I just woke up after 3-1/2 hours sleep. I hope to nap twice today when the baby sleeps because hubby is working today and kids are at school. I AM EXHAUSTED. Long night at work last night, but not as crazy as expected, thank God. Home in one piece and that's what the goal always is.
Prior to work yesterday I ran the track intervals. My goal was to stick as close as possible to the McMillan pacing calculator recommendations for me based on my recent 5K finish time of 22:19. I also cut my recovery periods between intervals down by 1 minute. There's a lot of numbers involved so be patient, but the workout went like this:
Warm Up:
1 mile jog to track
4 x 100 strides
1st set of 2 x 1-Mile Repeats at Cruise Interval Pace:
7:00 (goal was 7:23, so, too fast)
1:00 walking recovery
6:48 (goal was 7:23, so, too fast)
2:00 walking recovery
4 x 800 Repeats at Speed Interval Pace:
3:17 (goal was 3:20, so, close enough)
2:00 walking recovery
3:21 (goal was 3:20, so, close enough)
2:00 walking recovery
3:21 (close enough to 3:20)
2:00 walking recovery
3:18 (close enough to 3:20)
2:00 walking recovery
2nd set of 2 x 1-Mile Repeats at Cruise Interval Pace
7:08 (still kinda too fast)
1:00 walking recovery
7:10 (still kinda too fast)
Cool Down: 1 Mile recovery jog home
Cruise Intervals are run close to a tempo pace with no more than 1 minute recovery between.
Speed Intervals are run close to "all-out" with the recovery time being equal to the time it takes to complete the interval. For this workout I cut that recovery time down to 2-minutes.
I felt good and strong. I just want to be able to sustain those kinds of paces in an actual race. I might be able to in a 5K or 10K, but probably not in a marathon.
I'm going to rest today and if I feel okay after a couple of naps, we may venture out for a 4 mile recovery run.
YESTERDAY'S TOTAL MILES: 8.75
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


1 comment:
speeeed work is so humbling :-) well to me-lol
Post a Comment