I've been forcing myself to cross train over the last nine days, and will continue to cross train through the end of the week. I have run just a couple of times in the last 9 days, very easy running. I've been using the elliptical for hard workouts, riding the bike and swimming for general aerobic stuff. I've done some light drills here and there, and a couple of CrossFit workouts. I'm feeling good, physically. A little sore believe it or not, but that's probably from using muscle groups that I typically neglect. I will tell you that swimming felt so easy yesterday. I was in the pool for about 20 minutes after doing over 50 minutes at a tempo effort on the elliptical, and the lap swimming was a breeze. I think the water will be my friend at least once a week. And also the elliptical, and also the bike. I can use these resources in lieu of a second run, and still reap the same benefit.
My problem is... I'm literally afraid of running right now. Just afraid of feeling another pull or strain and then giving up on running again. Isn't that stupid?
What happened to fearless me who had no trouble lacing up the shoes and just getting out there to run already? How long will she be gone? Will she ever be back? God, I hope so. I pray so.
Okay, thanks for listening to my rambling. Keep moving! And if you have any words of wisdom to help me get over this fear I have of running... please leave me a message. Thanks.
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


9 comments:
I can't wait 'til we're laughing at this whole period. Keep the faith!
What happened to fearless me who had no trouble lacing up the shoes and just getting out there to run already?
she got hurt. It happens. Your fear is totally understandable and that's what it is, it's fear. Dont let it get the best of you. I know you'll be out there again.
Hey GB,
I'm glad you're out there moving that body. Considering what you've been through the past year I think being a little shy of the run is understandable and may be a good thing. Better to be too cautious than too aggressive. azpoohk's been in the pool for the past several weeks and Radi's had to do eliptical only the past week. I haven't done squat - after 5 weeks off I finally got a 7 miler in yesterday. I wish I'd been doing some sort of XT instead of sitting on my butt. I'm pretty unfit right now and that's making the running miserable.
Maybe at this stage you have the right mindset to quit running and walk it back / call for a ride instead of pushing through if things aren't going well? Maybe start with "intervals" at an easy pace around the neighborhood?
Good luck!
I agree with HC on staying close to home. Nothing wrong with testing the waters! To me, coming back from an injury is like tapering. You are always on edge, feeling every little move your hyper-sensitive body makes. Work on getting stronger, little, by little. Hang in there! This too shall pass.
2 Timothy 1:7 is for you.
Have no fear! Be of good courage! The Lord your God is with YOU! The race is not given to the swift or the strong, but to the one who endures. You've proven many times over that you CAN endure your running. You are an overcomer. You are more than a conquerer.
Be blessed!
Mike, DogLb., Sky/HC, R/L.A.R & Smillie Lady, thanks for you messages and helping me out.
Sky, I completely understand what you mean by feeling unfit. After I took all that time off to do NOTHING after I ran the CIM for fun, I was about 8 lbs. heavier by Jan. 1. I'm still working hard for it to come off.
Smillie, I will keep the faith! :)
And DogLb., I will suck it up and not let it get me down.
Mike & LAR, I'll keep chipping away at it bit by bit and yes Mike... we will laugh at ourselves when looking back at this.
Hugs everybody!
It's understandable that you'd be gun shy and there's nothing wrong with being cautious (very good, in fact), but don't let it paralyze you. You are meant to get out there again so go for base, don't push too hard and you'll be good.
Also, "once bitten" - I bet you'll be hypervigilant about any tweaks and twinges now, which means you'll tend to them sooner, keeping them from turning into full-blown anything again. Glorybelle 2.0, here you come.
I can totally understand your fear, I've been there! Just do what you can to stay healthy and safe and think positive. You're in good hands. :)
No words of wisdom, GB, except that it will pass. You are not "broken." You're still a gifted runner, and you will come back stronger and wiser than ever.
John
P.S. Boston 2010?
Post a Comment