Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Tuesday Hill Day

Today was another gorgeous day. My husband and I took the baby to see my parents, and they were kind enough to watch him as we went for a little date. Our date consisted of me running 12 miles worth of hills, while he rode his bike over the same course. The 12 miles went by fast because he was there keeping me company, although by his own admission he said he got quite a good workout on the uphills.



I looked at my watch every 3 miles and the 4 splits looked like this:
Miles 1-3 in 26:53 (8:57 pace)
Miles 4-6 in 25:11 (8:23 pace)
Miles 7-9 in 26:06 (8:42 pace)
Miles 10-12 in 24:50 (8:16 pace)



I ran the 12 miles in 1:43:00, an overall/average pace of 8:35. I can see by these splits that the hills were more arduous on the way out than they were on the way back. Whatever the case, they had me saying bad words in the last mile.



I was very pleased with this run today though, because the hills were tough. They were long and steep and I felt the lactic acid build up in my legs. Today was a good run day!





The downhills were also long and steep. I practiced proper form as much as possible and felt no pain during the run. Right now I'm a little sore, but I plan on soaking in that icy pool of ours tomorrow.



It was so great to catch up to my husband on the uphills (it's tougher to get up those things on a bike). As he passed me on the way down he said, "You're such a stud," and coming from him that's a great compliment! He really helped push me through this workout today. Thanks Darlin'.






Thanks mom and dad for watching the baby for us. We really appreciate it!

Looking forward to a recovery 4-miler tomorrow.







TOTAL MILES: 12

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pics! Such beautiful pictures of you, your husband and your little one! God bless!

vanessa40 said...

Great run...love the pics..glad to hear you and your husband had a nice time

Vanessa

jeffem said...

Sounds like a great run and quality time with the husband also!

Faithful Soles said...

Great post and great run on the hills. You obviously paced yourself very well to be so much faster on the way in, even if it was more downhill. By the way, I want to thank you for linking to our Blog Database on the main Faithful Soles web site. We now have bloggers from 37 states in the USA and 20 other countries.

Arron said...

nice run and some realy great looking terrain. later.

Nuke Runner said...

What a beautiful run. That downhill work will really pay off at Boston. I've found that my biggest improvement in preparing for Boston was working on my downhill running. Out here, the only "hill" is the bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Nice Pics- those hills like a good workout!! I will be adding Bridge workouts next week...only Hills we have here in FL--LOL

Brooke said...

What an awesome date. Great pictures too.

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed the book 26 Miles to Boston - I wonder if every qualified Boston runner knows that a good percentage of the runners WITH numbers never ran qualifying times but instead - raised money for a charity / foreign tour group / lottery / political connection, etc. Its a great race and called Men's and Women Open for a reason - keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Michael Connelly

Anonymous said...

Michael, thanks so much for visiting my blog. I finished your book this week and it was so helpful and very enjoyable! I recommend it to anyone that asks about books on the Boston Marathon. I know there are thousands of runners each year who run Boston that weren't necessarily "qualifiers," and I say the more the merrier. When I'm running the 26.2 from Hopkinton to Boston, the last thing on my mind will be who qualified and who didn't. I might have cared about that for a split second at one time or another, but it just doesn't matter. We marathoners all have the same goals...to make it across that finish line! Thanks again for inspiring me to be a better runner! Your story is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck in Boston - I'll check in to see how you do. Enjoy every second.

Michael

Unknown said...

How cute is that hubby of yours in his helmet. :-) It's so great that you two can spend some good quality time together. It's so important to have that support. You are one lucky woman!! Love ya, M.