Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Friday, June 20, 2008

Running in the HEAT

Oh boy. I worked today at the running store and have I mentioned I love that? I do! It is so fun to help people figure out the kind of shoes they need for their feet, and then to see them get all excited about running. If I were selling ANY other shoes, I'd hate it, but running shoes??? I'll sell them all day long! I'll also buy them all day long, so I'm glad I only work there once a week.

Speaking of feet and shoes, since I've started running a higher amount of weekly miles my feet have changed! Wearing "neutral" shoes now kill my feet. I have started wearing low stability shoes as well as arch supports and the difference is phenomenal. NO foot pain and my legs feel very fresh. I also FINALLY bought The Stick. All I have to say is what was I waiting for??? That thing is the bomb. I can feel the tingling through my trouble spots where things are starting to loosen up.

I've also been faithful about stretching every evening before bed. I will sometimes roll on the foam roller first and then stretch, or I'll do some core work ala CrossFit and stretch. Yes, I'm using The Stick when I need some quick, trigger point relief and the foam roller to help me maintain the loose muscles. I figure if I have the time to watch TV at night, I can multi task!

Back to running... After work I headed straight to the track a little over a mile away to do 200 meter sprints with 1:1 recoveries. Little did I know that running ANY amount in 105 degrees would be a significant challenge, but I did it. It was kind of painful, but I nailed my splits. I finished with a couple of miles cool down (if you can call it that). By the time I finished, it was 104 degrees. At least it cooled down. ;) I prepped for running in these temps by hydrating all day and drinking sports drink. It really did help.

Tomorrow I get to do an easy run and I'm looking forward to doing that in the cool, early morning hours. Time to get cleaned up and hang with the hubby.

16 comments:

Gettin Older said...

GB, You mean I'm ahead of you in something running related?! I got a pair of Saucony Guides and a Stick about 3 months ago. I agree, what a difference! Have fun out there.

Kirk

Ms Eva said...

I will be buying a foam roller soon - did you by chance buy yours online?

Preston said...

I hear ya bout the heat, downhere it is the humidity. Go job on nailing your splits.

keith said...

way to rock it!! i can't imagine the fiscal irresponsibility that may befall me if i worked in a running store.

i may not wear running shoes, but that doesn't mean I don't like trying them out from time to time...

GB said...

Makita, I bought my foam roller at a local gym equipment store for less than $11.00. Definitely buy it online if you can't find a local store that sells it cheap... it's much better that way than at target or a sporting goods store where you'll pay about $30!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

have started wearing low stability shoes as well as arch supports and the difference is phenomenal. NO foot pain and my legs feel very fresh.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hmmmm I am neutral shoe peep with a high arch, may have to check that out...my shoes are still a bit off...and ya about time on the stick, huge fan, especially rolling my calves as I watch tv :-)

ahhh were such freaks --lol after my run today I pulled off both my pinky toenails, they I guess been ready to come off and the run go them ready to leave me :-)ahhh good times!

Anonymous said...

I just got a link to your blog from "Running with the squirrel". I loved your blog...nice. I have to tell you that I feel your pain. Here in Missouri we get temps regularly in the high 90s with 90-100% humidity. Running in this type of weather is very, very dangerous...have to spend much time acclimating. Good luck with all you have planned with the family and your running.

HHM said...

That is neat that you are working at a running store. I can sympathize with the running in heat. I am glad I moved to Denver so heat is not too much of a problem for me like in Vegas

HHM a.k.a. Berklaw from RW Forum.

Ashley said...

I hear you on cool morning runs...I ran 6 miles on the bike trail Saturday afternoon...never again...you know it's bad when the horizon starts to wobble... =)

Re: shoes, I have always had a fairly neutral foot but I am noticing that now that I am up to higher mileage I am starting to roll in a little more, especially on my right foot (I have one leg 1/4 inch shorter than the other, I forget which is which). What do you recommend? I currently wear Asics GT-31xx.

John Fenton said...

GB, I'm glad you've jumped on The Stick bandwagon. It is a wonderful thing. I wish I would have been given one when I started running. I use the foam roller for a few specific places as well.

As for shoes, the more I run, the more I like lighter and lighter shoes. I really like these Asics Gel-Hyper Speed 2 racers (6.6 oz), and I think they will be great for my fall marathon. I'm running in them at least twice a week now.

Stay cool.

John

209Mike said...

How's that wonderful air quality treating you today?

L.A. Runner said...

I am so impressed that you ran sprints in that kind of heat! I get up so so early just to beat it! Working at the running store sounds so fun. I would love to sell shoes. The problem would be that I wouldn't take home a paycheck. Haha, I would buy too many pairs! I also like your family pic. You guys are so beautiful and happy!
Rebecca
(LA Runner)

GB said...

Berklaws I have much to share soon about my CrossFir certification! Oh my goodness! OUCH!

Ashley, get into a running store if you have a local one and try on ALL the low stability brands they have. Buy the one that feels the best when you run in it.

Bohi, this air is so yuck! I try to avoid it by running at the butt crack o' dawn. I don't know if that even helps right now.

Gretchen said...

Way to go on running in the heat!

What kind of arch supports do you use? I wear Mizuno Wave Nirvanas which I love but feel like I could use some extra arch support.

I love The Stick. I have wanted one for years. I finally asked my husband to give it to me for Valentines Day. So romantic!

Happy Running!!

Ashley said...

My current shoes were purchased the end of March/beginning of April. They are already starting to feel "worn out." Is that possible?!?! I am running 10-15 miles a week. I did run the half in April in these shoes...was running 20 miles a week right before the half.

Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) said...

Hmm, do I see a future Badwater finisher, able to train without sauna session?....