, I'm recovering well. The heat got me good those last few miles, not to mention working at midnight then doing the race on no sleep, except for the nap on the Bus ride. I took a muscle relaxent to calm the cramps and that did the job. Im cotemplating my next move, whether to do Firetrails 50 or not. Ill decide after the Dipsea.

Danny

Baldwyn said...

Ultras really bring an epicness to our comfortable, civilized lives. Thanks for sharing your first experience with us, and hope to see you out on the trails soon!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

I am very happy for you. Sounds like survival was a battle in itself on Sunday. Amazing how well everyone did in the heat.

On a personal note:
It is disappointing that someone would take advantage of the popularity of your blog to slam the character of two of the kindest people I've ever met. On behalf of the sport, I apologize for that person's behavior.

To the anonymous author: My name is Ryan Commons and I hope that you can find it in you to apologize, find the good that so much of us see in Beth and Joe, and drop me an email so that we can go for a run. Beth and Joe are my friends and I'd hope for you to be a friend as well. Please know that your anonymity is safe with me.

rekrapretep at gmail dot com

Respectfully,

Ryan Commons

jen said...

Wow, GB, Congratulations!! What an amazing debut Ultra performance! You are a natural. I loved your report- it sounds like an absolutely EPIC day. You really make me want to do an ultra.. hamburger toes and everything! Congrats again, I'm so proud of you. :)

GB said...

I have read all your comments and can't thank you enough! :)

Ryan Commons, I so appreciate you addressing the 'anonymous' person who spoke negatively about Joe and Beth. I decided to approve the comment because I had a feeling somebody would say something nice about them besides myself! Both Beth and Joe came up to me again at the picnic, long after we had all finished and she congratulated me and told me how happy she was for me. I could see in her eyes and smile that she meant it!

Progman2000 said...

Wow, great report - you are awesome. I am curious as hell to see what the recovery is like after something like this - better keep us up to date on the blog. Excellent job!

Marathon Maritza said...

Amazing!! Great job!!!!

Those look like a champ's toes to me! :)

Unknown said...

GB,

Took me awhile to drop back in and visit your site (busy...poor excuse, I know) but just got done reading your 50km trail ultra RR and WOW! I don't think I can even come up with the words to describe what you accomplished! I'll just say it was a capitivating read and and an even better performance! Way to go GB!

Gregory (Pudov)

P.S. There is one trail ultra race that I heard about here in Korea that you now have me thinking about doing (no, not this year but maybe next year or the year after) :-)

aniejoy said...

Hi Lilly-

Great job on a tough course!!! I am excited to hear how your next ultra goes. :) I just knew you had what it takes to do this stuff when I read your race report from Boston (the RAIN year!). Congrats!!!!

polynesian_metal said...

You make me proud to be a trail running blogger. How do I get my crap on here?

Really I'd like to do an ultra one day, but trail running is a new sport for me and I'm just focusing on the 10ks.

Your story gets me fired up