Happy New Year! I weighed myself today and it was not pretty. I'm the heaviest I've been in almost two years! 138 pounds. My goal is to be down to 120 by the end of June (when I turn 40).
I have to admit that in the last month or more, I've been eating a lot without any thought behind it. When I do that AND I don't exercise or run like I used to, I obviously gain a lot of weight. It was just two months ago that I weighed 130. Oh well, I'm not going to worry because I know when I am back to running regularly for at least 45 minutes a day, the weight will come off rather quickly. It always does. I'm also tracking what I eat and limiting my calorie consumption to what my body needs based on my current activity level. Before I get into full swing marathon training, I only need about 2000/day to lose a pound a week. When I get heavy into training, I can eat about 2200-2300 calories per day and still lose a pound a week (if not more, depending on how hard I train).
I went for a wonderful, glorious run today. 45:30. I'm running based on TIME alone for the next 10 days, and then I will start paying attention to actual miles covered. Today's run was just a quick jaunt over to the nearby rain basin which is very deep and has great grass to run on. When I got there I ran up and down the sides of the basin for 25 minutes, charging up the 'hills' (about 9 seconds long) and then jogging back down. Before running home I did 25 pull ups (combined jumping with kipping), 40 push ups and then 50 steps for each foot of the following:
heel walks with toes out to sides, exaggerated pronation walks on insides of feet, exaggerated supination walks on outsides of feet, and heel walks with toes straight up.
I felt so strong on the run today, something about running on grass and up and down the little hills. My feet were soaking wet by the time I got home. Even now, several hours later, my piriformis is NOT bothering me, nor are my feet, or my back.
I will be running some kind of hills (even on a treadmill if I have to) at least three times per week during this easy base building phase. I will also throw in one session of short tempo running (no more than 20 minutes at a time), and probably strides once a week (like 6 x 100 meters). I will also do a medium long run during the week and a long run on the weekends, not to exceed 30K until I'm in actual marathon training.
I just want to have fun and get the joy of running back. No pressure, just freedom! I want to feel good again and not beat up. I will get my strength back and when I do, look out, because that's when I'll be racing again. I can practically taste it right now and I can't wait! But I will be patient, smart and not put undue pressure on myself.
Miguel is giving me a base building schedule that includes all the things I just typed. I'm looking forward to working with him again!
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


7 comments:
It sounds like you are back on track to running injury-free! I wish you and you family a wonderful 2009.
Good luck with your goals GB! Sounds like you got the year off to a great start and with the right attitude. I am sure your weight and fitness will be right where you want them within a very short time frame. Happy New Year to you and your family! :)
Holy OPRAH WINFREY Batman!! 138 lbs?? That is soooooo huge (can you see my eyes rolling). I'm sure u'll be down to 120 in no time, enjoy the holidays. Weight is not a factor now!! We all have our holiday lbs to lose!! All boils down to did you enjoy your holidays?? Running will always be there, but precious time & fun with family and friends is priceless!! Hope you have a great 2009, and many PR's!!
Sounds like things are coming together. The 30K comment made me think though... how far is that... dang metric system.
Happy New Year GB!
Thanks for your post about ankle exercises. I think we would all benefit from doing those. I've noticed that I feel alot less beat up after trail runs than street runs. I still wear a brace for my weaker ankle on trail runs, though it seems stronger now than in many years. You might benefit from a trail run too on your longer/easier days. It varies the strain on different parts of the body and is harder work too, hence usually slower.
Good luck this year, and thanks for sharing your training and plans!
Cynthia
The title of your blog is what I try to tell myself everyday! I feel like I can relate to this post of yours. I normally weight around 122 and now I weight 127...I eat a lot of food and haven't been running that much this past month for some reason. I need motivation! Good luck to you!
I'm glad you're getting your health back! You'll be back in shape in no time! Remember: REST IS GOOD.
I'm out of the boot and get to try running in 2 weeks if my foot isn't bothering me... can't wait!
monica
Post a Comment