Running is a good thing. Try it, you'll like it!

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Long Shadows

I ran at 5:30 this afternoon. It was hot but bearable, and I actually enjoyed the heat. As I ran, I followed my shadow. It was long and strange. I could see my running form and corrected my posture, pulled my elbows in, and relaxed my shoulders. Then I thought, "I missed that shadow. That's what I love about late afternoon running." My shadow is like my running partner.

Did 6 miles at an "easy" pace of 8:52/mile(53:15). Felt good. I jumped in to the pool afterward. The area outside my right knee aches a bit and is tight, and there's tightness in my right hip. I wonder if this is what IT Band syndrome feels like when it's coming on. Anyone know? I'm going to roll and stretch like crazy!

Lastnight before bed I did 4 sets of 15 sit-ups and 6 sets of 10 push-ups. Tomorrow is a rest day, but depending on the workout of the day, I might do CrossFit.

TOTAL MILES: 6
WEEKLY TOTAL: 16.6

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds of one of my runs. I believed I used my shadow to kind of play a game to distract myself. Sometimes when my shadow is right in front of me I would tell myself, "look! even your shadow is faster than you are." But when my shadow is on my side or behind me, I would say, "you're doing great Jojit! You're beating your shadow."

Hope you'll feel better soon! Have a happy Sunday and a good week!

kelly said...

Hi, it sure sounds like your IT band that is bothering you. Besides using the roller and stretching, I found that deep massaging of that tendon everyday works best. Good luck!

pika said...

Have you thought about adding yoga a couple of times a week? My niece swears that it cured her ITB issues (she's a rower, runner and triathlete).

I know I truly miss yoga and now that Mr. Bear is almost fully independent again, I'm going to start going back to classes in a week or so. I know it made a difference for me.

You might want to think about it.

Anonymous said...

is that you (or your shadow) in the photo on the beach? looks like torrance or redondo beach. nothing like running at the edge of the surf. :)

GB said...

Hi Athena,
I found the picture on the internet, and it's of a runner on the beach in Maui. One of my favorite places! I wish it was me!

Hey Pika,
I know I need to be better about stretching and going to regular yoga classes will probably help. Stretching AND massage would probably be great together.

Hi Kelly,
I'm definitely going to find some self-massage tips for the IT Band. I don't want it to become a problem. Thanks for the tip!

Hi Jojit! That shadow was on the beach in Maui. It's not me though. I wish it was. You're so fortunate to live where you do!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey GB,
Your leg pain sounds just like when I injured my IT Band. It was usually fine for about 30-35 minutes of a run and then -- Poof, just like that I would have to stop running. I had to take a "few months" off of running and then go back real slow. Nip it in the butt now! Ice, massage, and (I hate to say it) REST. Good luck with it. Just don't push it.
~Jo Lynn

GB said...

Hi Jo Lynn, I'm definitely keeping my eye on this thing. I only feels sore when I don't run though. So far no soreness during the run, but when I stop...lookout! I'll keep up with the ice, massage, and rest. I'm still logging very low miles right now.