Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Sunday, May 20, 2007

1984 Women's Olympic Marathon

Okay, we all know Joan Benoit Samuelson got the GOLD at the first Women's Olympic Marathon in 1984. But do you remember Gabriela Andersen? Words cannot describe how I feel when I watch the video of her 1984 Olympic Marathon finish. I just watched it AGAIN, and I cried AGAIN. She was amazing, freaking amazing. She REFUSED help until she crossed the finish line. They only let her continue because she was sweating, which was a "good" sign. Watch the video and you'll see what I mean.

When you feel like you can't go on, when your mind is playing tricks on you, just say a quick prayer and then let your body take over. Sometimes our bodies know what to do even when our minds tell us we can't go on.

RUN ON FRIENDS!

5 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

WOW what an amazing video finish, what heart!!!

GB, see U are such an ULTRA runner in the making if this kind of stuff gets u jacked up!

Mir said...

Thanks for that, GB! I literally got tears in my eyes watching that. What a testament to the human spirit. I had seen snatches of that before, but never the whole thing. Just incredible.

GB said...

Glad you like the video, Bob and Mir!
And Bob, I WILL do an ultra before next summer. I will!!!

keith said...

i think that shows the kind of indomitable spirit one has to have when doing endurance things.

pain is temporary, right?

Chris said...

The most moving and amazing sporting moment I have ever seen. I was in Paris drinking wine, watching it in the middle of the night on French TV. I was jumping up and down with tears as I watched her go on and on and on.