I ran 5.4 miles in the wind today, but I know our wind does not compare to the headwind I will run into on Monday.
Michael Connelly, a native of Massachusetts, a Boston Marathon alum and author of 26 Miles to Boston sent me a comment in the previous blog saying, "Its gonna be a special race on Monday and you're gonna be part of it. Enjoy and survive. They're talking a head wind I'm sorry to say. But you'll be able to say you conquered the Boston Marathon in 2007."
He's right! I am going to go into it positively. I know I worked my tail off for this race but you can't control the weather, so the new PR will have to come later this year. Another good thing is I have a race on April 29 that this will be good conditioning for.
Anyway I threw in the following fartleks (speedplay) into the run today:
Between Miles 1-2 I threw in 1:58 minutes @ 7:17 pace (.27 miles).
Between Miles 2-3 I threw in 3:13 minutes @ 6:50 pace (.47 miles).
Between Miles 3-4 I threw in 4:00 minutes @ 7:01 pace (.57 miles).
Between Miles 4-5 I threw in 4:00 minutes @ 7:16 pace (.55 miles).
At 5 miles my watch said 39:50 (7:58 pace).
At mile 5.4 my watch said 43:35 (8:04 pace overall).
I didn't mean to run the miles at marathon goal pace or at 10K race pace and tempo pace, but it just happened. I felt good.
Okay, gonna sit in the pool for 15 minutes before I finish packing.
Thanks for reading my blog and offering such awesome and encouraging words! If you have your own blog sites please let me know what they are so I can visit. Have a great weekend everybody! God Speed!
TOTAL MILES: 5.4
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


32 comments:
you are going to rock it girl!! i cant wait to read you race report!! good luck. later.
GB -
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE put your bib number up again. I know I've seen it in here but I really don't want to spend forever trying to find it. :) Can you put it real big up in your headline or something so it's easy for all your fans to find before Monday? :) I'll be looking for you on my tube. >>>MsMak
Best of luck Lillie!! I've enjoyed reading your blog....will say a prayer that you have a super time!
gb,
remember to have fun and soak in everything along the way - you made it to Boston so you are already a winner! Relax, eyes on the horizon, shoulders down, jaw relaxed, arms reach forward, chest lifted...and BREATHE. You will make your goal time girl! And if it's raining, it's just God cooling you off!! ;) Good luck and I can't wait to hear all about it. Wish I was there with you....
yea, have fun.
also, don't be ashamed to tuck in behind someone if it is truely a gnarley headwind. Look at bikers in the pelaton. because of drafting the ones behind can expend as much as 30% less energy. give it a try. probably switch people every now and then so you don't get any dirty looks.
have fun,
tom
GB,
Good luck! You're going to do great -- be sure to try and take in the whole experience as this is a once in a lifetime that most of us will never accomplish. I can't wait to read the post-race report!
GB, can't wait until Monday and to watch you on the web!! I hope you have fun along the course and make sure to soak in all the fan support.
Have a great race!!!Good luck and have fun!!!
Good Luck!
I can't wait to hear about the race, and I hope that I can see a little bit of it on TV in Canada! :)
I'm planning on watching (or at least Tivo'ing) the race on Monday! Good luck - you will do GREAT after all your super hard work!
GB bib #: 15579 for MsMak
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have a great time GB, enjoy the moment we will be cheering you on in Spirit!! You are going to do Awesome!
GOD Speed!!
Thank You Bob Gentile! I just logged on and was going to go through old posts to try and find it -- but decided to peek here to see if she posted it in the comments. THANK YOU!!!
GB,
You are going to rock Boston!!
You have truley been an insirpation to me during your training. You have trained in ALL weather conditions, you will do great!
I'll be saying a prayer for you & all the Boston runners!
God Bless!
G
Best of Luck! I think I've seen you over on the runners world forums. Anyway, I'm sure you'll do great in Boston. Looking forward to reading all your posts about it.
One last good luck wish! I am probably going to get very little done at work tomorrow, since I will be following you and a couple other online friends who are running Boston this year, and watching any Internet coverage I can find. You are going to be AWESOME!
Good luck tomorrow! (weather permitting)
There are these great new shorts available for the iPod user that enjoys an active lifestyle. The shorts have a pocket to hold your iPod and a system to contain the earphone cord. No more annoying cord in your face and catching on everything! You're free to safely and conveniently live your active lifestyle while listening to your music. Other iPod clothing and accessories available as well.
Digital Audio Wear
Check it out!
GB,
I'm positive you are going to rock Boston! I only wish I can be there to watch you do it! Can't wait to read your next post. I'm sure t's going to be full of exciting news form Boston!!!
Good Luck at Boston..Be careful..i know you will do great
Vanessa
Hope the weather in Boston right now isn't as nasty as it is here in northern Delaware.
It's 9:37 am here right now, so you're probably already out in the nastiness waiting for the start. I'll be sending warm thoughts your way as I sit here at work tracking you throughout the race.
GOOD LUCK!!
Woohoo! You can do it, looking forward to hearing a good report.
See Red Run
Oh my gosh - I've checked on your status... at the half you clocked 1:45:43, an 8:04 pace. Way to Go! You are doing AWESOME!
gb is picking it up to finish; she just passed the 40K point and is close to 8:00 pace :)
WOW! She did it! What a strong finish; excellent run gb! sub8mpm! sub 3:30!
What an AMAZING race. GB, I am so proud of you! I've been following your progress on the BAA site with bated breath. You did it!!! You are an amazing inspiration. I absolutely cannot wait to read the report. I think the adversity definitely brought out the best in you!
Holy SPEEDY GB--- Way to GO!!!!! Congrats you ur PR :-) Sweet!
great race negative splits to boot!sawwwwweeeeeeet. fantastic!!!
WOW! WOW! WOW!
Congratulations! :)
Congratulations GB!!!!! That was an awesome marathon time! You deserve it with all the training that you've put in. I've been reading your blog since I stumbled across it a couple of months ago. (I'm the Runners World lurker that said hi to you at CIM.) You've been a true inspiration to me. I only wish I could put in half as much heart and soul as you have into your training to not only run in Boston, but set a PR! Congratulations again!!!!
Joy "little Miss J"
Holy Smokes!! Truly amazing GB. All that training and dedication really paid off. I logged onto the BAA site a little late and it was SLOW since so many fans were undoubtedly doing the same...but I managed to get on just after you passed the half mark. I hope you are very proud. I can't wait to read your update!! >>MsMak (PS - I saw you found me on the other site :) Thanks! I rarely pop in there anymore but it was fun to see a note from you!)
I just pulled up your results on the Boston Marathon website. 3:29:19!!! That is awesome! I watched it on tv. The Verses network had full coverage. The weather was terrible. Congrats on a great race under terrible weather conditions.
Amazing race, GB!!! I watched it on tv on Verses as well. Almost cried watching all you wet, but happy people pass the starting line!
Congratulations on an awesome race - all that hard work paid off for sure!
I don't know if any of you will be checking back in these comments, but I really can't thank you enough for all the great vibes you sent me during that race! I must have felt them because I finished! :) I hope to return the favor to all of you.
Joy, so good to hear from you! How's the running going? Hope to see you at the CIM again this year.
MsMak, how's your training??? Keep me posted. You've got speedy legs and I know with the right training you will nail your races.
Post a Comment