I was feeling kind of lazy today, or maybe it's more of a blue feeling. Whatever the case, I was getting crabby. After browsing the CrossFit site and reading Shari's Blog I got motivated to do the CrossFit WOD, "Cindy." Shari is a runner and avid CrossFitter and reading her blog always makes me get off my butt.
Complete as many rounds possible in 20 minutes of:
5 pull-ups
10 push-ups
15 squats (no weight)
I did 9 rounds for a total of 45 pull-ups (combo of jumping and bastardized kipping, getting better at it), 90 push-ups (dropped to knees for 4 push-ups only) and 135 squats. I was wobbly at the end of course, but I feel better!
I finished with 4 sets of 15 sit-ups (2 of the sets were not anchored). After this tiny confidence boost, I am now looking forward to the long run tomorrow. :)
P.S. Finished off the day with evening church service. It's so hard sometimes when it's just the kids and me because the baby is squirrely and the kids start to get restless, but it's worth it. We are learning that out of our hectic lives filled with school, homework, sports, work, etc., it's a necessity to take one hour or so out of our week to go to church and open our hearts and minds to something that will always be greater than us. God. I think we're all finally "getting" it. Slowly, but at least it's registering. :)
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


5 comments:
Great workout :)
Just wanted to drop in and say hi
Vanessa
I'm intrigued to find out more about CrossFit. :)
Okay. I've read through the CrossFit website and am eager to give it a go. Yet, I have questions...
How do you fit in running & crossfit? Do you run and crossfit everyday? or alternate?
What does a typical week look like for you? Basically, I run TuThSaSu and swim MW. Since I broke my wrist, I haven't been swimming but have been running a little more each week (easy runs).
What training plan do you use for marathon training?
What kind of warm-up do you do before the WOD?
:)
Hi Makita,
I do CF on my non running days, or easy running days. I run on varied days because of childcare scheduling, but usually it's Tues, Wed, Thurs, Sat and Sun. I'm using Runner's World Online, "Your Ultimate Marathon Training Program" - advanced schedule.
On the easy run days, I run first and then do CrossFit. I usually do the CF workouts that incorporate legs and upper body (like the "circuit" type workouts that say to do X# of rounds of three different exercises within 20 minutes).
When you can, look at the FAQ section of the CF website. There is a detailed description of the warm-up. It includes samson stretch, sit ups, back extensions and pull ups. I usually just do the samson stretches, sit-ups and if someone can hold my feet I do the back extensions.
If you take a look at Shari's blog, she is a hard core runner and Cross Fitter. She recommends running first when doing CrossFit on the same day. Because she knows I'm training for a marathon, she recommended that I do CF only on the easy days or non running days. Sometimes I am just too tired to do any CrossFit, but I always do sit ups and push ups at least 3 times a week. I try to do some kind of squats or box jumps twice a week. It has really helped make me a stronger runner.
That's just what I needed to know! Thank you so much! I want to begin CrossFit NOW and will attempt to do so, but with my wrist still healing (cast was removed one week ago today) it is still tender and I won't be able to do pullups, pushups, etc. that require I put my weight on my wrist or use my arms much. I'll have to ease into these exercises.
Heading over to the CF site now to see what the WOD is... then off to the gym for my daughter's swim class - I hope I'll be able to get the WOD done then! :)
Post a Comment