Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

3rd Week of Boston Training

Yesterday marked the start of week 3 of marathon training for Boston. The workout I did yesterday combined with today's run made me feel like I purged all of the stress away. I am exhausted.

I really appreciate the sweet and encouraging words that fellow bloggers and friends from the RW Masters left for me. You are all so kind, and your input cheered me up. Thanks! I just need to remember all the good things going on in my life right now, and not worry about the future too much. I truly am where I'm supposed to be, and that's good. That's God's will. Sadly today, Mike and I attended the funeral of his cousin's wife's mother. She was a nice lady, a strong woman. She was only 65 but very ill, and finally now her suffering is over and she's at peace.

Yesterday was a recovery day after the 11.5 mile run on Monday, so I did a CrossFit (CF) workout. OH MY, I am sore today. For 20 minutes, I alternated the Power Snatch exercise (12 reps with 20 lbs.) and push ups (10 reps), and was able to do 8 rounds of each. I'm new at the CF stuff, so this just about killed me last night. My heart was pounding so hard I thought it would leap out of my chest. I didn't really feel sore until about 5 p.m. today. Then I felt like a ton of bricks. (By the way, that is not me in the picture. That's a seasoned CrossFitter).

Thinking it would loosen me up, I ran 9 miles on the treadmill on the "hill" setting which threw hills at me every other minute. Inclines ranged from 3.8% up to 7.1% After about 6 miles I switched to the manual setting and did a ladder of hills: 6% incline at a 9:00 pace for 2 minutes, then 2 minutes flat for rest, then 4% at an 8:45 pace for 2 minutes, then rest for 2 minutes, then 3% at 8:30 pace for 2 minutes followed by 2 minutes rest. I then reversed it and went 3%, 4%, then 6%, but for a 1/4 mile each with a 2 minute rest between. It felt good, but I was hurting at the end.

As soon as I got home I nursed the baby and put him down to bed. Then I heated up a cup of decaf, made a post workout snack of Quaker Weight Control oatmeal, threw some mixed nuts into it, and sat in our freezing cold pool for 10 minutes to "ice" my legs while I ate and drank. By the time I got out, it felt like my toes were frostbitten. After I got some dry clothes on I stretched and rolled on the foam roller, then took a nice hot shower. And here I am. Time to get ready for bed. On tap for tomorrow is a 4 mile recovery run w/ 100 meter strides at the end. I might skip the strides if I'm too sore.

God Bless and see ya' tomorrow.
TOTAL MILES: 9

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am exhausted just thinking about all the stuff you did. You are going to SHATTER the clock at Boston.

Tell me more about Cross Fit. Do you have to do it in a gym, or is there a tape/dvd you can work out to at home?

Anonymous said...

So sorry about all your dilemmas... and what you feel about working is very real and very common. I went through it too. Financial pressure sucks. Feeling like you have no control over your life is equally hard. However, this too shall pass. Think of the blessings in your life. It's ok to want more, but everything in due time. If you worked, you spend less time with your family, have less time to train, and have an increase in stress: that would be the downside of working.

Take a few deep breaths, and find ways to keep your mind active!

We miss you on the RWOL Masters forum GB!!! Post soon. We're ready to put out an APB...

moon

GB said...

MOON, you rock sister. Thank you! I'll be posting on the forum soon. I miss you guys.

GB said...

Athena, I tried to leave you a message/comment, don't know if it went through. Check out www.crossfit.com . There's a TON of information on the site. If you like cross training and doing different exercises all the time, then Cross Fit might be a good match for you. I'm so new at it, and it hurts, but I like the variety so I'm sticking with it. I can't afford a membership to a Cross Fit gym, so I do the exercises the best I can on my own.