Today was not my day, mentally. Physically I have no issues, no serious problems I'm battling with. Mentally I was not in the game at all. I started to fade immediately after the first mile, got really slow by mile 3, and then kind of jogged the rest of the way in. I left pretty much nothing on the course except a few drops of sweat. I had truck loads of energy when I finished. In fact, I jogged the last couple hundred meters. Lame, I know.
Seriously, I have no excuse or reason for not racing well today. The only thing I can think of is that I didn't care how I did. This was one of those "keep me in shape between races" kind of race.
The upside to my suckiness is that I got a decent 6.2 mile tempo run done. 43:31 which is an average of 7:00/mile, which is within my current tempo pace range. I also placed 1st in my age group, 40-49.
Wanna see my splits? Too bad, I'm going to post them anyway:
mile 1 -- 6:45 (felt fine, but started to not care)
mile 2 -- 6:56 (at this point I thought, "Whatever.")
Missed the 3 mile marker
mile 4 -- 14:10 (so let's just say 7:05 for miles 3 & 4 - I was kind of enjoying the mellow pace)
mile 5 -- 7:13 (I was purposely taking it easy now, no regrets)
mile 6 -- 7:04 (was thinking "just hurry up and finish already" so I picked it up).
last .2 -- 1:21 (I did not sprint at all. I did not turn on a finishing kick. I really did just jog it in).
I guess I blew this one because I didn't try and really didn't want to try. After the first mile, I was pretty much done. I should have run the 2 mile race, run fast, and call it a day.
My husband ran the 2-mile and pushed our 3 year old in the jogging stroller (it was allowed), and finished in 17:45. He said he took it easy, but I'm really surprised because I thought he and the little man would take at least 20:00. So good for my hubby!
All in all, I'm happy with my tempo run today. LOL! :p
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


7 comments:
Wanna see my splits? Too bad, I'm going to post them anyway:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LOL Ok slacker :-)
and your BLEH days would be my dream days -- COngrats on first AG
You did great! I wish I could run such a fast pace and call it easy. It's good that you give yourself permission to run according to how you feel. That way, you can enjoy it and run hard when you really want to. It's all part of pacing yourself mentally and physically - there's no reason to put in A race effort all the time, and it would be counterproductive.
Glad you're feeling good though. That's awesome!
Cynthia
It is hard running a race that you are not too interested in. I ran a 5K two weeks ago only because a coworker of DW asked me too because they were doing some kind of team entry. I think I could have won the sucker or maybe second place, but because I was running under someone else and a different age group I could not run it all out. Keep getting out there and set your sights on something like CIM!
Sorry you had bleh, you know the next one will be better...but your hubby - 17:45 with a stroller?!? Does he hide an engine in there? Whew. Between the two of you, you are one swell power couple.
Oops, I'm an idiot, I was thinking hubby ran a 5K at 17:45 w/stroller. Nevermind. :-) They guy is human, after all.
Be patient w/ yourself. The spark will come back soon. Keep training smart and the rest will fall into place!
Great job GB! Way to adjust your effort and enjoy the day. Still blazing fast in my opinion. Congrats to your hubby too!
Post a Comment