DAY BEFORE THE RACE:
It was really cool to meet so many different runners who enjoy running in skirts. The skirts and bras were selling like hot cakes, like they were going out of style or something. I think I sat down for maybe 5 or 10 minutes the entire day, that is how busy we were! Have I ever mentioned how much I love their skirts? ;) Christy and Cindy, anytime you need a hand at one of the expos and I am available, I would love to work with you again. I really enjoyed it. Thank you very much for the fun opportunity and for your generosity! Christy, can't wait to read a little report on the first half. I saw your finish time and you did GREAT, especially for the first half of that course. I can only imagine the hills.
On Saturday night after the expo I met up with a lot of runners from the California Running and Racing Forum on Runnersworld.com at Buca di Beppo. It was so hard to get a chance to talk with everybody because it was very crowded in there and quite loud, but it was nice to put more faces to names. Runners really are so friendly and supportive of one another, in many aspects of life and not just running. I really enjoyed talking with Lori and Gundy. Gundy just finished running the Badwater Ultra Marathon through Death Valley and finishing up Mt. Whitney. Talk about a super knowledgeable, dedicated, talented yet very humble man. And Lori was just a sweetheart! She made her goal in the full marathon in SF running a sub-3:30 by 2 minutes. Go girl!
RACE MORNING:
Nothing too eventful. Woke up about 3 hours before gun time and choked down more fluids, sports drink, coffee and half a bagel with butter. My tummy was nervous, I was nervous. Met Larry, aka Mosquito, our running store general manager at the shuttle buses at 6:30 and off we went to the 2nd half starting line at Golden Gate Park. Made use of the port o potties once, and then made use of the dense trees and shrubs several times. Saw BUFFALO grazing in a field at the park and I had to stop and stare.
Warmed up for 1.5 miles, including long strides at goal pace. Changed into racing flats, checked the gear bag and fell into line in wave 1. I had gotten a voice mail from Miguel the night before and he said to go out at 6:45-6:50 for the first 3 miles, and then after the little hill at 3 miles, let it loose and be aggressive. Just go for it. He said not to be afraid and to push myself. He said to visualize seeing the clock at the finish line saying sub 1:25 (hahhahahaha, right), and that I was ready. And you know what, I know I was ready (but the course has to be pretty damn flat for me to get that time, at least right now).
Followed his instructions pretty much to the letter, but I live in flat land and the hills were longer and more challenging than I thought they'd be. I thought they'd be little rollers like CIM's course, but no, to me these were actual hills. Enough so that my pace slowed significantly on them. The downhills in Mile 6 were THE BOMB though. I FLEW down those things and had a blast doing so. What I did was monitor my Garmin for the first 3 miles to make sure I wasn't going too fast, and then I just stopped looking at it completely until I got to the finish line. I ran the last 10 miles completely by feel, and let me tell you, I felt it.
Looking at the Garmin AFTER the race, I realized that I ran .38 miles longer than I had to. I did not run the tangents which added on a significant amount to the race. I ran 13.48 miles at 1:30:03, which was a 6:41/mile average. But since that's not official, I have to go with running 13.1 in 1:29:09 (6:49/mile average). Not much of a PR at all, but I have to cut myself some slack because this course was so different from the last half marathon I ran in March.
My splits were:
6:44
7:03
7:14
6:49 (first 4 miles had some hills, in Golden Gate Park)
6:22
6:40 (several rollers)
6:40
6:05 (can you tell there were a couple down hills in this mile?)
6:33 (aah, flat)
6:31
6:46 (feeling fatigue and feeling headwinds)
6:40 (see above)
6:45 (barely, barely hanging on... in fact, gasping at the end)
3:15 (for . 48)
2.08 mile cool down a little while later
As soon as I crossed the finish line, Larry and David (another RW forum user) asked me if I was all right. I must've not looked too good. I didn't feel too good either. I saw my husband and ALMOST said, "Never again," out loud. Instead, I just said the words silently to myself. Of course that won't last long.
Afterward I went through waves of feeling decent, and then feeling just plain ill, exhausted, wanting to lay down and curl up into a ball and sleep. I still feel pretty crappy at 8:15 p.m., but I'll get over it.
I talked to Miguel after the race and he said he knew the course was tougher than he let on, but didn't want to psyche me out before the race. He was happy with what I did today because he said I was still very strong on high volume/low intensity (which is what I've done through the summer). He feels that the high volume, high intensity workouts that will come for marathon training will really help me improve by a lot, and not by just seconds.
To Larry (Mosquito Mosquito) & David (Golden State Runner): You guys completely rocked that 2nd half! Larry ran a 1:12 & change and David ran a new PR of 1:23 & change. As I mentioned earlier, the course was not easy. My hat is off to these two because they went twice as fast as me and felt twice the pain! ;)
I wanted to give a shout out to Billy & Paul, two other RW forum users that I met at the expo on Saturday. SF was Paul's FIRST MARATHON and he did great! Paul, you're a nut to pick that one for your first, but it shows how much gumption you've got. And Billy PR'd AND broke 4 hours by 8 minutes. He wanted to break 4 at the San Diego Rock N Roll in June but didn't, and I know SF's course is much harder than SD's, and he not only broke 4 but he broke it by a ton of time! Great job guys!
I have a few weeks of easy running and cross training to do. I'm looking forward to the down time. I'm sure it's all I need to get my race mojo back. Thanks so much for reading and for all the good wishes prior to the race. :)


21 comments:
Congrats on your speedy 4th place! Thank you so much for all of your help at the expo. It was like having the mayor in the booth! You are such an inspiration to so many (including me!) Thank you!! The first half was "fun". I'll blog the details when I get the energy. Thank you again.
By the way...you're hired! You rocked the RunningSkirts.com booth!
Happy recovery!
Christy
GB -- It was really great to meet you... and you ran such an AMAZING race! I saw you finish and I could see that put EVERYTHING you had into that race (you weren't afraid to be fast -- haha).
I'll look forward to seeing you at San Jose!
-David
GSR
Congrats on a strong effort on a tough course, GB. I looked at the results last night and saw your time.
I had a similar result in my 10M with a meager 22-second PR over my 10M a year ago (March 31, 2007). In my case, it wasn't a tough course, it was high humidity, bright sun, and 8:00 a.m. temps that were pushing 80F already. I was disappointed in my time, but I was happy with my placing (6th) and age group victory.
We just need to remind ourselves that we should have better weather and flatter courses in December. :)
John
Wow!! Great job as usual...must be the skirt. Do they make those in a Marine Corps tartan pattern?
holy crap that was a fast one!! way to go! the excitement always builds again...rest up and enjoy your recovery.
You are truly my inspiration! God has blessed you with such a wonderful talent for running, as well as a beautiful personality...you do not realize how many people you motivate and touch even through cyberspace.
Congrats on a well-run race and on overcoming a harder-than-anticipated course!
Well done, GB! Sounds like you kicked your normal amount of ass! It's gonna be fun watching you destroy CIM now after this tough experience.
hi GB! it was so awesome meeting you at the expo - you are so amazing and i am constantly pulling inspiration from your blog... thank you!!
you did AWESOME! i saw you go by twice (once where you go past the full marathoners in the opp direction, and once where the course had split and i saw you pass down below around 15th or something) i was routing for you! i saw that you were in front of the pace group at that point :) yay!
i COMPLETELY agree, i kept telling myself the second half would be easy and it was NOT especially after the first one. that was a HARD course! hopefully it will make my next marathon (yes there will be a next one) feel much easier :)
again congrats on a great race!! you rocked that second half!
oh and any pointers on the downhills?? those are what killed me, i did ok on the hills but i am not so good going down them, that hurts!
You are smokin' fast! Congrats!
Nice to meet you and WOW - what a race!
you definitely smoked the field...I am definitely in awe of you. Great job!!
Hey SL,
Congrats on a great race and PR! I know when I did the first half of SF in 07' I thought it was one of the hardest races besides Chi07' to date...part of the reason I decided running against it this year, so I give my hat's off to anyone who ran it AND PR'd....
This is will only make you stronger, you did wonderful and you are VERY inspiring, keep up the great work!!!
I couldn't run a mile in 6:05 if I were on roller skates! You are F.A.S.T. :) Great job on what was, I'm sure, a *tought* course!
Congrats GB!! Absolutely amazing finish. The second half course is certainly no picnic but you killed it. Great job out there, you are an inspiration. :)
GB-
WOW-What a great run. I am so impressed and in awe of you. You make me want to be a better runner. Thank you for sharing your running experiences with us.
I knew you would PR ;)
Darn those hills. It was the Presidio right. Any hill is a major pain in the butt when all you want to do is go fast and make a certain time. Anyway it's still under 1:30 and that rocks. It's not an easy course and sometimes the wind is kickin'.
Great to meet up at the expo. Turned out to be a really fun day of walking around and talking to other runners. Got a good cheap pair of glasses too that I can use for biking and running since I lost my last at TRT.
Way to go lady!
congratulations GB oustanding!!!
Great job out there. I'm a complete flatlander. So, the "concept" of hills is pretty daunting. BTW, your HM Splits were faster than the 800m intervals I ran today. So, I'm humbled....:)
Yay you! Nice running!
Thanks for the bday wishes-- and guess what just fell off, almost 3 months after the fact? My pinky toenail, thanks to Ohlone! (Just in time for it to grow out for Skyline to the Sea, and then fall off again!)
Hey GB,
Hope you have recovered nicely. I've got a half-marathon next month myself. I'm sure that you've heard this a lot but you are a huge inspiration to me. If you've read my website, you will see that I lost my best competitive years due to adrenal fatigue and to see you improve and set PRs in your late 30s means a lot and tells me that I can do the same.
http://jzehnder208.googlepages.com-includes a section of Bible commentary that I thought you may enjoy.
Holy wow! You're so fast! Congrats on the wicked time on a tough course!
My ultimate, all time goal is to do a 1:35...and Im giving myself a few years to do it!!
SWEET JOB!! Great pace!! That's nearly EXACTLY my first half marathon time from this past winter! Way to go!
And don't we ALL say "that's it" after a race, only to sign up for another one in a week....?
;)
Post a Comment