Here is Jacob's race report from Boston. If this doesn't make you wanna get out there and run already, I don't know what will!
This man had the perseverence to gut out the marathon distance without the crowd support and without the aid stations (the organizers had already taken them down). He finished Boston! Three cheers for Jacob.
Hip, Hip, Hooray!
Hip, Hip, Hooray!
Hip, Hip, Hooray!
It's been a week since the race. Please permit me to lament some. How can I describe what I'm feeling these days? It's like the days after Christmas and New Year's, when you know the holidays have come to an end. You just can't believe it's over. I wish the Boston experience could last forever, but that's what running in '08 is for! To relive the excitement all over again. I have to refocus now. Enjoy my summer, enjoy short races, enjoy long runs that are only up to 14 miles. Okay, I feel better now. So long Boston '07! I'll never forget you.
Thanks for indulging me, folks! Time for me to move on to a new topic. ;) Hmmm, what to type? What to type?
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


11 comments:
ONLY up to 14 miles....lol. The 3m Half is the farthest I've gone so far this year!!! Time for me to start putting in some longer miles. Keep me inspired!! :O)
I hope that he uses this as a stepping stone to do better. His story is sad but yet I think he owes it to himself to lose weight and better his health. It was a very interesting story. Thanks Lillie..
jacob was a bandit.
he didn't qualify for the race and he didn't register or pay to run the race. that is fine that he ran the course but i have a problem with bandits.
i think that is great that jacob went the distance. but it is not fair to all those that worked so hard to get to boston and paid for the event. he didn't help pay for all the permits, aid, police escorts, etc., etc.
just my 2 cents
What's your next adventure??
Neat story. Thank goodness you're not a running snob!
Hi Running Man, I need some inspiration of my own! Thanks for coming by.
Deck Ape, apparently he said he would not attempt another Boston until he qualified, so I assume he's going to continue running and hopefully losing weight. Someone on RW Beginners posted his link and that's how I learned about him. It'll be interesting to see how he progresses (hopefully not regresses).
Mtnrunr, Hey Tom I hear you on the bandit issue. It really gets to people sometimes, but I don't know why it has never bothered me that much. Maybe I'm too much of a sap and try to see the good in everything. Sometimes I think I am!I had to look at it like he was trying to reach his goals and he didn't let anything stop him. Yes he was a bandit, no he did not pay the $90 fee, no he did not qualify, but he wants to be a runner. He wants to run and lose weight and be healthy. I have to praise anybody for that! I think after this experience he'll realize what he needs to do to take on such an enormous endeavor again. And hopefully he'll at least be a charity runner or pay the invitational fee. But I can't despise anybody for giving it the effort he did. There's something to be said for "ordinary Joes," and "the underdog."
Keith, next adventure??? Breaking 21:00 in a 5K and 43:00 in a 10K.
Anonymous, thanks for visiting! I love running too much to ever be snobby about it. What is a running snob anyway???? I don't think I know any!
GB,
Running snobs are those who would scoff at this guy's efforts, looking down on him for trying, and feeling resentful that he didn't pay the entry fee (by his own admission he didn't take advantage of any of the race-sponsored resources). In the article, he states that he got plenty of mean stares from other runners, probably running snobs. Thankfully, I don't know any either, and you certainly are very humble which is why I especially like reading your blog!
That s truly an amazing story! I only hope that I could finish the Honolulu Marathon even if I have to be like him!!! Thanks for keeping me insoired. I only hope that I could also do Boston one day!!! God Bless!!!
you should have no problem breaking the 21:00 mark on the 5k and 43:00 on the 10k.
Hope you're doing well!
Thanks for sharing. Your opinions/thoughts are very well stated and I agree whole-heartedly. :)
I think you will reach your 5K and 10K goals this summer/fall. I once broke 21:00 for 5K (even if it was on an indoor track) and if I can do it, you definitely can!
Thanks for the link to Jacob's story. I have mixed feelings on bandits. It sort of depends on how they do it--in this case he stayed out of the way, didn't use amenities meant for registered runners, and it looked like he had his own support crew with him. It's hard to argue with someone who just wants to run the course. I mean, he was on the sidewalk half the time! I definitely have to admire his perseverance; it's hard to imagine spending almost 10 hours completing a marathon.
Post a Comment