Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Monday, January 18, 2010

I Donated Blood Today

Earlier this month in the town next to mine two firefighters were very seriously injured after they fell through the roof and directly into the heart of the fire. Thankfully they survived, but not without a really big scare. And one of the firefighters just regained consciousness, but is still unable to talk (too much damaged to his throat). Needless to say, both firefighters suffered major burns all over their bodies. 


Today there was a blood drive in their names. People came out in droves!  It really was wonderful to see the community come together for this... even in sideways rain and wind gusts up to 40 mph. At least the blood drive was indoors. :)


So... I ate a good breakfast. Skipped the run in the morning in order to get to the blood drive on time. There were so many people that I was not able to donate until 2 hours later!  That's okay, the waiting was worth it. Somebody's life might be saved because of my donated blood.  The hard part was AFTER.  I felt a little woozy while 'recovering' for the required amount of time. I ate some snacks and drank 16 ounces of juice. But while riding in the car on the way home, my head felt weird and I wanted to hurl my guts out.  Even though it was raining hard and super windy, I had to have the car window all the way down.


Here I am four hours later and the nausea is still here, just not as bad. Very strange.  I had planned on running at least an hour today (actually two hours, but I know that's not going to happen). Now I don't even know if I'll survive an hour long run at this point. I might have to skip it all together and just double up a few days this week to make up the lost time. 


I haven't donated blood in over 6 years. I don't remember ever feeling so nauseated afterward. Oh well, at least now I know how I'll respond in the future. Even though the aftermath did not feel good, I will donate again. With all that's going on in the world... the war, the devastation in Haiti, and local public servants putting their lives on the line, the least I could do is donate a little blood to help my fellow man!  


Godspeed, friends!

2 comments:

L.A. Runner said...

What a great thing and a great cause you supported today! I get frustrated here b/c they have blood drives, but only leave them open from 8 to 5 (not time that I can go). The nausea could've been a one time thing from what you did/didn't eat. They also tell you not to exercise for at LEAST 12 hours, but suggest 24. (I know, seems strict and I probably wouldn't follow that unless I had to.)

Jaymee said...

That's a wonderful thing you did, GB. Thanks for giving.