Another running friend of mine, Jonathon Gunderson, wished me well for 2009 and hoped that I got healthy enough so that I could just 'let it ride' at some races this year. That was the perfect way to say it and that's how I want to look at the races I run in 2009. For the past two years I have been so hung up on training goals and race goals and PRs and age group wins and/or placements. I got in over my head, big time. In hindsight I believe it was my anal retentiveness about all those things that led to my overtraining, injury and then subsequent setbacks. I got greedy and wanted it all... too much too soon.
I am regaining control of my old self by relinquishing control of my old self. This goes back to my "Back to Basics" post a couple of weeks ago. No more racing the workouts and no more beating myself up if I miss a workout. I love to train hard and I love to race, but STRESSING over those things defeats the purpose of running for me. So I am not going to stress over my running anymore. I am going to run, train, race and "LET IT RIDE." Thanks Jonathon!!!
A quick report on my first organized run of 2009: The California 10 in Stockton.
Gorgeous morning, about 35-degrees at the start (0900) and super foggy. The fog stuck to our eye lashes and made us all look like we had white lashes. Did not warm up much on purpose, so that I wouldn't attempt to race.
Met Layla at the start. She also posts on the Runner's World Forums. She set a new PR and got an age group award. Yaaay!
My plan was to run the first 3 miles at 8:00-8:10 pace, then 1-1/2 miles of fartlek (:30 hard/:30 easy), then 1/2 mile recovery, then the next 4 miles at 7:30-ish, then cool down for the last mile (10 miles total). Plan was executed perfectly! I slowed just a tad in the last mile before the cool down, but I'm fine with that.
I felt really good throughout the run, was pleasantly tired at the end, not exhausted. My foot felt a teeny bit sore in the last two miles, but not painful. My new way of thinking is if I feel that sharp pain again, I'm stopping immediately!
I met Allie after I finished. She's another RWOL forum user, and talk about modest! She ran sub 1:05 and she's just a tad younger than me. She won our age group. Superb!
Had a quick post race brunch which was actually soup & salad (so yes, I was starving by the time I left the parking lot a half hour later).
All in all a fun day. EXCELLENT organization and volunteers were plentiful throughout the course. The roads are open to drivers, but they all seemed very courteous to us runners. Two aid stations with water only which is perfect for a 10-miler. I think I'll make it an annual early winter run.
Layla later told me that she heard my name called for an age group award. Apparently I took third in my age group. Fun times!
Thanks for reading!
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


8 comments:
Let me know if you're going to be out this way at all-- either for a training run or for a race! Happy New Year, too! Good to see you back running...
I can relate to you so much! I just 'retired' from professional figure (bodybuilding) competitions last year and it's such a complicated process. Learning to enjoy exercising "like everyone else" is so much easier said than done. You're transition back to your 'old self' is wonderful, you should be so proud!
Injuries can sometimes teach us a lesson. When God closes a door, he opens a window! Keep up the excellent work!
Good stuff GB. I like hearing the joy in your voice again when it comes to running. You should have told me you were in that race - I would have come down to say hello.
Congratulations on completing a fun stress-free race!! I am doing a few races this spring that I'm not really training specifically for or worrying about- I can't wait to just "let it ride" myself. Love it!! Congrats to the other runner friends that totally rocked it. You're a bunch of fasties!
Great work on the "race." I love that you placed in your AG doing a workout. You have a great outlook and I think it will bring even greater rewards for you this year.
Great advice. I ran with Jonathan last Saturday and I believe I'll be running with him again this weekend. I'll squeeze him for some running wisdom, I always do anyway, my heat training program came from him. Seems like a good motto for 09, "let it ride".
Happy New Year Silly Lillie. Hope to see you out on the trails again soon. I prolly will be at Ohlone again as a volunteer.
sounds like you had a great start to 2009, both mentally and physically. can't wait to see what this year holds for you!
Glorybelle, I just stopped by to catch up and wish you the happiest of times in '09. Congratulations on that first race of the year. Mine was a half marathon which I ran with TCoplen on 01/03 in Mississippi. We had a nice FE (6 of us) and had a wonderful time. My '08 ended pretty well as I had the back surgery in May, resumed light training in July, and ran the Marshall Marathon on 11/02. Then I just maintained until the half on 01/03.
Stay in touch and hugs & kisses to you & the family from Sugar and I!
Post a Comment