After CrossFit on Tuesday and Wednesday, I had a hard time walking and using my arms. My legs were better this morning, but my arms were still toast. My dad and daughter accompanied me to the race, which was so nice of them. I love it when any of my family members come to races. After a 1.5 mile warm up and some strides, I got to the start line and off we went. There were 5 of us women who formed a nice little pack and we all stuck together for the first mile. It was very cool and surreal... it felt like we were all working together, pacing each other. We hit the first mile at 6:25, right on target.
At the mile 1, another runner and I left the pack and stuck together. It felt good to push each other. At the turn around I left her. We had a headwind going back and man, did it slow me down. I forgot that the entire 2nd mile is on a dirt path so that was kind of tough to maintain good speed on. My 2nd mile was much slower at 6:42 (I think). By the end of mile 2 I was thinking, "GET ME OFF THIS DIRT!"
Finally left the dirt and headed back to the start running on the road. I felt my upper body starting to seize up from all the lactic acid (left over from CrossFit AND building up from the race). No big deal, just run through it. My legs felt pretty fresh.
Then I started to feel this tightness in my lungs, kind of burning. No side stitch or cramp, it was like a weird sensation and then I started to feel like my airway was blocked a little. I know my lungs can handle racing a 5K, but I didn't realize just how much the nasty air from all the California fires would affect me. It affected me! My lungs actually hurt (well, something deep inside my chest and ribs hurt). Instead of taking my normal, heavy breaths at the end of a fast race, I was taking these short, shallow gasps. It didn't feel all that great.
Anyway, last 1.1 mile was 6:54 (or thereabouts). I finished the 5K in 20:44. Still way off my PR from before Boston, but that's okay. I'll get there eventually. I ended up winning the women's division so I got my 2nd trophy in the series. Two more of these 5Ks to go. I feel pretty confident that I'll get that sub-20 at the end of July.
Once again, GREAT job by Larry! (He's the race director). And to Shaun (owner of the running store where we work). Together they have organized a great little, local race series. I love it!!!
I'll post some pics soon. :)
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


13 comments:
congratulations GB
nice job speedy!
Awesome job on your win! Your CrossFit workouts sound hard, too!
Rebecca
(LA Runner)
great job on your race! Wow, way to push the pace. You will be sub 20 before you know it!
Way to go GB! Congratulations!!
Sweeeeeeeeet Chica, way to kick that dirts asssssssss :-)
Congrats!!! Your having a great year, keep that focus!!
ummmm I won't tell anyone but I am excited about you doing ur first 100 miler next year....just imagine running, walking, MOVING for 20 plus hours...having ur family CREW for you.... come on how awesome is that, right?! right!!!!!
--ok umm maybe you didn't actually tell me this yet BUT I know ur thinking of it--haha
Rock on GB!!!!
Great run in some nasty air conditions. Hopefully I'll see you at CIM!
Yay GB! I'll miss you on the trail races, but I totally understand. Which race are you trying to go sub-3 on?
Thanks peoples!!! :)
Victoria, I'm working hard for the CIM. Willis and I are gonna break 3, right Willis???
Nice one. Well it could have been a PR without all the nasty air and the dirt path. I can't believe you like read multiple posts last night including the super long KM report. I like how we all inspire each other with this blogging thing.
Congratulations!!! Nice run. I'm planning on doing more 5Ks in the future. I want that 19:30.
Sweet, sweet victory! Congratulations! :)
Wow! Although you didn't PR, you rocked it out in some crappy conditions! Way to go!!
Post a Comment