Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sunday Night Sadness

You ever feel so tired and drained that you just want to cry? My kids are sound asleep in their beds and I should be too, but the thought of going to bed without my hubby is making me sad. I want to postpone it as long as possible. I just miss him when he's at work even though I know I will see him after his 24 hour shift. Anyway, that's besides the point. Or maybe it's not. The baby will be 3 in December and can you believe that my hubby and I have not had a real date or a weekend away without the kids since the baby was born! How I long for some time alone with my spouse. It saddens me.

But I know all this hoopla is temporary. The kids will be older one day and then I'll miss them when they're gone. The grass certainly is always greener on the other side. I just need to accept my life NOW and go with it. I'm crying as I type this. I think this is the most personal I've ever gotten on this stupid blog! Forgive me. I hope it's just PMS.

I had a busy day today catching up on stuff around the house. I think the cause of this exhaustion was getting up at 5 a.m. to do a 12 mile run at 5:30-ish. I did 24 half-mile out and backs, to stay close to the house. It was kind of neat doing that. Went faster than I thought it would. Got it done at an average of 8:00/mile. I did 2 x 1 mile pick ups at mile 7 and mile 10. The first pick up was 7:03 and the 2nd pick up was 6:48. Miguel said not to go faster than an 8-min. mile except when doing the pick ups, and not to run the pick ups faster than a 6:40 mile.

Anyway, after the run it was just go, go, go for the rest of the day. I think the laundry in this house has a mind of its own because piles of it appear out of nowhere within a couple of days of me washing it all. Same with the dishes, and the baby's toys. And then we grocery shopped, and I hate to grocery shop. The day did come to a nice close when the kids and I went to evening Mass. The toddler is so good in church nowadays. Very mellow. :) Jumping ahead... as I tucked my older son into bed tonight he said, "Thanks for taking us to church, mom." I'm so glad he enjoys going! So does my daughter, even though she won't admit it.

I'm sleeping in tomorrow morning. Forget running at 5:30, for once. I'm gonna run at 10 a.m., and like it. My legs are tired, my mind is tired. I need some sleep. I've run everyday since June 1. I haven't been counting the days, but it's a streak for me. On the day I actually take a break from RUNNING, I might go into shock. That day is coming though, after the Half on Aug. 3, I'm going to enjoy some downtime from running and I'm going to be cross training a lot more until marathon training starts. Honestly, I can't wait!

I will say this, I really, really enjoy working with Miguel on all my training stuff. He is so knowledgeable and encouraging. I completely trust his coaching. It's funny, he literally will tell me in his notes on my training schedule, "You'll feel fatigued on this day because of the workout you did on such and such day," etc., and he's RIGHT! Or he'll predict the paces I will run based on a workout I did a couple weeks back and based on the rest I've gotten before the workout. He's always within mere seconds, or one second! I hope I keep up my end of the deal and live up to his expectations. I'm feeling pretty confident about it, and I'll certainly do my best.

I just have to get over this Sunday night sadness. Time for bed. It's 11 p.m. and this is the latest I've been awake in over 6 weeks! Thanks for letting me cry 'on your shoulders.'

14 comments:

Fishmagic said...

Hope you're feeling better today. You really need to get out on date, or go away for the weekend without kids. But, maybe you don't have family near by, which I know can make it tough to do that. Hang in there.

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Hi!
I read often, but don't comment very much.
It's ok to get emotional on your blog! It is yours after all. And we'll read either way!

Hope you enjoyed your 10 am run:)

Anonymous said...

Hi! You don't know me, and I just happened upon your blog (while searching for Graco strollers...imagine!). But I thought I'd just tell you that I said a little prayer for you this morning. I have two little girls and my husband and I don't get to go out like we used to,either, and it is really hard. I will pray that you will get some quality time together soon. You really sound like you need it! Hopefully you got some rest last night and feel encouraged today. Have a great one!

Victoria said...

Oh my goodness! If there wasn't this thing called geography (and the fact that your kids have met me, oh, say once), I'd absolutely offer to take your kids for a night, a weekend, whatever. Seriously. Kids are definitely one of the best things ever, but being a foster parent for a year definitely pointed out that sometimes, you need some time for YOU. And some time for you and your husband. Nothing wrong with that.

Big hug to you-- hang in there. You've been training so much, it's not surprising that you're exhausted, but it's also totally ok to just feel overwhelmed by life-- whether or not it's because of all the training you've been doing. (At least, that's what I try to tell myself when I'm in perfectionist, "What, I can't do it ALL?" mode.)

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

aww hope ur feeling better today!!

Janette said...

I hope you're feeling better. Your blog is always so inspiring. I'm sure you'll turn around soon.

I was feeling similarly yesterday morning actually. I get that way when I'm overtired and I've been running a lot (for me) and not sleeping much. Of course that combined with the PMS like you said can be tough.

Just out of curiousity... where did you find Miguel? He sounds great. I also use a coach and love mine too, but I just like to see where people find their coaches.

Preston said...

I think some downtime is a good idea. The training to run these distances takes a toll on our brains just as much as our bodies.

Monica Cassier said...

GB...

You are such an amazing woman, you do everything with excellence. Whether it's loving your husband, raising and caring for your beautiful children, running so so so fast, investing in and feeding your need for your faith, you do it all with passion, excellence, dedication, and perseverence.

I am so lucky to know you - you are such an inspiriation to me...to help me get through my tough times...

Monica

Unknown said...

Anytime after August 15th, you tell me when it's a good weekend for you and Mike to go out and I'll be there babysitting your kidlets. OK.

cindy and christy said...

Oh - don't be sad! Your are doing awesome - you just need some sleep...and chocolate or a glass of vino. Trust me, I know just how you feel....going on night 3 with no sleep thanks to the teething scenario. I wish I lived there so I could relieve you so you could have a date night with hubby!

Hope you got to sleep in today. I' can't believe you did half mile x24 - autopilot! Keep up the hard work - it will all pay off. Don't be afraid to take a rest day when you really need it!

Have a great race this weekend!

GB said...

Wow! Thank you so much Fish, Endorphins, Melissa, Victoria, Bob, Janette, Preston, Monica, Maxe & Cindy & Christy! Your words and kind thoughts mean so much.

Melissa, thank you for your prayers. Yes, I do need them.

Maxe, you are the best! I love you, sis, and I hope all is well in your neck of the woods. We must talk and visit soon.

Monica, I miss you! So glad to see you blogging again and posting on RW. You inspire me, woman!

Thanks again for all the support. I hope to return the favor to you all someday. :)

Unknown said...

Awww.. I'm reading this late - so, glad to see you are feeling better. Sometimes life just gets us down... there is no question about it. The cool thing for me (here) is seeing you as human. Sometimes I think we all feel like we are in it alone or that we are the only ones that ever get down. But you are soo not alone in this.

And, umn.. how DO you keep running like that? There's no way my knees could survive 2 straight months of running! WOW. Good luck this weekend.

Marathon Maritza said...

I hate getting into bed without my guy too, it's tough!

However, I think that you should count your blessings that you have such a wonderful relationship that the simple act of sleeping solo is saddening - it's an indication of what a great love you have.

And how can that be sad? :) Hope you got some sleep.

L.A. Runner said...

I'll keep your kids!!! I'm always up for a good road trip. I'm sorry you were feeling down. I don't have kids, but when DH and were first married he had to move down here while I stayed to sell the house. It was AWFUL! You are so accomplished as a mother AND runner! Maybe sometime soon you guys can get a little time to yourselves.