Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Saturday, July 05, 2008

A Little Bit O' Speed

I did some speed work today and it felt good. It was difficult to get in the mind set. In fact, every ounce of me was saying, "This is gonna suck. Maybe today is not the day to do this." You know, trying to talk myself out of it. But then I thought, "Look, as soon as I get started the sooner I can get it done." When things started to hurt I just envisioned Shalane Flanagan, Kara Goucher and Jen Rhines running their hearts during the 5000 final. By the way, way to go, Kara!

Ran my warm up and strides, changed into the Brooks Racers and off I went.
1 mile at 6:17
4 minute recovery jog
1200 at 4:34
3 minute recovery jog
800 at 3:01
3 minute recovery jog
400 at 1:26
200 recovery jog
200 at :40
400 recovery jog
Then a fast 400, repeating the above 400-200 sequence.
I repeated the 400- 200 segment a total of 4 times and each split was within a second of each other, so I was pleased. Stayed in the 1:27 and the :40 ranges.
I could feel the lactic acid building in my by the 3rd round, and definitely getting a bit harder to deal with in the last round.
Did cool down miles, and that was that!

Then the toddler and I met up with the running club and we rode the bike next to the runners. It was fun to relax and socialize with everybody.

Tomorrow the little guy and I do 12 easy miles. I'll be around 72 miles for the week. Can't wait to race the 10K next weekend.

4 comments:

Da Weekend Warrior said...

Wow... how do you do it with work and kids?? My hats off!! A downward ladder workout... the ones i hate. Going up is fine, because I can slack the 1200 and 1600 lol. What left do you have to prove?? Oh yeah.... the TRIATHALON!! Its about that time now, dont u think??

Anonymous said...

Nice work out Lillie! I agree those three girls ran awesome!

Ron said...

Good work, GB. You're primed for any race now. But it iS time you update your 10K and put one down there. Good lick to you and your husband.
Ron

Runnerchiq... said...

Hi there! I hate speed work, but your times looks like the times I've been trying to hit in a new workout plan I created for myself to lower my 10k time. Your 10k PR is faster than mine, so I hope I'm on the right track. Thanks for your posts - this will be helpful for me to look at when I'm in one of those moods to talk myself out of track work... :)