Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

First 20 Miler Since May

I ran 20.05 yesterday. Miguel said this was going to be a 75 mile week, and a tough one. So far he's not kidding. Anyway he said to start at an 8:20 pace and pick it up throughout the run and finish at a 7:40-7:50. It was 76 at the start and 85 at the end, and believe me, I felt that heat.

My first 7.17 miles was at an average pace of 8:06/mile.
My second 7.38 miles was at an average pace of 7:54/mile.
My last 4.5 was at an average pace of 7:45/mile.
The overall pace for the 'working' part of the run was 7:56/mile average.
Mile 20 was my cool down mile, which I walked a 1/4 of because I was so cramped!

I practiced drinking a higher concentration of sports drink. I also took 2 GU's. Overall my carbohydrate intake during the run was 200 grams. My fluid intake was about 20-25 ounces per hour, mostly in the form of sports drink. I definitely needed more electrolytes (i.e.: more sports drink). I washed the GU's down with water. The calf cramps attacked fiercely at mile 18-1/2, so it was just the last half mile of the first 19 that I had to battle them... but then they stuck around big time for the cool down mile. Seriously, ouch.

I was glad I was able to complete the task the way Miguel prescribed! He was happy too. He sent me an email from where he's altitude training (Mammoth Lakes) and he was very excited (I think surprised) that I was able to do it. Anyway, after this week I have two weeks of taper like running in preparation for the San Francisco Half Marathon on August 3rd.

This morning I ran 6.7 miles recovery and I'll do 3.3 this afternoon. Another recovery day tomorrow, and then a tough tempo interval workout on Friday. Wooohoooo, can't wait. (I'm rolling my eyes as I type that, but I actually am kind of excited for it).

Have a good week!

9 comments:

Aron said...

you are seriously amazing!!

SF is my first marathon!!! i am in taper now :) are you running the first or second half?

Fishmagic said...

One thing I don't miss during my marathon hiatus is long runs. My hat's off to you.

I have, however, been contemplating a fall marathon, so that means, "up in the morning with the rising sun, gonna run all day 'till the running's done."

209Mike said...

That's awesome, GB. I can hear the engine purring again. Can't wait to see you break 1:20 on August 3rd.

Victoria said...

Hey lady-- nice job today! I've been trying to write more... emphasis on "trying"...

Seth said...

Hey GB,

Long time reader first time poster. In the summer I was down all my GU with sports drink. A lot of people complain about this causing stomach issues, but I've found a couple tums before I take off alleviates that problem.

This strategy worked great for me during last weekend's marathon.

Good luck at the SF half!

F. Lee said...

Nice sis! Keep it up! I have diagnosed my heel pain as Retrocalcaneal bursitis...aka Achilles bursitis. I'm down for a few weeks, but should be alright.

JWU42 said...

GB,

I switched from GU to eGel as they have a more electrolytes. They are also slightly larger in volume (150cal I believe).

Might be worth trying?!?

Anonymous said...

Awesome run! I run in the same conditions here in south texas so I realize what a great workout that truly was for you. I hope you seriously consider the 2012 olympic marathon trials!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Great Job GB ... NUUN is a great electrolyte drink, you may want to test it out...worth it!