I ran a 12K in San Francisco today and when I ran it last year, I was in horrendous shape and the course ate me alive. Back then I ran the 7.46 miles in 55-1/2 minutes or so. This year I wanted to run it in the range of 52-53 minutes. Ideally closer to 52 than 53, but I knew I'd be happy with anything in between. I finished officially in 52:51, which is a 7:05 avg. pace. Not bad for me considering the course and my fear of it.
The first 4 miles is hilly with a good, steep uphill climb to the Golden Gate Bridge, and good, steep downhills onto Crissy Field. After that, it's all flat to the end and this is where the race really picks up. Last year it was where I slowed down to a jog! Ha! But I did okay this year.
I wish I could use my Garmin pace as my official "pace" but I didn't run the tangents perfectly so all it tells me is how fast my legs moved. Running outside of the tangents gave me a 7.57 mile race. :( It was too crowded to get into that ideal position every time. Anyway, the Garmin recorded an overall pace of 6:59, based on my ineptness at tangent running. Ho hum, too bad it doesn't count as official but at least I know my legs are moving faster!
My splits were:
6:43 (nice 1/2 mile or so downhill, just wanted to find some kind of groove before I hit the hill)
7:59 (crazy steep and long uphill climb, just told myself to get up the hill one knee lift at a time)
7:03 (recovered on the Golden Gate Bridge, felt pretty good)
6:15 (did I say there was a good steep downhill?) I literally reminded myself not to fly down the hills with each step I took
6:52 (I guess this is where my race began)
6:56 (this is where I was starting to fight the heavy legs and started the self talk w/ "I'm strong," "I love feeling like I'm about to puke," "Don't even think about giving up," "Stick with those two women right in front of you," etc.)
7:01 (oh yes, struggling to get to the finish line; major self talk -- "Relax," "Breathe," "Hang on," "Almost there," "Do not let go of them!")
4:01 for the last .57 (which is about a 7:02 pace). I was breathing out of control in the last 1/2 mile because it's another steep climb (at least it's a short one) followed immediately by a super steep downhill. I think I was actually wheezing!
All in all I'm happy about this race. I felt blessed to be able to push my body to its limits again, and to see the beautiful views that surrounded me. I highly recommend racing in San Francsico... it's really amazing!
I think if the course were nice and flat, or had little rolling hills I would've been able to run 51-52 minutes instead. I hope to run another 12K in April... so maybe I can redeem myself a little more.
Thanks for your time! :)
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


9 comments:
i was there and standing there the whole time - did i miss you???? i knew you have ran this race before too and actually thought i saw you come down the big hill but never saw you come around the corner where i was at (just before the sand) DANG!
GREAT JOB out there today!!! you are amazing lady :)
Awesome job in that weirdo distance! I've never raced a 12K, so I am impressed by your pacing! Great job on your improvements, too! That's quite an accomplishment!
Congratulations, GB!! I'm so sure with a flatter course, you'd knock off a major chunk. Very excited that the old GB is back in business. :-)
Awesome job!
I just came across your blog again, and I'm so excited. I used to love your posts on the RW forums back in the day...I don't think I've been on there for a couple of years.
Anway, I'm running my third marathon this summer and hoping to get my BQ. From BQing to running while nursing, I find you completely inspirational!
How old was your baby when you qualified? If this summer works out for me, my baby will be 9 months.
Great race. You gotta be happy with that. Neat blog - glad I found you. I'm in search of running blogs since I'm trying to increase miles and sneak tips and tricks and recommendations along the way. :)
Wow! I'm new to running! that being said,you going the distance is awesome, one day I'll get there but trying to run just 5 now :-)
Fun!!! New bloggers. I love it. Glad you're reading.
Amy, my baby was just about to turn 1 when I BQ'd. I started getting back into shape when he was about 4 months old, and began marathon specific training when he was 8 months. I nursed him until he was about 25-26 months (but at that time he was down to one nursing session a day).
Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! I may have you beat in the skirt department, but holy cow you are speedy. I'd trade the skirts for that speed anyday!
WOW! Ya...those moms totally pass me when I'm running. Maybe I need have a baby and I'll do really good haha j/j
Have a good Easter ~ Toni
Post a Comment