Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

HOT outside!

It has been so hot in the last few days. The high yesterday was 106. The high today was 108. I actually ran 4 miles this afternoon when it was 108, and it wasn't too horrible. It wasn't the best, but I managed to stay very well hydrated. The hard part was the heat made my legs feel like they were full of lactic acid. It was hard to run faster than an 8:30 pace. I did feel a little dizzy and woozy around mile 3, but the feeling left as soon as it came about.

GOOD NEWS: My husband is HOME and all is great! He got home late last night and scared the living daylights out of me, but it was so, so wonderful to hold him again. He's home for 5 days before he has to go back to work. We are all so happy!

Quick recap of the workout from yesterday:
Ran this at 5:30 a.m., around 75 degrees and humid!
Did 9.2 miles total which included a 2K at 10k pace, 3 min. recovery, 1K @ 10k pace, 2 minute recovery, 400 at faster than 5K race pace, 3 minute recovery, and then repeat. The 2Ks were a lot harder than I thought they'd be. By the end of the 2nd one, my body just felt DONE. It was like a full out effort to get to the end of it. I think I almost passed out, but then was finally able to stop when my Garmin beeped. But overall, a great workout.

Did an easy 4 this morning at 0800 in 85 degrees, and then the 4 this afternoon in 108 degrees. I finished exactly 1 minute (down to the second) slower than the a.m. run. So today's heat differential made me almost 3% slower than I was in the morning. As I ran this afternoon, I imagined what the Badwater runners must feel like running 135 miles in 130 degrees. I know I could NEVER do it. The heat and I are not good friends.

Anyway, have a great week and I'll be posting sometime on Saturday after the 10K race. Wish me luck! I hope it's not in the high 70's again at gun time.

13 comments:

Victoria said...

Aack. That's hot. Really hot. Good luck this weekend Ms. GB SL.

BTW: Did you know there's a chocolate company named Lillie Belle farms? I'm in Portland visiting a friend right now and there was a flyer for Lillie Belle farms, which (duh) made me think of you: www.lilliebellefarms.com

Mir said...

108 degrees, I can't even imagine, let alone 130. Yikes. I'm glad you're being careful about hydration. I feel like I'm melting and it's barely hit 90 here!

SO glad your husband is home!!

L.A. Runner said...

So glad your DH made it home safely. Your workouts in the heat are impressive! Keep going strong, girl and get that stroller fixed!

Rebecca
(LA Runner)

Jo Lynn said...

It's interesting you say "The hard part was the heat made my legs feel like they were full of lactic acid." I get to the top of a hill these last few days, and my glutes and thighs feel like I just completed 1000 squats. Why do you think the heat does this to you?
Glad to see you're doing well.
~Jo Lynn

Ron said...

GB..I'm glad your husband's home now...
as for the 10K: 70 would feel good now that you've been in the ultra heat. Go nail that 10K!
Ron

Gettin Older said...

Be careful in the heat I had a bit of a woozy feeling after I got in from my lunch run, and I was not nearly as fast or hot as you.

Gretchen said...

GB you are my hero! I'm so impressed that you can run in that heat and keep up a decent pace!

Glad you hubby is home!

Best of luck this weekend! I know you'll ROCK!

cindy and christy said...

Ugh! I don't miss that heat! I remember trying to run in that weather at the track in my old Fleet Feet running team days. It was in the high 70's here today and I was complaining about heat & humidity to Val. You are going to be really strong for sf marathon! Hope I get to finally meet you there.

Ms Eva said...

Oy! I can't stand running in temps like that.

I'm so glad that your hubby is home - be sure to let him know how much we all appreciate his efforts to fight the fires! Big Hugs to him.

DawnB said...

good luck with your race this week end GB

Sunshine said...

Didn't know anybody ran in temps over 90 degrees. Wow!

Mark Tanaka (Ultrailnakaman) said...

By the way, your husband is THE MAN. He and all his firefighting colleagues, unsung heroes saving forests and homes. Thanks thanks thanks!!!

Fishmagic said...

Can't wait to hear about the 10K. Hope it went well.