Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Friday, July 25, 2008

A Little Taper

Thank you so much for reading and leaving your comments. I REALLY appreciate that. I feel your good vibes and they inspire me!!!

After last week I am now in taper mode for the upcoming San Francisco Half Marathon. I think I mentioned before that I'll be running the 2nd half (the easier one -- of course). ;)

This week I've done the following:
Monday - Easy run on the canals. 7 miles in 1:01:42, 8:47/mile average
Tuesday- AM Easy run on the roads. 6.1 mile in 50:57, 8:21/mile average
PM Easy run on the roads. 3.2 miles in 29:00, 9:03/mile average (95-degrees)
Wednesday- 2 mile warm up and 4 x 100 meter strides followed by 2 miles in 13:09 (6:36, 6:33), 3 minute recovery, 1 mile in 6:22, 3 minute recovery, 1 mile in 6:19, 2 miles cool down. This looked easy on paper, but it was FAR, FAR from easy. I had never pushed myself so hard before and I think Miguel only had me do this for one mile for psychological reasons more than physiological. It took me out of my little comfort zone and I need that in order to improve. It was out of this workout that I posted the following on Runner's World online:

"I thought about Squirrel's thread this morning before my workout. I had a feeling the workout would hurt when my coach wrote in his notes to me:
" Don't be afraid to push yourself hard for this last mile."

The workout itself wasn't long. It was to be run at a high intensity, sandwiched in between a couple miles warm up and couple miles cool down.

2 miles at slightly faster than 5K pace, 3 minute recovery.
1 mile about :10-:15 faster than 5K pace, 3 minute recovery.
1 mile 'as hard as you can.' Thus the, "Don't be afraid..." statement.

I was still hesitant to let it all go until the half mile point, and then I ran my heart out (literally). I felt the lactic acid in my shoulders and arms and my breathing was crazy. I even drooled on my chin because swallowing took too much energy! I don't know that I've ever done that before. My heart rate was 178 bpm, which leads me to believe that maybe my max IS closer to 181 than I thought. The effort just felt so HARD!

The workout was good for me psychologically. I need to push myself past my comfort zone and know really well what that "pain" of all-out effort feels like. That way I won't be 'afraid' when I feel it in a race.

I think I'll get over my fear as I push myself harder. He commented once that he has seen me finish races and has also seen some of my goal race pictures, and he said that I looked too full of energy the entire time, and especially at the end. It's true. I think I play it safe too much.

I know there is racing smart and there is racing timid... I think I've raced timid too long! Time to get over it! "

Anyway, today I ran 5.5 easy on the treadmill, ~47:00, ~8:32/mile average.
MY SWEET HUSBAND BOUGHT ME A TREADMILL AND SET UP A MINI GYM IN OUR GARAGE LAST NIGHT!!!!! He is the best!
I could not do all this stuff without his support and encouragement. Thanks darlin'!

I followed the run with 6 x 10 second strides to loosen up the legs and fire the fast twitch muscle fibers. Then I did 3 rounds for time of 21-15-9 reps of 30# overhead squats and Burpees. Took me about 10 minutes! Yikes. I'll get better... I hope. Yesterday I did Fran, scaled to very light weight and jumping pull ups, in 4:38.

Okay, time to get on with the day. Will be doing a series of 400s tomorrow (at 85-87 seconds). Not really super fast, but just enough to get the legs turning over again.

9 comments:

Gettin Older said...

I can't imagine you racing "timid". You always seem ready to kick tail and takes names. Good luck on the SF 1/2. Maybe you can look up Elie from RWOL...

Victoria said...

So exciting! If I was going to be in town, I'd come see you at the end-- but alas, I will be at school that weekend. Good luck-- your track/timed stuff is getting me inspired, too!

Progman2000 said...

Wow, good luck with the HM - very curious to see how you do since you've gotten over your "fear of going fast"!

Anonymous said...

Longtime lurker finally commenting....

First off, I'm always impressed by your dedication to running, especially considering you work and you're a mom!

Next, I have a question for you. How do you come up with your workouts? Are you following any particular plan?

I've run three marathons, but I'm looking to really hone my skills and increase speed. I need to get some sort of structured plan going but I'm not quite sure where to start.

Shannon

Mir said...

I saw that post and was really curious to see what your times were! Very impressive, of course. :) I can't wait to see how much you improve in the coming months!!

Enjoy your treadmill and mini-gym--your hubby is a gem. :)

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Enjoy the treadmill...I do like to mix it up and work on the treadmill a few times a week... really can get a good sweat going !! Enjoy!

Monica Cassier said...

Hey GB!!!! I haven't visited your blog in way too long!!! What amazing running you are doing - I'm so in awe of you sister!!!

I can't wait to hear the results of your half marathon - know you will smoke it!

monica

Rick Gaston said...

GB! Drooling while you run, nice. You knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Sounds like you are hitting your stride with the training. I will be here this weekend so I yeah I plan on coming by and saying hello.

Hey thanks for all the support and nice comments. You know Mark Tanaka doesn't use pacers or crew either. The knee will be ok, it's not the joint itself just the muscles around it, over worked because my hamstring is not 100%. I have time now to work on it. It doesn't bother me for the 50-milers so I can still do those for the rest of the year.

Nice on treadmill, now you can train well indoors come January, Feb and March.

Anonymous said...

Good luck this weekend.