Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Mini-breakthrough run

I had a breakthrough run today and very unexpected. It was 20:00 w/u and some striders followed by 2 x 10:00 at tempo effort with 3:00 jogging recovery, followed by 15:00 c/d.

My 10 year old son accompanied me on his bike and I'm so glad he was with me. It's always nice to have company when I run.

During the warm up my body felt sluggish, heavy legs, tired, yet mentally alert. Nothing hurt. It even sprinkled on us a bit as I ran the warm up.

I did the striders and every one of them felt great, no pulling anywhere! I set the timer on my Garmin for 10:00 and off I went (no pace feature used). I felt strong, fast (for me) and like I was working very good but controlled. In the last minute or so of the first interval, I could hear my breathing getting more rapid and I could feel a teeny, tiny bit of lactic acid creeping in to my body.

During the 3:00 recovery jog I peeked at the history of my first interval and I ran 1.43 miles at a 6:59/mile average which is currently within my recommended tempo pace according to the last 10K I ran. Thanks to McMillan's calc.

During the recovery I caught my breath and chatted with my son. As the count down timer beeped to prep me for the next 10:00 interval, I got a tiny bit of nervousness in my belly but it immediately went away and I just thought, "Just run it like you did the first one... relax."

I felt pretty identical to the first interval, strong, fast but controlled. At some points I even thought I had slowed down so I picked things up again and just kept telling myself, "It's only 10 minutes and IT'S NOT A RACE!" In the last minute or so I definitely felt some lactic acid but not too much, and my breathing was louder but just about as rapid as the first interval. I ended up running 1.49 miles for a 6:41/mile average. I did not expect that because I really thought I'd slowed down. I think what I was feeling was the work.

After the 3:00 recovery jog, I felt like I could run another interval which is a good thing. Instead I ran my 15:00 cool down home. It sprinkled on us again and I loved it.

My son is so funny, he said, "Mom, it was hard to keep up with you when you ran fast, and I'm on my bike!" I ran through sprinklers on the way home, and he rode through them. The cold water felt so good!

It feels good to be getting a little closer to my previous training paces. I'll continue to be careful though.

5 comments:

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

Wow. That's great! What are you doing to keep yourself fit and uninjured? With me, it's always one thing or another tightening up or hurting.

Glad you are feeling better too! Must be nice to train alongside your son. You're a great role model for him!

Cynthia

L.A. Runner said...

So glad you are feeling better! Great workout, too!

Michelle Thoe said...

That is so awesome to read! Isn't it amazing when things turn out better than you anticipate? Inspiration for my morning of hills with my running group. Thank you!! Michelle

Fishmagic said...

Congratulations.

Hua said...

Hi Glorybelle,

Glad to hear about the positive workout with your son! I'm Hua, the director of Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, a network of over 2,000 of the best health writers on the web (including doctors, nurses, healthy living professionals, and expert patients). I think your blog would be a great addition to the Network in the Running Community, and I'd like to invite you to learn more about it and apply to join at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger. Once approved by our Chief Medical Officer, your posts will be republished on Wellsphere where they will be available to over 5 million monthly visitors who come to the site looking for health information and support. There’s no cost and no extra work for you! The HealthBlogger page (http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger) provides details about participation, but if you have any questions please feel free to email me at hua@wellsphere.com.

Best,
Hua