Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Epiphany

I had one today as I attempted to run a 30K for 'training.' 18.6+ miles, a distance I've run a trillion times before, should not have hurt as much as it did today. Let me back up. I have not run for 8 days, not one step. I have cross trained like a fiend, going super hard on the stationary bike, elliptical and also pool running hard. Those workouts were so, so challenging and I know they keep me in great cardiovascular shape... but NOTHING can prepare me for running as much as running itself. And there in lies the epiphany.

Yes folks, my experiment was not a success. It was quite a failure as far as running goes. But I learned quite a bit out there today. I learned that I'm through feeling sorry for myself and that I'm at peace with my injury and the need for me to not run fast for a long time. I learned that Clarksburg, CA is a pretty little winery town situated along the Sacramento River. I learned that there is no reason to get upset when runners in their 60s or runners who literally weigh twice my body weight pass me on the race course. In fact, I found that so inspiring! It felt good to look over at them and root them on. I learned that I am so blessed to be able to enjoy the outdoors and physical activity, like I did today. There are people all over this world that can't walk, can't leave their homes, can't even fathom the idea of physical exercise let alone run. Either due to injury, illness, disease, what have you.

As I plodded along in the last 5-6 miles of the 30K, watching dozens of people pass my sorry, limping booty, I felt thankful. Competition comes from a latin word that means "to seek together," and I reminded myself of that today when I was able to just look around at all the runners: old, young, fast, slow, skinny, overweight, male, female. We were all out there seeking something better for our lives TOGETHER! It was really amazing to think about.

Now, onto the nitty gritty. I felt some nagging ache in the foot/ankle early on, but then I seemed to get into a groove and even ran several of the miles at a cruise tempo pace. The aches were still there, but not so bad that I couldn't continue running. Then at mile 10-1/2, the sharp, acute injury pain came out of nowhere! Like a cyclone hit. Even walking fast made it hurt. That was the beginning of the end for me. And at that moment, I said, "Just do what you can to enjoy the rest of this race." That being said, I tried to DNF (did not finish) at mile 11 and again at mile 15, but the sweet people at the aid stations said if I wanted a ride back, I'd have to wait until they shut their stations down and it would be a long wait. I actually asked spectators if they'd give me a ride back and they were there waiting for runners to come by and didn't want to leave. I don't blame them! Anyway, I knew my hubby and youngest son were waiting for me at the finish and I didn't want them to worry so I just kept going. I mostly limped, and when I was able to 'run' it was more like a hobble-jog.

I saw my family just before I got to the finish line, and it was the happiest moment ever! I hugged them and then hobble jogged to the finish.

My coach ran the 30 K as a workout, and it turned out that his workout paces were faster than the fastest guys racing, so he won by over a minute and a half! The general manager of the running store where I work part time also ran today and he got third in his age group and placed 6th over all. That is no easy feat because the guys out there today were fast! Seriously fast, like 5:00/mile fast.

My friends Kim and Toxie ran so well. Kim won the 20 mile race (women's division) and ran very fast, and Toxie came in third in his age group (and about a minute ahead of Kim). Outstanding!

Well, I'm going to go back to cross training, but also include a few days a week of easy running along with a long run at an easy pace. I think my body and foot are so 'dead' because I ran that distance after taking over week off (and because I'm injured anyway). So now I know my body does not do well on a plan like that. I like experiments! :)

P.S. I got a lot of compliments on my outfit today... of course, a running skirt from www.runningskirts.com, a matching tank (also from rs.com) and knee high compression socks. I think it was the socks & the skirt combo.

11 comments:

Mir said...

Sorry to hear about the tough day--but as always you come through with a great attitude and take something from it. Once you get healed you will be back out there getting faster. Don't give up (not that you ever would). Thanks for continuing to be an inspiration at a time when most (myself included) would be wallowing in self-pity.

Ms Eva said...

I'm sorry that you had such a tough race. I've said it before, you are such an inspiration. I can't believe you finished when you were in such pain. Remarkable.

Now - in regards to your RS outfit... you can't mention it w/o posting a picture!

:D

Da Weekend Warrior said...

RECREATIONAL RUNNER!!!!

Told you I would remind you at every single juncture!! LOL. Whatever happened to not racing?? Sure, MsLady, this was a "training" run, but knowing yourself, do you REALLY think you could not attempt to race at some point of the run??

Yeah, this is a kick in the rear type of comment, because you know better... rest dear, rest!!!!!! LOL. And guess what, after the weeks of rest, when you start back up, you'll be even faster and refreshed!!!

L.A. Runner said...

GB,
So sorry your run didn't turn out the way you wanted. I really admire your attitude and thankfulness. I know it's hard, but try to be patient. You will get to where you want to be! Keep pluggin' away at cross training. Best wishes!
Rebecca

Victoria said...

Oh, how the universe has ways of insisting we remember the lessons we're supposed to learn. I'm trying to take it super-slow right now, so maybe when I'm up to something respectable like 4 miles (ha), we should run a nice little recreational run.

Take it easy, GB-- and hey-- you could use the extra time for writing! (hee hee!)

Tara (aka Running Radi) said...

This is an incredibly inspiring post!

I'm so very sorry you had to experience pain and the race did not go as you had hoped. Just remember although hitting the roads after being off for 8 days felt tough you still have all of those hours, days, weeks, and years of running and training still within you. It reminds me of the first ski day of the season which always feels awkward, like a first timer again, but by the end of that first day I'm back in the groove and then by the 2nd or 3rd day back up on the mountain I return to where I left off the prior season. Once you are able to be running more consistently it will come back quickly, probably more quickly than you think!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Nat said...

Aww, I'm sorry but you are injured and you are just going to hang tight for a while. It is hard--I'm right there with you and I am desperately keeping the green eyed monster at bay and trying instead to be positive and cheer for my training compats recent accomplishments. It is hard to get passed but being positive is what is going to get you through this!

You'lll be back out there 100% kicking tail in no time. Stay cute and positive and heal up in the meantime!

Monica Cassier said...

GB - You are one of the toughest, most thoughtful, dearest people on the planet!!!

I'm so glad you are on the mend! Did you see the latest Runners World with the article on exercise-induced ... uh, shoot - what was that you had? Shoot shoot shoot. Post 40 moment. You know what I'm talking about: your throat swelled up, an allergic reaction kind of thing... Oh, man: I'm hopeless!

Anyway... I hope and pray you are doing better! I'm RUNNING A HALF MARATHON ON SATURDAY! My first race since like May! I have no clue what to expect. Could be fast... could be timed by a sundial! WE SHALL SEE!

I ran a tempo run and my last 'tempo mile' I thought "This is GB's marathon pace..." YIKES!

I'll keep you posted...
I have a new blog entry, please read and enjoy.

Thank you for being such an inspiration!

XX00,
Monica

soleslide said...

30k! Now I have an inferiority complex.

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

Wow, love your attitude. Our bodies keep us humble from time to time, even those with huge talent! Try to be patient, let the injury heal, coax it gently! I'm nursing a sore ankle/foot too, just when starting to do some speedwork to improve my slow times, so I know your frustration. You've got lots of time though, and someday this blip will just be a distant memory.

Cynthia

John Fenton said...

GB, I'm sorry to read about your rough day. I know it's tough to take time off. It would kill me too. But six weeks of elliptical training and cycling won't kill you. I'd limit myself to a few short runs per week (if any) and one easy medium run every few weeks (maybe). There's plenty of time to get ready for a spring 'thon once you get the clearance to run.

And don't you dare run CIM! ;)

Your friend, John