Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Possibilities

Life is full of possibilities. I choose to see things in a good way as much as I can. What I mean is I went to the sports medicine doctor on Monday and his preliminary diagnosis is Posterior Tibialis Tendinosis. My first thought was what is the difference between tendinosis and tendinitis?

"tendinitis
The suffix "itis" means inflammation. The term tendinitis should be reserved for tendon injuries that involve larger-scale acute injuries accompanied by inflammation. Take NSAIDs, rest, ice, etc. Usually okay within 2 weeks.

tendinosis
The suffix "osis" implies a pathology of chronic degeneration without inflammation. Doctors prefer the term tendinosis for chronic tendon injuries. The main problem for someone with tendinosis is failed healing, not inflammation; tendinosis is an accumulation over time of microscopic injuries that don't heal properly. Although inflammation can be involved in the initial stages of the injury, it is the inability of the tendon to heal that perpetuates the pain and disability. Most of the pain associated with tendinosis probably comes not from inflammation but from other irritating biochemical substances associated with the
injury.

If a tendinosis is treated early, it will take 6-10 weeks for full recovery. Many people, however, are unaware of the seriousness of beginning aches and pains, whether they be from work or sport. Often, if their pain disappears after a short warm-up, they will continue to work/play without seeking out proper medical advice/treatment. (That sounds like me). The result is chronic overuse tendinosis which can take 3-6 months for full recovery. An understanding of this is important for the treating practioner(s), insurance providers, coaches and or employers."

I have an MRI for this week and probably won't have results until next week but the doc says that I can train on it until we know for sure, but to be very aware of PAIN (not soreness) and know when to stop.

HAHAHA, I guess if I knew when to stop I wouldn't be in this predicament, now would I?

But yes, I have continued to run. Did 10 miles on the golf course yesterday, nice rolling hills. My foot/ankle bothered me a bit but it really really acted up AFTER the run. I did a lot of trigger point massage last night and talk about pain! But it's worth it if it helps the area get stronger. Tomorrow I'm supposed to do a long tempo run. I'm taking easy days off right now, but will resume them with cross training sessions next week.

The good news is that life is full of possibilities... and no matter what comes of this, there will be other things I can look forward to while I'm not running. :) God is good.

2 comments:

Ms Eva said...

Way to stay positive! << HUGS >>

Victoria said...

Oh GB, that sucks! I am so sorry to hear about all this-- Big hug to you and I hope you feel better... and take care of you!