When I was a kid I suffered a horrible thing for quite a while. I was a victim, but I survived and here I am as a grown woman. No longer a victim but a survivor. That does not mean I am over it. It means that I have to get on with my life. Although what happened to me was something I've never repressed or forgotten, it's something I've never talked about or acknowledged out loud until recently.
Basically I lived most of my life pretending to be somebody else. And the pain of pretending just grew to be unbearable. By holding it all in my body started to suffer. My relationships suffered. The stress, anger, sadness and regret of it all started to make me feel physically unwell. When I realized that the people I love the most did not know ME for who I really was, I also realized that I needed to tell them. I needed them to know me, whether they wanted to not. I knew in my heart that being honest and real was the way my relationships would thrive, and not just survive. And it is the same with me... I want to THRIVE not just survive.
So I told each one of my siblings and my parents. (My husband knows and is my rock, no doubt about it).
After telling them I felt a sense of lightness and freedom that I had never, ever felt in all my life. For the most part, they've been supportive. But I still don't really know how to be myself around them. And I don't think they know how to relate to me anymore. I still feel the need to be something I'm not in order to stay in contact with them, and that stresses me out and makes me pull back from them. So I guess that puts me back into survival mode and not thriving mode. That's not good.
As time goes by I realize the pain, anger, sadness, stress, regret, etc., is all still inside me. This is where I acknowledge I need some outside help in order to thrive. I do what I can on my own to make me feel better. I run (that's a huge help), I spend time with my husband and children, I see friends whenever I can, I pray, I read the Bible. But I need more help.
So how am I going to get it? First I have to acknowledge some things. Foremost, what happened to me was in NO part my fault. None of it! Secondly, I don't have to have had a life like everyone else and yet I am still a good human being. I can also triumphantly say that the trauma stopped and ended with me.
How I wish the person who did this to me had made it stop and end with them. I am working on forgiveness, though. I don't have to be around this person, I don't have to associate with this person, but in my heart I feel I have to forgive this person in order to move on.
I'm getting some professional help, too. I guess I'm sharing this because I have HOPE, which is such a good thing. If there's one thing that anyone gets out of reading this, I hope it's that you will always have hope.
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


5 comments:
Hugs, GB. I can imagine nothing worse than not being able to be yourself 100%. Sounds like you've come to a brilliant decision to get some help about it, that'll only help you in the long term.
Forgiveness is a beautiful thing and someone with your huge heart would want to do that, I myself find some pieces of crap on this earth don't deserve anything nearing forgiveness, but as long as it's for YOU, then I hope you reach that.
Surviving is half way home
It's interesting your desire for help being a thriver. You seem to be surounded by help, friends, family and professional yet need a hand pulling you out of the survivial pit. My advice would be to do want I did, start beening who you want to be to your family and friends. At first it'll seem strange and uncomforable but it will grow on you and people around you will like it too.
I wish you luck,
Jim Pettitt
thrivingsurvivor.com
It takes a lot of courage to put this out there. I commend you. You are a very strong woman! Admired for your strength to stand up for yourself and to share what happened with your family. Kudos & Hugs!! :)
Thank you for your thoughts, Flo, E & Jim. And also Justin. Justin, I think you nailed it when you mentioned, "feeling inferior." That's exactly how I feel sometimes. Not all the time, but a lot... because I once was a girl who did not have an ideal childhood. I'll be working on fixing the inferiority complex!
Jim, you're so right... I need to be the kind of person I WANT to be and the rest will follow. But it is easier said than done, based on my personal experience.
Anyway, thank you all. I will be fine! My faith is strong.
Just now reading this, but I want to commend you for your courage in facing your past with such dignity and grace.
I try, yet don't always succeed, to live by 4 basic values:
Love, Truth, Gratitude, and Hope.
Your post is a good reminder to me to keep striving.
Thanks,
Jay
Post a Comment